WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

15 hours ago, gilber33 said:

I forgot you were in the middle of a full home reno, too. How's yours going? I took on several projects to save us some money - laying about 1,400 sf of hardwood floors upstairs, building all the closet shelving, building the fireplace mantel, and building/painting built-ins in the kitchen. THEN, when that's all done I'll be starting on finishing the new portion of the basement. Which I found out when taking down the 4x8 sheets of foam board that they only fit down the stairs because they're flexible. All of the drywall will have to go down in 4x4 sheets. *crying inside*

That's such a bummer on the drywall, so many joints to tape... hopefully its all going smoothly! Mine is going pretty well all things considered! We finally finished our Kitchen remodel and it came out great, though I didn't do a majority of the work on it, just the demo, flooring, and some painting. Its nice to have a stove again haha. In the rest of the house we've put down about 1100sq*ft of flooring, re-trimmed most of the house, painted the windows and remaining existing trim white (from dark oak), painted most of the ceilings and walls, replaced every outlet/switch and replaced or refinished the ceiling fans and light fixtures, and re-doing the stairway from carpet to wood. That's "phase 1", and I'd say it's about 95% done, no longer feels like we are living in a construction zone which is awesome. Next up is the master bathroom (likely hiring that one out), half bath, dining room, and laundry room... THEN I can start on the basement lol. Feels like I am moving slowly, but between constant backorders of cabinets/appliances/materials this past year and not being a professional I've accepted that this is going to take somewhere between another year and the rest of my life.

Welcome to WIBASEMENTS, coming soon to HGTV!

20 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

100% same page.

bright side is getting home projects done that i thought were 10+ years down the line

when this shit is over, open bar at my place!  

DSC_5128-Pano_Export.jpg

There's a lot to love here but my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE is that you ADDED WOOD PANELING!  I know so many women who's heads would absolutely spin if you added that wood paneling to a wall, my wife being one of them lol.  I'm a big fan of that "up nort" feel.

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

There's a lot to love here but my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE is that you ADDED WOOD PANELING!  I know so many women who's heads would absolutely spin if you added that wood paneling to a wall, my wife being one of them lol.  I'm a big fan of that "up nort" feel.

thanks! and yes, you are correct. on my death bed I will tell my grandson: find yourself a great woman like your grandma, who loves wood paneling.

she loves brick and stone and other fine wall finishes MORE, but our wallet does not. 

18 hours ago, gilber33 said:

That looks fantastic. Our new basement will be 180 to that - a dedicated play space for the kids. lol. 

I forgot you were in the middle of a full home reno, too. How's yours going? I took on several projects to save us some money - laying about 1,400 sf of hardwood floors upstairs, building all the closet shelving, building the fireplace mantel, and building/painting built-ins in the kitchen. THEN, when that's all done I'll be starting on finishing the new portion of the basement. Which I found out when taking down the 4x8 sheets of foam board that they only fit down the stairs because they're flexible. All of the drywall will have to go down in 4x4 sheets. *crying inside*

I feel like towards the end of 2020 the e30 was finally getting to a good point that I could drive it more than I worked on it. Excited for 2021 and the new stuff it's getting - but that is buried under a pile of house projects that I need to finish. 

Could you buy 12' an cut in half?

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

i'm done painting for a long time. we've only been in our house for 2 years and my wife is starting to ask about painting rooms AGAIN that we've already painted. my response now is "YOU can paint whatever you want!"

HA! When we moved into our house at the beginning of 2017 we repainted the whole thing. My wife loves white, so we painted half the walls in the house white. About a year in and she's like "there's too much white, I think". We repainted every wall that we had painted white to a color. 

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

Could you buy 12' an cut in half?

Oh shit yeah. You smart.

3 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Feels like I am moving slowly, but between constant backorders of cabinets/appliances/materials this past year

Welcome to WIBASEMENTS, coming soon to HGTV!

Right in the feels. Luckily we didn't have anything delay in material that slowed the progress of our house, but from contract signing to ordering, materials costs went up about 20%. We went through our framing budget before we even ordered all the siding or material for the carport.  

1 hour ago, gilber33 said:

Oh shit yeah. You smart.

FYI 6' panels wont save you any tape joints, unless your walls happen to be over 8' tall. youll still have one joint somewhere in the middle of every vertical section. if your framing is studs, you cant install them sideways either, as studs don't fall on 6' centers. you might save material cost, i guess. also do you have a trailer big enough for 12' panels?  

i have idea that might work in theory but not practice: score an 8' in the middle, carefully fold it in half and carry it down. unfold, glue the seam from the backside and install. if the paper on the not-cut side survives, you could save yourself the joint. 

On 1/20/2021 at 2:13 PM, straight6pwr said:

FYI 6' panels wont save you any tape joints, unless your walls happen to be over 8' tall. youll still have one joint somewhere in the middle of every vertical section. if your framing is studs, you cant install them sideways either, as studs don't fall on 6' centers. you might save material cost, i guess. also do you have a trailer big enough for 12' panels?  

i have idea that might work in theory but not practice: score an 8' in the middle, carefully fold it in half and carry it down. unfold, glue the seam from the backside and install. if the paper on the not-cut side survives, you could save yourself the joint. 

It’s not framed yet. I’ll be doing that and will be framing 24” OC. And it will have 9’ ceilings. 

6’ panels would give me fewer joints overall. I only have a 4x8 trailer, but I went on Menards and it was only $84 to deliver the drywall. Worth it IMO over taking the time to load and unload 20 some sheets. 

But your idea of scoring it and folding it in half to get it down is worth a try as well. 

They’ve since dry walled the stairway, but that’s the basement. New utility room and we had them rough in a full bath too. 

149C5958-98AF-4C0B-AC6F-B5B13AF18B4B.jpeg

1 hour ago, B C said:

Almost looks like a basement I could walk through without hitting my head on something

You have no idea. The original part of the house was built in 1900. My wife and I are 5’6” and we could JUST barely walk through the original basement without hitting our heads on the joists. I grew up in old houses, too. This is my first basement where I can walk freely without worrying about hitting my head. 

I circled where you can see the old part of the house in the new basement and the blue line is the bottom of the house/basement. 

0040DCB6-47BC-4554-A0A8-89454312727C.jpeg

15 hours ago, gilber33 said:

It’s not framed yet. I’ll be doing that and will be framing 24” OC. And it will have 9’ ceilings. 

6’ panels would give me fewer joints overall. I only have a 4x8 trailer, but I went on Menards and it was only $84 to deliver the drywall. Worth it IMO over taking the time to load and unload 20 some sheets. 

But your idea of scoring it and folding it in half to get it down is worth a try as well. 

They’ve since dry walled the stairway, but that’s the basement. New utility room and we had them rough in a full bath too. 

wow, would have never expected 9' basement walls. in that case, scoring is pointless and 6' panels would be perfect.

26 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

wow, would have never expected 9' basement walls. in that case, scoring is pointless and 6' panels would be perfect.

I think it was required. I remember pushing for shorter basement walls to save money, but I think they ended up being this size because of how the engineering came out. Idk. 

These are some neat projects.  We finally finished out basement as well.  Bought the house 7 years ago.  Basement was sorta finished, but just very white-box-ish.  So after a couple years we added a bathroom, then demo'd the rest, then it sat until the end of last year.  Finally got moving and finished it.

Basically how it started last year....we have pics of what it looked like when we moved in somewhere.  The whole ceiling was dropped and had conduit everywhere.  In these pics, the ceiling is gone and I relocated all the wires into the joist like they were supposed to be.

No photo description available.

Here I have a bunch of the bar framed in and the plumbing pretty much done.  Had to dig a sumpcrock into the floor then route everything overhead.  I hired someone to do the framing but did the electric and plumbing, just to keep the project moving.

May be an image of woodwork

May be an image of one or more people and woodwork

Ran a second zone of HVAC too.

Opened up the stairwell and added stair lights.

Exercise was staying the exercise room so it became a temporary home to a lot of crap

It was not fun getting things down the stairs, but having it opened helped A LOT

The movie room stayed the movie room but we had to fix the back wall (left side in pic) and the ceiling got insulated and painted black.

I hired out the drywall too.  :(

Movie room sucessfully blacked out

Decided to add some stone walls:

The wifes design pallet

May be an image of brick wall

It was a long wait on the cabinets, but they started to roll in.

Tin/copper ceiling was tricky

Then added more stone and more tin:

Then the big wait was for the counter tops.  So we finished a bunch of the other stuff

May be an image of one or more people and woodwork

May be an image of 1 person, screen, television and living room

Finally the tops came in so we could finish the back-bar....more stone and cabinets.  Haha

May be an image of one or more people, woodwork and brick wall

May be an image of woodwork and kitchen

Movie room got furnished

May be an image of screen, television and living room

Appliances

May be an image of woodwork and kitchen

Crown to finish off the ceiling

May be an image of woodwork and brick wall

Finish work on the stairs

Then....the coolest part.  We unpackaged everything we had been storing for 7 years from our old house.

May be an image of one or more people

Got it all organized.  Installed my lights and shelves in the towers.

We are still working on some things.  Decorations.  I want to build a bar sign for between the 2 towers.  It was a fun/stressful/rewarding/expensive project.

Gentlemen,

It has come to my attention that there are some among us who have fallen on hard times and need a bit of support while their circumstances improve.

Starting today, we will be collecting non-perishable food items for the @REKIII family. Donations can be made in person at the Black E46s of New Berlin satellite office

2860 S 108th St,

West Allis, WI 53227

*please no more than 3 dented cans per donation. Bulged cans must be within 10% of their original diameter.

9 hours ago, REKIII said:

Did a ton of work ourselves which saved a lot.  We had a major and 2 smaller vacations canceled so we had a little boost to the budget which was nice. 

Wife uses her fancy wide angle lens to take the pics so it looks bigger than it is.  

The stone on the wall looks really good. Almost like a nice restaurant feel. Im not sure I ever remember seeing that done before but I like it a lot

4 hours ago, B C said:

The stone on the wall looks really good. Almost like a nice restaurant feel. Im not sure I ever remember seeing that done before but I like it a lot

Thanks.  It was an inexpensive menards product.  I cut it on a chop saw with a masonry blade.  I used 'omnigrip' from home depot to put it on the wall.  No grout.  A pretty nice and easy install considering I had never done it before.