WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

It is a dry stack stone.  Used indoors, it doesn't need grout to be a façade.  However I did add the mesh to the wall (you can see it in the one pic with the window) to ensure good adhesion.  Supposedly I didn't need to do this, but it made me nervous just sticking it to the drywall.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:24 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

For the first time I bought upgraded D1S HID's and tried them in my wife's Volvo and I'm blown away how much better they are.  I bought Osram 7000k Cool Blue and they're noticeably brighter than the OEM bul  I took a picture of new vs old below both warmed up.

i thought everyone was over with the purple headlight colors?

4300 or 5000k have like 50% more lumens than 7k and dont suck in the rain. imagine the jump you just had, double it for good 4000k bulbs!

3 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Have any of you guys seen this site?  It looks like it's an aggregate site that tracks car sales to develop market trends.  It looks like it's all auction data mostly pulled from BaT.

https://www.classic.com/markets/

I've started using it ~6 months ago when I was researching E34 values for the claim. Email notifications for new listings and results for specific models you want is great. 

5 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i thought everyone was over with the purple headlight colors?

4300 or 5000k have like 50% more lumens than 7k and dont suck in the rain. imagine the jump you just had, double it for good 4000k bulbs!

You'd have to see these in person but they're not actually 7000k color, they're like a hyper white color once they're warmed up and even seeing it driving down the road at me there's no blue or purple color to it.  My guys at The Retrofit Source highly recommended these and the tests they've done have these ranked at a higher lux than just about any other D1S out there.  There isn't a better bulb on the market than the Osram CBB.

Skip ahead to the 3:40 mark to see the comparison.  The color on the screen is accurate to what you see in real life.

24 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

You'd have to see these in person but they're not actually 7000k color, they're like a hyper white color once they're warmed up and even seeing it driving down the road at me there's no blue or purple color to it.  My guys at The Retrofit Source highly recommended these and the tests they've done have these ranked at a higher lux than just about any other D1S out there.  There isn't a better bulb on the market than the Osram CBB.

Skip ahead to the 3:40 mark to see the comparison.  The color on the screen is accurate to what you see in real life.

i stand corrected on the brightness! its odd that they've rated the color so high when they are clearly just as white as the 5000k stuff. the guy in the video is confused as well. 

45 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

i stand corrected on the brightness! its odd that they've rated the color so high when they are clearly just as white as the 5000k stuff. the guy in the video is confused as well. 

I questioned my rep at TRS when he recommended these because I did NOT want 7k color but he assured me these would be perfect.  So far my wife LOVES them!

Rock climbing always seemed fun and terrifying.   Always seemed that the guys who did well on American Ninja Warrior were good at rock climbing.  Tons of grip and hand strength needed.

I've only done the fake rock stuff, like in the dells or other places with the different shaped hand holds.  The absolute worst part for me is letting go of the wall at the top and letting the pulley assembly lower you back down.  There is that split second of freefall.   Hate it.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:25 AM, REKIII said:

Rock climbing always seemed fun and terrifying.   Always seemed that the guys who did well on American Ninja Warrior were good at rock climbing.  Tons of grip and hand strength needed.

I've only done the fake rock stuff, like in the dells or other places with the different shaped hand holds.  The absolute worst part for me is letting go of the wall at the top and letting the pulley assembly lower you back down.  There is that split second of freefall.   Hate it.

The class I signed up for is "bouldering" which is no ropes and strictly low-altitude. I had a couple of jobs in my 20's that were heavily reliant on grip and hand strength, so I think I'm good there. I've been trying to do some basic excercises at home so that I'm not as complete embarrasment. Push-ups and sit-ups aren't bad, but I literally can't get my chin over the bar to do a pull-up.

I'm curious what the demographics of this class are going to look like. Maybe if I'm the oldest one there I can use that as an excuse...

16 hours ago, HipMF said:

Push-ups and sit-ups aren't bad, but I literally can't get my chin over the bar to do a pull-up.

Building up to a full pull up is very hard, even for strong people.  You really need to set up some sort of assistance.  Not sure if you are doing this at home or at a gym, but you need to lighten your body, you can do that with a counterweight pull up machine, or a big band around your feet connected to the bar, or you can even find a lower pull up bar where you can put your feet on the ground to get some weight off.  Essentially you want to be able to go through the whole pull-up motion at a lighter weight to strengthen the muscles.  Just like any other weightlifting exercise.  You wouldn't start bench pressing at 300lbns and just do the downward motion.....you'd start at a light weight and do several reps and then increase weight.  Pull-ups need to be progressed the same way.

Another thing with the abs as it applies to the rock climbing is leg lifts or toes to bar.  If you have the pull up bar, hang from it and lift your legs and touch the toes to the bar.  Or, raise your knees as high as you can, etc.  It engages the abs differently than a pull-up and will simulate using your core to raise your feet up to the next hold spot on the boulder.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:32 PM, HipMF said:

The class I signed up for is "bouldering" which is no ropes and strictly low-altitude. I had a couple of jobs in my 20's that were heavily reliant on grip and hand strength, so I think I'm good there. I've been trying to do some basic excercises at home so that I'm not as complete embarrasment. Push-ups and sit-ups aren't bad, but I literally can't get my chin over the bar to do a pull-up.

I'm curious what the demographics of this class are going to look like. Maybe if I'm the oldest one there I can use that as an excuse...

Look for AthleanX on YouTube, I’m still trying to recover from tendon damage on my shoulders from two years ago because I was too relaxed whenever I went all the way down on each rep. I was a pull-up machine, 18-24 rep sets (185lbs). 

2 hours ago, damnboy037 said:

Look for AthleanX on YouTube, I’m still trying to recover from tendon damage on my shoulders from two years ago because I was too relaxed whenever I went all the way down on each rep. I was a pull-up machine, 18-24 rep sets (185lbs). 

Thank you for the cautionary tale. I don't intend to go too deep down the strength-training rabbit hole. Ultimately though, every year I look at myself and see that I am a little bit fatter than I have ever been. I don't want this one-way trend to continue indefinitely. As I've gotten older the work that I do becomes less active and more sedentary. It's clear that I need to find some other way of being physically active. I do some biking when the weather (and my motivation level) allows, but I'm not much for doing fitness just for fitness' sake. Climbing seems like an activity that I would enjoy, and my hope is that if I build some muscle along the way it will help keep my belly in check. However, I'm a somewhat obsessive person and my attentions span rarely stretches more than a few weeks, so we'll see what happens...