WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

23 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

12k for a Cherokee?!? People really don't do their research before bidding on there... 

This is what I was getting at.  I've ridden in so many of those and they are bad, like really bad.

Also I thought BAT was supposed to sell rarish/cool cars.  A '98 Cherokee is so far from any of that even with low miles.

4 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

This is what I was getting at.  I've ridden in so many of those and they are bad, like really bad.

Also I thought BAT was supposed to sell rarish/cool cars.  A '98 Cherokee is so far from any of that even with low miles.

They're pretty much tractors, and handle/ride exactly like you'd expect a tractor to handle at 60mph haha. I think they're actually pretty awesome though, in the way that they're super capable off-road right out of the box, super simple to work on, look pretty good, and are really reliable (unless you have a 97+, then it's only a matter of time till you crack the head). They're no different than a non-m e30 in terms of rarity/cool factor but just to a different crowd, and just like e30's the majority are beat up, rusted, and ready for the junkyard, so a clean low miles one is fairly desirable. My girlfriend had one for 8 years and I drove it a lot, I'd buy one again... but with that being said, you'd have to be smoking something strong to spend 12k on one!

59 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

They're pretty much tractors, and handle/ride exactly like you'd expect a tractor to handle at 60mph haha. I think they're actually pretty awesome though, in the way that they're super capable off-road right out of the box, super simple to work on, look pretty good, and are really reliable (unless you have a 97+, then it's only a matter of time till you crack the head). They're no different than a non-m e30 in terms of rarity/cool factor but just to a different crowd, and just like e30's the majority are beat up, rusted, and ready for the junkyard, so a clean low miles one is fairly desirable. My girlfriend had one for 8 years and I drove it a lot, I'd buy one again... but with that being said, you'd have to be smoking something strong to spend 12k on one!

I agree they have an attraction to a certain crowd, the things that fell apart wheeling an XJ I thought was a bit excessive.  It's a jeep thing, I just don't understand.  I'll stick with my LandCruiser ;)  Parts availability is the only thing a Jeep beats the LC at.

I will admit as a daily the LC would get tiring, 11 mpg, ride quality of a covered wagon, etc.  But when you get (not need) to jump out and lock the front hubs in it's a lot of smiles per gallon.

Rained extremely hard in Madison last night, apparently park street was under a foot or two of water w/ around 20 cars disabled in it. It also hailed marble sized stones, it took me a minute to figure out what the hell was bouncing off my window and making so much noise haha. 

We need some good thunderstorms, its been a while since ive really taken a solid dump in my knickerbockers. 

The last really good one was the Eagle tornado (2012?) my roof was being redone and all i had was tar-paper on the roof when it hit. I got home to the ceilings drooping because of pooling water, streams of water running out of light fixtures, and random spots on the ceiling turning yellow. The clouds were wicked and the thunder was hyooge.

The storm was almost worth the extensive cleanup I had to deal with for the next month after.

Im glad im not in that house anymore. 

6 hours ago, snap said:

We need some good thunderstorms, its been a while since ive really taken a solid dump in my knickerbockers. 

The last really good one was the Eagle tornado (2012?) my roof was being redone and all i had was tar-paper on the roof when it hit. I got home to the ceilings drooping because of pooling water, streams of water running out of light fixtures, and random spots on the ceiling turning yellow. The clouds were wicked and the thunder was hyooge.

The storm was almost worth the extensive cleanup I had to deal with for the next month after.

Im glad im not in that house anymore. 

No joke, I was standing in a road in Mukwonago near Clarendon "man timing" that storm.  Man timing is a thing my buddies and i have done since 07ish which involves taking your shirt off whenever man time is called by someone in the group.  It sounds weird because it is and usually happens during inappropriate times.  I can't explain why but it's a thing within my group of friends.  Either way, I mantimed the shit out of that tornado with a buddy only after we were suckered into attending a pyramid scheme meeting because my buddy was in to the girl that invited us.  We heard the tornado was coming, the owner of the home wanted all of us to seek shelter in the basement and tried to pull the "my home my rules" card.  We walked out of this "meeting" at someones home in Eagle and drove to my buddies house in Mukwonago and decided it was the perfect time to mantime a tornado.  And now you all know too much.

I've driven a BMW every day for a few years now, and there hasn't been any need to save up large sums of money. The first thing you need to do is lower your standards to a level that is within your means (hard to do, because this is America...), and then take that amount of money, cut it in half, and then buy two cars. That way when one breaks you still have another vehicle to drive while you fix the first one, and visa-versa.

There was a kid on facespace recently that was looking to trade his decent looking, white, 4-liter, 6-speed swapped e34 for an e30. When pressed, he said that he'd be looking for "upwards of $4k" cash price. I was a little tempted... Yes, it's going to need some maintenance, and you're going to have to put up with some of the faults of a 30 year old car, but if you keep it reasonably well maintained, it's a hell of a nice car even by today's standards considering the price of admission.

56 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Tried to start this old e24 last Friday but the high pressure fuel pump wouldn't work.  New one arriving today.  It has been on stands in the garage for 14 years.

IMAG0773_zpsm1dwvjqg.jpg

IMAG0811_zpsxxwztqxv.jpg

Nice color too. Plans? I know a guy who might be interested...

16 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Nice color too. Plans? I know a guy who might be interested...

I think he told his wife he would try to sell it because he wanted to buy a Pontiac G8.  However he doesn't actually want to if I read between the lines.  He is retiring in less than 2 years and I think he would like to drive it.  It has a cool history, All of the modifications were done directly after leaving the dealer by Miller Norbern which i think was the only Alpina authorized place east of the Rocky Mountains at that time.  They desmogged it at that time and installed Alpina suspension, adjustable sway bars, and the wheels.  They also put on SuperSprint headers and Primaflow exhaust.  It has what I assume was a dealer installed BMW CB radio. 

Gary the owner is the second owner, he bought it in '93.  He did sell it to his neighbor for a few years and then bought it back.  The head was cracked, the early M30 heads are very weak from large water jacket ports.  It has been parked since the fall of '04 because he didn't know what to do with it.  I met him and got him motivated to work on it again.  We pulled the engine to refresh everything.  We installed a head from I think an '85 euro M30, it needs the L-Jet distributor so a late motronic head wouldn't work, or maybe just the L-Jet cam is needed to drive the distributor.  I'm not totally sure.

Every coolant hose and rubber fuel line is new.  The engine was rebuilt besides taking out the rotating assembly, there was no point to taking it out, everything looked perfect.  The head was cleaned up and got a modern 3 angle valve job.  It should be ready for driving anywhere.  I think he would be looking for 20-25k.  It isn't your average craigslist e24.  It has been stored in a dry garage always and has NO rust anywhere.  There are a few door dings on the passenger side is about the only flaw.  Is the price crazy?  What do you think?

59 minutes ago, Earl said:

At least it is still clean even though it hasn't seen the road. I want those wheels badly=)

It had a cover over it except when we were working on it.  He is very anal about everything being clean.  The wheels are really cool, I highly doubt he would separate them.  What is a set like that worth?  They are staggered 16".

Super cool car. Price is a little steep, as I assume he could reasonably get $15-20k for it to the right guy. 

Wheels are worth anywhere from $1500-3000. They look like they are in stunning shape so I would assume closer to $3k

I wish mine still had the CB in it. I had all the wiring for the factory phone and CB but it was all hacked up and incomplete :(

16 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Super cool car. Price is a little steep, as I assume he could reasonably get $15-20k for it to the right guy. 

Wheels are worth anywhere from $1500-3000. They look like they are in stunning shape so I would assume closer to $3k

I wish mine still had the CB in it. I had all the wiring for the factory phone and CB but it was all hacked up and incomplete :(

The wheels are almost perfect, should they have center caps though?  There is no curb damage, just a few chips or marks in the black paint around the lug holes.  I appreciate the feedback, here are a few more pictures.  We went on the maiden voyage last night.  it drives nice.  A few electrical problems I think due to the ground strap from battery negative to the body near the fuse box is not in great shape.

Also the cold start valve was only getting .6V which is not enough to open it.  I powered it with 12V and it sprayed nice into a pop bottle so we put it back in and I powered it with 12V to get it started.  Once it was started and warmed a little it ran good.

Sorry for the poor quality, 2009ish Canon Powershot.

5DznwyR.jpg?1

PE90vwv.jpg

9e4ysg9.jpg

t5bfZxJ.jpg

Just now, Earl said:

They have center caps in them from what I can see. All of the older Alpina wheels have visible lugs with a cap popped in the center.

Yes they have the Alpina center caps, I thought it was odd that they didn't have the bigger smooth covers over the whole black area.  That must have just been later ones.  I am no wheel expert for sure.

36 minutes ago, Earl said:

They have center caps in them from what I can see. All of the older Alpina wheels have exposed lugs with a cap popped in the center.

This. Earl is correct.

That engine bay is guuudumb amazing. These cars can be electrical nightmares. If you have any questions feel free to ask me or @YoungCR as we have both delt with these electrical systems quite a bit.

I solved all of my electrical gremlins with this awesome guide: http://www.hiperformancestore.com/motronic.htm

(Step 14 talks about the cold start valve)

And Bigcoupe.com is a really good source too!