WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

6 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

out of that list, I vote TSX all day. What are you looking to spend, and are you concerned with miles? 

The TSX is my first choice.  It must be auto, $4k max, lower the miles the better and I don't want to drive more than 75 miles-ish to get it.  I looked at one in Whitewater and planned to buy it but the guys sisters accord blew up so she had to borrow his car for a week.  No big deal.  I set up a time to come pick it up a few days later and the day before i'm going to get it the guy calls me to tell me his sister is a lot broker than he expected and so she'll be driving the car until she can afford to fix hers.  I've messaged a few people about their TSX and either haven't gotten a response, it sold quickly or when asked if their negotiable on the price after I look at it they say no.

I'm trying to get a hold of a guy with an 03 accord about 50 min's south of me with 100k on it but haven't heard back from him.

7 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I won't drive to Chicago for this car, I just can't do it. I did find an 03 accord but the guy told me is got a rebuilt title.  Anyone ever deal with a rebuilt title?

I've owned a few cars with rebuilt titles.  Usually banks will finance 50% of the value, I mean of a non-rebuilt version.  They insure exactly the same way, however I'm not sure how the payout would work as I've never re-totaled a rebuilt car.  I do know the rates and such are the same though.

Pretty much it's un-eventful other than a sucky resale.  But it allows you to get into a car much nicer than you typically could afford.  This assumes the rebuild was done well.  The best examples are stolen cars.  If your car gets stolen and the ins pays out, when it's found it's instantly marked totaled (unless you want it) and it goes to ins auction.  Someone buys it, literally does nothing to the car, gets it inspected and it magically has a rebuilt title.  A perfect car with a shitty title.

2 hours ago, REKIII said:

I've owned a few cars with rebuilt titles.  Usually banks will finance 50% of the value, I mean of a non-rebuilt version.  They insure exactly the same way, however I'm not sure how the payout would work as I've never re-totaled a rebuilt car.  I do know the rates and such are the same though.

Pretty much it's un-eventful other than a sucky resale.  But it allows you to get into a car much nicer than you typically could afford.  This assumes the rebuild was done well.  The best examples are stolen cars.  If your car gets stolen and the ins pays out, when it's found it's instantly marked totaled (unless you want it) and it goes to ins auction.  Someone buys it, literally does nothing to the car, gets it inspected and it magically has a rebuilt title.  A perfect car with a shitty title.

So pretty much what he's saying is have someone steal a car that you want, then wait for it to be listed for sale.

What sources have you been checking? Craigslist, eBay, autotrader?

2 hours ago, REKIII said:

Thanks for the input!  I'm paying cash so I don't need to worry about financing.  The guy has owned it for 6 years and says he bought it with the rebuilt title.  I was concerned about having issues registering it or insuring it.  Our plan is to drive it into the ground.

1 minute ago, GB-335xiCoupe said:

So pretty much what he's saying is have someone steal a car that you want, then wait for it to be listed for sale.

What sources have you been checking? Craigslist, eBay, autotrader?

Craigslist, ebay, autotrader, carguru, truecar and facebook.  I like this whole find a stolen car deal... anyone wanna make $10?

13 hours ago, HipMF said:

Should have said something last week. There was a clean looking black-on-black TI in La Crosse. Already gone...

No BMW's.  I don't want to deal with her racking up miles on a BMW and there is certainly no way I'd have her drive an e36 120 miles every day.  I love BMW's but I don't want to deal with all of the little "quirks" they develop.  I want a mindless ownership experience.

10 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I won't drive to Chicago for this car, I just can't do it. I did find an 03 accord but the guy told me is got a rebuilt title.  Anyone ever deal with a rebuilt title?

If you plan on driving it into the ground, rebuilt will be just fine. @REKIII Nailed it. Registering should be the same as any car, just resale is terrible. 

Thanks to @snap I have a new commuter for my wife!  It's a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 103k miles!  To no surprise it was owned by an elderly woman who was awesome.  She's a dancer on the Bucks senior team and told us hilarious stories while we looked at the car.  I ended up getting it for $3500 which was $0 less than they were asking because i'm not shitty and it was already a great deal.

20180317_104750.jpg

On 3/17/2018 at 10:53 AM, patsbimmer1 said:

Thanks to @snap I have a new commuter for my wife!  It's a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 103k miles!  To no surprise it was owned by an elderly woman who was awesome.  She's a dancer on the Bucks senior team and told us hilarious stories while we looked at the car.  I ended up getting it for $3500 which was $0 less than they were asking because i'm not shitty and it was already a great deal.

20180317_104750.jpg

gross, but reliable. like the milwaukee county bus system.