WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Real climbers are goddam freaks.

d47e5f4446bd22cabad35a3309efbc72.PNG

(pictured above) John Gill was one of the fore-runners of modern climbing (bouldering especially) . Devil's Lake is  home to one of (allegedly/possibly the only?) routes that he ever "chipped" aka modified to make more climbable. Little Flatiron. Rated at V4 it's an lower-intermediate climb, but a lofty goal for a noob, and conveniently an hours drive from my spot. Who knew there was historically significant rock climbing areas in Wisconsin? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, HipMF said:

Thank you for the cautionary tale. I don't intend to go too deep down the strength-training rabbit hole. Ultimately though, every year I look at myself and see that I am a little bit fatter than I have ever been. I don't want this one-way trend to continue indefinitely. As I've gotten older the work that I do becomes less active and more sedentary. It's clear that I need to find some other way of being physically active. I do some biking when the weather (and my motivation level) allows, but I'm not much for doing fitness just for fitness' sake. Climbing seems like an activity that I would enjoy, and my hope is that if I build some muscle along the way it will help keep my belly in check. However, I'm a somewhat obsessive person and my attentions span rarely stretches more than a few weeks, so we'll see what happens...

The easiest way for anybody to keep body fat down is strength training, you burn 6 extra calories a day for every pound of muscle you have.  You don’t necessarily have to be a gym rat, I don’t lift much right now, but I’m able to maintain by training in Kickboxing and BJJ. 

Went out wheeling the other weekend because a friend was looking to test out his Jeep. 
It started with driving right into a river that was not shallow and driving down the bank a bit. We laugh after exiting and ask him what the heck that was about.
"It's usually just river rock along the bank, turns out it's water today!"

image.png

We then proceed to drive to a spot where we've gone winter wheeling up a mountain before, and it started snowing as we got closer. 
We didn't see much for tracks going up, and this is a popular spot. Turns out that it had snowed many feet since the last people were up there! 
The Jeep was a snow plow, and the only reason we did have snow rolling over the top of the 35" tall tires was due to the bumper pushing it to the side first. It was an awesome time! 

I need to fix / scrap my broken ass Jeep lol. Ripped a brake line off it accidently on our new years day run up the same mountain, not to mention all the other issues.

It's snowing here today which is odd and reminded me of this. I also love seeing people play in the snow in the city here since it doesn't happen often. People sledding in the streets, quads / side by sides ripping around with sleds behind, just people out enjoying it. That and a ton of cars in the ditches haha. 

22 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Went out wheeling the other weekend because a friend was looking to test out his Jeep. 
It started with driving right into a river that was not shallow and driving down the bank a bit. We laugh after exiting and ask him what the heck that was about.
"It's usually just river rock along the bank, turns out it's water today!"

image.png

We then proceed to drive to a spot where we've gone winter wheeling up a mountain before, and it started snowing as we got closer. 
We didn't see much for tracks going up, and this is a popular spot. Turns out that it had snowed many feet since the last people were up there! 
The Jeep was a snow plow, and the only reason we did have snow rolling over the top of the 35" tall tires was due to the bumper pushing it to the side first. It was an awesome time! 

I need to fix / scrap my broken ass Jeep lol. Ripped a brake line off it accidently on our new years day run up the same mountain, not to mention all the other issues.

It's snowing here today which is odd and reminded me of this. I also love seeing people play in the snow in the city here since it doesn't happen often. People sledding in the streets, quads / side by sides ripping around with sleds behind, just people out enjoying it. That and a ton of cars in the ditches haha. 

That looks like a lot of fun, pretty impressive how it handles that deep snow! I've started to want a vehicle that goes over things vs. around them. I spent the last 3 days working on my brother's new-to-him XJ. They're a breath of fresh air compared to a BMW as far as access to everything. However, the mix of metric and english bolts all over the place is ridiculous... 

7 minutes ago, B C said:

When do the cars come out of hibernation? I see rain early next week but I can imagine they will spray the roads with Salt/cheese brine/chemtrails afterwards though.

maybe not this saturday, but next? Hope so.

I usually wait for a few good rains, the forecast is making it look like it'll happen sooner rather than later this year though! 

1 hour ago, B C said:

When do the cars come out of hibernation? I see rain early next week but I can imagine they will spray the roads with Salt/cheese brine/chemtrails afterwards though.

maybe not this saturday, but next? Hope so.

As soon as the snow melts and I can drive my car out of my back garage to the front garage.

9 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

As soon as the snow melts and I can drive my car out of my back garage to the front garage.

Same here. Gotta wait for all this snow to melt and for the yard to dry up before pulling the fleet out from my barn. I will say, working at a performance shop now, people are definitely getting anxious.

It's supposed to be like 60 next week and I am really getting the itch. But I really should wait, if it was a newer car I would feel fine, but with it being delicate 31 year old metal, I think I'm going to wait until we are for sure out of the thick of it.

Everyone at work has started to bring out their summer cars and I'm getting FOMO.

1 hour ago, SteelBlue said:

It's supposed to be like 60 next week and I am really getting the itch. But I really should wait, if it was a newer car I would feel fine, but with it being delicate 31 year old metal, I think I'm going to wait until we are for sure out of the thick of it.

Everyone at work has started to bring out their summer cars and I'm getting FOMO.

Just go grab the e30 in the garage.  I'm sure the keys are in it.