WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

3 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

I didn't even realize until now that's a Veyron SuperSport. Makes it even more impressive of a spot.

I do also like that they are parked in a grass lot across from an F150 and a Sienna.

Yea this was hospitality parking and these two women got out and immediately went upstairs to a private room in the hospitality building.  They looked like they had no interest in being there other than being seen with the cars lol.

In today's episode of WIbuildings... I ordered a shed yesterday!  10x14 lofted barn with 2 4' lofts and about 10' 6" from the floor to ceiling center.  It should be delivered in 3-5 weeks.  I'm going to drop it on a crushed stone base in a 4x4 pressure treated perimeter.  I'm excited to reclaim my back garage and make that more of a useable space instead of storage!

image.png

33 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

In today's episode of WIbuildings... I ordered a shed yesterday!  10x14 lofted barn with 2 4' lofts and about 10' 6" from the floor to ceiling center.  It should be delivered in 3-5 weeks.  I'm going to drop it on a crushed stone base in a 4x4 pressure treated perimeter.  I'm excited to reclaim my back garage and make that more of a useable space instead of storage!

image.png

Sheds are very under-rated, I think mine is a similar size and it's the best! 

45 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

image.png

Nice, there was a 20x12 building similar at our house we bought.  You need to have a good base to set it on.  Ours is on dirt and has some rot damage and the doors don't close right because of shifting.  A compacted gravel base should be just the thing.

5 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

image.png

We have one on the back of the garage and will do a second one this summer. One for yard stuff and one for kid stuff. So my shed (garage) can be just Dad stuff. 

Did you order it as a kit that you will need to assemble or is it one where they deliver and assemble it for you? 

5 hours ago, gilber33 said:

We have one on the back of the garage and will do a second one this summer. One for yard stuff and one for kid stuff. So my shed (garage) can be just Dad stuff. 

Did you order it as a kit that you will need to assemble or is it one where they deliver and assemble it for you? 

I ordered it pre-built from Proven Power and it's built and delivered by Premier Portable Buildings.  It was $4k with tax and delivered which was about the same as the pre cut kits I was looking at.  I'll build the crushed gravel base which should cost about $500 or less.  They're fully customizable but I went fairly basic.  This will be garden and pool stuff along with whatever else doesn't need to be in my second garage. 

I'm excited to get my own space back and get the chance to make it more of my ideal garage space.

10 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I ordered it pre-built from Proven Power and it's built and delivered by Premier Portable Buildings.  It was $4k with tax and delivered which was about the same as the pre cut kits I was looking at.  I'll build the crushed gravel base which should cost about $500 or less.  They're fully customizable but I went fairly basic.  This will be garden and pool stuff along with whatever else doesn't need to be in my second garage. 

I'm excited to get my own space back and get the chance to make it more of my ideal garage space.

Nice. I was planning on building one here soon, but we have so many projects to do on the house yet, that I'm leaning towards doing the same thing. 

6 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Nice. I was planning on building one here soon, but we have so many projects to do on the house yet, that I'm leaning towards doing the same thing. 

I wanted to buy a pre-cut just for the sake of building it myself to be honest but I'm in a similar boat where I've got so many other things going that building a shed just doesn't fit into my schedule, especially when I've already gotta take a day to build the foundation.  Also, the price.  It's $4k and for something similar from Home Depot it would cos the same or more.

I built a shed once. Similar to the one pictured, but only 8x12 or so. I was fortunate to get a big stack of used 4x4 foot sheets of plywood and a few bundles of shingles for free, so I probably only spent about $400 on it. It is a fair bit of work though. Super useful for storing motorcycles, car parts, etc. Ended up selling it on Craigslist a couple years later and got suckered into helping move it. Good times.

I painted mine red, because it rhymes with shed. Bavarian flag checkers would be fun though. Like one of those little out-buildings at smaller airports.

Made friends with a bat today at david dudly (above) and didn't even think to take a picture. It was just sunning itself on one of the holds I wanted to use. Took until my 3rd or 4th time through before it realized I was there and crawled back into it's crack.

No bees, please!

Tentatively planning a guided trip to Devil's Lake sometime early/mid summer. I have one co-worker who's on board already. Let me know if struggle is your game. The more, the merrier.

On 4/12/2021 at 3:31 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

Yesterday I dug a hole and put wood in it.

I'm jealous. 

I ended up getting an 8x10 resin shed from Menards. But I was able to put it together in a few hours while our girls played outside. I left an opening next to it where another shed can fit, and my plan is to keep this one for a year or two while we wrap up all the other projects, build a nicer shed, and then sell the resin one with the base. 

It's at least a good temporary solution to put all of their toys/bikes in and is surprisingly much sturdier than I thought it was going to be. 

BF82D375-1357-488C-BFB1-63E5ABEB1642.jpeg

**Note that the base blocks and pieces of wood are temporary to level it out. They will be replaced with a more permanent temporary solution**

On 3/31/2021 at 10:20 AM, patsbimmer1 said:

image.png

Welp, long story short this may not happen anymore.  The short of it is I talked to the inspector to take care of the building permit and everything was going swimmingly until the end when he remembered to ask me if I had another accessory building on the property and I said I have a detached garage.  I can't have more than one accessory building on the property and since I have the detached garage I can't have a shed.  I didn't see this until he sent me the 109 page ordinance and pointed me to the specific spot where it says that.  I can expand my 2nd garage to about 1,300 square feet but can't have a 140sq/ft shed.

I did find a new chicken ordinance that would permit me to build a chicken coop with no size limit that doesn't go against my accessory building count and the inspector confirmed that.  After much debate I decided against building a chicken coop since it would give the city permission to come on my property at any time to inspect the animals.

My last option is to plop it in the yard and see what happens but that carries a whole set of risks that I'm not willing to deal with.  The building inspector doesn't know my name or address so I'm not concerned about a surprise pop-in but all it takes is one person in a small town to figure it out, get upset and report me.