WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

On 11/27/2022 at 8:15 PM, YoungCR said:

Love the frost shots

19 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

loving the mood of your photography. 

Thank you, both.

Daylight savings has forced me to walk before work, because it's frigging dark after work. I guess my disposition happens to be better in the morning... It turns out it's easier to take pictures when you don't have a days worth of stress hanging over you.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2023 at 3:51 PM, gilber33 said:

well its been a few days, sitting at $10.5k now. Really curious where this ends up price wise now that the market has softened. Also lol at the professional dye job comment from the seller. Wonder what happened to the fender as well? 

I really like smaller cars, and was a fan of the original Italian Job, so was looking forward to when these first came out. I had the chance to drive a first gen that was really fun with go cart like handling and the JCW add-ons, and also did some track ride-alongs in a few. But the reported mechanical issues in each of the generations have always kept me from buying. As I understand it, fixing anything in the engine bay often requires a lot of front-end disassembly just to get access.    

Its not exactly the same but my wife's car is an R60 Countryman S All4 and it's actually been a great car so far, its surprisingly fun. It would be even better with a stick too. The N18's aren't perfect and can have a lot of the same issues as the N14, but from my understanding they are much less of a ticking time bomb. 

4 minutes ago, HipMF said:

If anyone needs a e34 oil pan, pickup and dipstick tube, let me know. Catch is you have to take the whole car and it's a pile.

Does your wiper arm assembly rattle every time you hit a bump?

I thought your car was a 535i, or have I been huffing too much brakleen lately?

46 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

Does your wiper arm assembly rattle every time you hit a bump?

I thought your car was a 535i, or have I been huffing too much brakleen lately?

It's a '94 525i. The wipers have been slow to operate at first with the cold temps that we had, but no noise that I can hear over all of the other noises the car makes.

49 minutes ago, HipMF said:

It's a '94 525i. The wipers have been slow to operate at first with the cold temps that we had, but no noise that I can hear over all of the other noises the car makes.

Interesting. If you or someone else ends up parting it out I’d take that linkage for sure. I know of a guy in the Chicago area that’d likely buy it for that if you’re interested. 

As far as minis, I had a friend in high school with a first gen cooper s and it was an absolute nightmare. Trans issues, blew an engine, constant suspension issues, etc. His was an abused example I think but still, was a constant problem for him. 

My friend has two minis. They are nice as long as maintenance is kept up. Sadly the typical type of human that bought them new doesn't seem to do that after the warranty. Both of his are modified heavily so that might have some affect on reliability, but he hasn't had many issues besides typical car consumables. 

On 2/7/2023 at 9:35 AM, Jdesign said:

My friend has two minis. They are nice as long as maintenance is kept up. Sadly the typical type of human that bought them new doesn't seem to do that after the warranty. Both of his are modified heavily so that might have some affect on reliability, but he hasn't had many issues besides typical car consumables. 

This is kind of what I figured. Similar to BMW cooling systems, there is some planned obsolescence BS. Once the owner stops subscribing to the maintenance schedule, the car self-destructs. It's a nice scheme that keeps the dealers making back on maintenance what they lost up front on the sale price of the car. Yay capitalism.

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn’t checked in on “the euro” in a while, first videos I’ve seen of it running and driving but it’s been back together for a few years now with the M30B35 swap I sold with it. Car sounds great, I’d love to see it in person. 

1 hour ago, YoungCR said:

Hadn’t checked in on “the euro” in a while, first videos I’ve seen of it running and driving but it’s been back together for a few years now with the M30B35 swap I sold with it. Car sounds great, I’d love to see it in person. 

What a small world!! My son (David_R04) is at Platteville with the the AEC.  And of course, once they saw his E34, got drafted into working on "the euro".

Anytime your in the area get with David. He would be glad show you around.

4 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Hey Chris My names David Rerak. I believe we have met before, but I am on the team that's currently working on it. If you're ever in town I can definitely show you around, and I can keep you posted on the dates that we take it racing, and I'll maybe see if we can get you some seat time around the track if you're interested. 

3 hours ago, David_R04 said:

Hey Chris My names David Rerak. I believe we have met before, but I am on the team that's currently working on it. If you're ever in town I can definitely show you around, and I can keep you posted on the dates that we take it racing, and I'll maybe see if we can get you some seat time around the track if you're interested. 

Yeah we’ve talked at the e30 picnic a few times over the years. That would be awesome! Does the AEC still do a yearly car show as well? I used to put that one the calendar here. My in-laws live in mineral point, I get down there a few times a year.

• 5 weeks later...