WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

2 minutes ago, snap said:

Today's radio hacking:

co-worker is now pretty sure its somehow his phone interfering with the radio and said "I really thought maybe you guys were fuckin' with me.... that would be a really good prank"

Winter Storm Warning incoming............

This has been the most entertaining thing ever. I almost (...almost) wish someone listened to the radio near my cubicle 

Joe, thanks so much for that audio clip hahah!

Winter Storm Warning is in effect

I stealthily switched on the transmitter then walked away from my desk without him noticing. I sacrificed the potential humor of his commentary in order to stay undercover. I walked over about 30 feet to talk to some other co-workers. I told them what was broadcasting and right as i did, the co-worker piped up "They're saying a winter storm warning"  and the 2 guys I was talking to almost couldnt contain their laughter. I made my way back to my desk and he was searching for a different station as he said "It's like theres a devil in my radio.....they said we're gonna get 6 inches of snow near the illinois border"

he is now walking around telling people and trying to make sense of it. hopefully there is some more commentary to update with later

update:  I haven't done any more broadcasting since the winter storm warning but he keeps mentioning how cryptic and weird this whole radio thing is and how there must be some logical explanation. At the moment I believe nobody in the office is on his radar. 

update: "now that i want to show people it wont happen.. ... im not entirely positive that someone here isnt fuckin' with me.... im almost feeling a bit like im having psychotic episodes"

update: I played the theme song to the old tv show Three's Company. Something I have never watched and is obscure enough that he wouldn't expect me to know about. 

Operation Surfin' Bird is Over. I anticipated my coworker turning the radio on pretty accurately within a few minutes time frame and already had a repeating loop of a phone operator recording  "If you'd like to make a call, please hang up and try again, if you need help dial the operator..."   so as soon as he turned the radio on thats what he heard. Conveniently I was out at my car grabbing something so i came back to a bit of a buzz in the office with everyone but him laughing.

I followed up a bit later with a phone busy signal recording  to try and get him to think it was his phone again.  he was genuinely flustered and confused. then a few minutes later followed that up with modem sounds.  During the modem sounds he walked sneakily over to my desk and caught me unplugging the device and hiding it. He knew i was the culprit but still not exactly how I was doing it.  a bit later he insisted that i tell him how i did it so i broadcast a hank hill "BWAAAAH!!!" and went over to his desk to explain. He said the time i played his own band over the radio really really freaked him out and gave him the chills, so at least theres that.

It was fun while it lasted!

My old point-and-shoot crapped out again, so I decided to get a new camera. Didn't care to spend 6 weeks shopping around, and didn't want to spend a lot of money, but knew I wanted to step up to something a little better, so I decided to pick up a vintage entry-level DSLR off ebay (Nikon D3100 circa 2010). Had it 4 hours so far, and it's been fun. Nothing cool to take pictures of here though, so here's my roommates dog.

b03P1sb.jpg

It's not pro-grade by a long shot, but I think it will suit my needs just fine.

37 minutes ago, Ryan... said:

Nice weather means they're out there in the planes, we'll be seeing a lot of them out there for the next 2-3 months.

Between Janesville and LaCrosse yesterday I saw at least 12 squads either in traffic, parked or with someone pulled over on 94.  Looks like there's some kind of initiative going on.

29 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Between Janesville and LaCrosse yesterday I saw at least 12 squads either in traffic, parked or with someone pulled over on 94.  Looks like there's some kind of initiative going on.

Lots of state funded traffic grants going on at this time too... Some departments have traffic grants as mandated OT, so there's going to A LOT of policia out there patrolling the highways for speeders.

1st world problems. Maybe I've gotten old or had a brain aneurysm or something, but I'm more often than not impressed with how law-abiding most traffic is. Google "3rd world traffic" or "russian dash cam" or something similar if you have any doubts...

The best one for is when you're at a red light and there isn't a single car that goes through the green, but everyone sits there and waits, sometimes for a minute or two. Plenty of time to look around to make sure there's no cops, and then drive through, but 99.9+% of the time everyone just sits there waiting...

Speaking of 1st world problems 😀

Still playing around with the new camera. LED taillights do the PWM things.

L2Pk4EW.jpg

One of these days I'll have to travel more than 20 feet from my apartment to find something interesting to take pictures of. Concert photography is near the top of my list currently, so I've mostly been trying to figure out how to take pictures in the dark (not an easy thing to do, believe it or not...)

10 hours ago, HipMF said:

The best one for is when you're at a red light and there isn't a single car that goes through the green, but everyone sits there and waits, sometimes for a minute or two. Plenty of time to look around to make sure there's no cops, and then drive through, but 99.9+% of the time everyone just sits there waiting...

Admittedly I don't wait for every red light either, especially when the light changes to red as I approach and there's nobody else on the road at 4am. Fuck that shit.

42 minutes ago, Ryan... said:

Admittedly I don't wait for every red light either, especially when the light changes to red as I approach and there's nobody else on the road at 4am. Fuck that shit.

Just like stop signs, they are treated as you would a yield when no one else is around before 5am=)

11 hours ago, HipMF said:

1st world problems. Maybe I've gotten old or had a brain aneurysm or something, but I'm more often than not impressed with how law-abiding most traffic is. Google "3rd world traffic" or "russian dash cam" or something similar if you have any doubts...

Speaking of 1st world problems 😀

Still playing around with the new camera. LED taillights do the PWM things.

L2Pk4EW.jpg

One of these days I'll have to travel more than 20 feet from my apartment to find something interesting to take pictures of. Concert photography is near the top of my list currently, so I've mostly been trying to figure out how to take pictures in the dark (not an easy thing to do, believe it or not...)

cool shot! for night shooting invest in a 35mm 1.8 (can be had for super cheap on craigs.) the 1.8 aperture lets you get great and-held shots in the dark. its by far the best lens for your money you can get for a DX Nikon. there's also a 50mm, but that fov tends to be a bit narrow, at least for me.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/d/nikon-dx-35mm-118/6585737854.html

some of my hand-held night shots using a 1.8:

Closed.

Reserved Parking

Danger Deep Water

794 in the Fog

also, a good tripod and learning your shutter timer/control can yield some cool stuff. this was a ~30sec exposure at night (that's the moon) i took in Colorado

Trout Lake by Moonlight

30 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

Reserved Parking

Hey that's on Corcoran! I see that spot every day and I never thought to get a picture there, it amazes me how you can take a spot like that and end up with something so awesome to look at. 

Someday I'd like to learn how to take decent pictures, but for now I'll just torture you all with out of focus and badly framed shots of random car stuff taken with a potato. 

5 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Hey that's on Corcoran! I see that spot every day and I never thought to get a picture there, it amazes me how you can take a spot like that and end up with something so awesome to look at. 

Someday I'd like to learn how to take decent pictures, but for now I'll just torture you all with out of focus and badly framed shots of random car stuff taken with a potato. 

You can also do a lot of cool stuff with light painting during an extended exposure. Check out approximately 3,297,321 videos on Youtube all about it.