WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

54 minutes ago, Ryan... said:

Wife had an OB appt yesterday, baby is imminent aka next week. 

Much scared. No plan. Only read half a baby book. Baby seat still not installed. Looking for used BMWs instead.

For our first kid I built the crib about 12 hours before my wife woke me up to tell me we needed to go to the hospital.  

1 hour ago, Ryan... said:

Much scared. No plan. Only read half a baby book. Baby seat still not installed. Looking for used BMWs instead.

1st one? you got plenty of time.  We walked the halls for 18hrs with our first. by the third one,... he was practically giving me directions for the hospital.    As long as they are healthy, everything else will work itself out.

The whole nesting phase is more to calm and prepare the wife then the baby. Our boys spent their first month in a bassinet by our bed.

good luck

p.s. don't tell a women in labor "It's OK"

3 little girls here. Haven’t read a baby book yet. 

My unsolicited advice: make it up as you go. They’re going to do whatever they want when they want and any attempt to follow schedules and routines that Instagram moms swear by will only result in unnecessary stress and hell when your baby decides to continue being a baby and doesn’t give a shit about your schedule.

All the blogs and books are bullshit. 

Glad mine are teenagers.  Being old and feeble has some benefits - older kids.  I HATED the baby/toddler stage.  I know it was all me, but that doesn't change the facts, lol.

2 is all we could handle, any more and they would out number us.  I'm not sure how you guys with 3+ survive.

Also, pro-tip - Keep expectations of you VERY low.  If I didn't claim residence at my house, I would have been a full fledged absentee father.  Refusing to change diapers, feed, bathe will pay dividends down the road, no running them to soccer practice, no going to dance recitals, no going to parent teacher conferences.  All actions have rewards.

Also, one last thing.....every single day gets better than the previous, even if it doesn't seem like it, something is better......until you have the 2nd, or 3rd, etc......then all hell breaks loose again.

7 hours ago, REKIII said:

2 is all we could handle, any more and they would out number us.  I'm not sure how you guys with 3+ survive.

Eh. I felt going from 1 to 2 was a bigger transition than going from 2 to 3. 

Everything works itself out and you adapt. Our plan is to have one more. And when that happens, we'll figure it out. It's definitely easier with two them able to walk longer distances, so when we walk downtown the two older ones can walk or ride scooters or something. 

On 5/3/2022 at 6:38 PM, Ryan... said:

Wife and I had many discussions about the number of kids we want, and we settled on "anything more than 1."

World is kind of geared for a family of 4. Finding a car to fit a 3rd car seat starts to become a challenge. The 3rd row seat requires a contortionist to get a kid strapped in the 20point harness these days.  So, you go out and get the "swagger wagon" for the whole family, and you windup having the wrong car half the time when you go get them from the sitter. just get the "Hoovie Van" and you'll be all set.

As far as family dynamic the more the better.  once you get past 4-5 the older ones help out with the younger ones. but, when it's just the 2 of you, the biggest change is from 2 to 3. it's a whole different ball game. you go from playing "man to man" defense to "Zone". You go from controlling the situation to just containing the explosion.

good luck with getting that boy. You have a 50/50 shot.  My grandfather was a farmer and wanted sons to help on the farm. He wound up with 5 girls (youngest is 2 years older then I) and 14 of 19 grandsons.  I got 3 boys because my wife wanted that girl.  Now that they are teenagers, she is glad 'cause she says she couldn't handle today's girls.

so, god give you what you can handle.

Buying a car out-of-state... Any advice?

I've been casually looking for a 1st gen (2003-2012) Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon for a while now. The world being what it is, prices are all over the place. The trucks I've seen are either $2-4k rust buckets, or decent condition, but $12K. Hardly any middle ground to be found. Maybe it's me, but I can't bring myself to pay 5 digits for a decade-or-two old, base model rust belt vehicle. How does one go about buying a vehicle out-of-state? Is it even worth the hassle for something in the $6-10k range?

full (1).jpeg

It’s worth it imo, it ends up being a better value based on condition for an equivalent age/mileage. Besides the road trip the process is the same. The X5 was the first vehicle I bought through a dealership but the only difference there is just waiting on the title to get processed and sent out. The dmv counter doesn’t change regardless. 

On 4/28/2022 at 9:19 AM, Ryan... said:

congrats!

plan? nah. i doubt your parents had a plan for you, look how you turned out. 

installing a baby seat for normal people:

the-meme-comes-from-a-brazilian-tv-show-

installing a baby seat for mechanically inclined people like yourself:

?width=260&version=53090

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it’s been pretty quiet around here but just figured I should post an update in case someone needs to get ahold of me. I’ll will still try my best to check the site daily but as usual if somebody needs my attention, pm or preferably text me. 

Im starting a coding Bootcamp this week for the next 6months as a beginning to finally transitioning to a new career. 15hrs a week on top of the time suck that is driving a truck is gonna be a lot but the payoff will be worth it. Looking forward to gaining back a better quality of life and to start building some of these dream projects I’ve been accumulating for “some day”.

I’ll be at the badger bimmers door county rally next weekend, that’s the last social event I plan on doing for the year. Didn’t find time to work on the e34’s even this year, but if anyone wants to join I have an open seat in the x5. 

• 1 month later...

Notice a bunch of "beef" popping up in the graffiti on my way downtown a while back. Finally got around to taking a walk to check it out. Near as I can tell, "4AL" put up a bunch of stuff, but it's all been covered up, or otherwise disrespected by the locals. Didn't really see any kind of retaliation, but I may not even know what I'm talking about.

PB120032_edited.jpeg

PB120047_edited.jpeg

PB120049_edited.jpeg

PB120045_edited.jpeg

Also discovered this ancient Meter

PB120068_edited.jpeg

And whatever this is:

PB120037_edited.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...