WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

2 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

All of them turned out awesome. I see some hued shadow levels, like a purple or blue tint to them.

Very likely. Native photos app doesn't have very advanced editing software, but it does a good enough job for the time being just to get a better look out of the images. I edit all of these in like 2-3 minutes.

Rtic was supposed to ship my replacement cooler last wednesday and were going to send it via two day so i'd have it Friday.  I reached out Wednesday and was told i'd get shipping info that day... Nothing.  I reached out Thursday and nothing.  Friday I left for RA.  Monday still hadn't received tracking info. Tuesday I requested a refund and they responded and said it will take 5 days to post 😠.  I've been very patient with FedEx and Rtic and they've both totally fucked me.  It's not even that the cooler got lost that pisses me off it's now they handled the conflict that really pisses me off.  I'd be happy as could be if they would have just reacted immediately.  Time to start looking for another new cooler I guess.

On 7/29/2020 at 1:39 PM, SteelBlue said:

Very likely. Native photos app doesn't have very advanced editing software, but it does a good enough job for the time being just to get a better look out of the images. I edit all of these in like 2-3 minutes.

Well I found out my brother gets access to the full Adobe Creative Cloud through the University of Michigan(I don't know why, his doctorate has nothing to do with any kind of digital media), so I snagged his login info and download Lightroom and Photoshop on my Mac. Such a better program.

Ball is Life

Ball is Life

19 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

Well I found out my brother gets access to the full Adobe Creative Cloud through the University of Michigan(I don't know why, his doctorate has nothing to do with any kind of digital media), so I snagged his login info and download Lightroom and Photoshop on my Mac. Such a better program.

Ball is Life

Ball is Life

I also get it though the UW system for free. I just have to sign up for it every year. Pretty neat if you ask me.

Just now, SteelBlue said:

Did I have access to this the whole time I was at Oshkosh...?

It was hard to find, My dad works for UW-Stout so he directed me to the right place. Its been going on for years. The whole UW system pays for licenses. You just gotta register for them or whatever.

20 hours ago, HipMF said:

Sorry @B C but I thought of you immediately when I saw this

Tagim3v.jpeg

https://imgur.com/gallery/z27Xrbd

@KaiserRolls thread updates are proof that my helicoil hell was a success.

sucks when months later you read of a shop that recommends 9 ft-lb instead of 11 because they have seen the same issue repeatedly. Would have been nice to try that instead

8 hours ago, B C said:

@KaiserRolls thread updates are proof that my helicoil hell was a success.

sucks when months later you read of a shop that recommends 9 ft-lb instead of 11 because they have seen the same issue repeatedly. Would have been nice to try that instead

Can confirm the success, however when I pulled into my driveway at 12:30AM it was spewing coolant. What the hell man??? I’m gonna lemon law your a$$

3 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

EBFF208F-73B2-40BE-9E8C-094A0833F0D3.jpeg

Just what I needed, another project. 1987 Cannondale RS500. Goal is turn this into a “gravel” bike with its primary use for getting around Road America. Can’t complain for $125.

My experience with gravel bikes so far is they're basically a road bike with bigger tires right?  Can you get different gearsets easily for these?  Any attempt to do disc brakes?

3 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

My experience with gravel bikes so far is they're basically a road bike with bigger tires right?  Can you get different gearsets easily for these?  Any attempt to do disc brakes?

My understanding is it’s essentially the Baja craze of cars, just with bikes. Turn road cars into off-road cars. I just want to change the bars and pedals into something more “mountain bike” like and then do as wide and tall of a tire with a more knobby tread pattern.

I could probably convert to discs, but I don’t think I will need them for my application. And yes, you can change the gear sets for these, but the Shimano 105 should be good enough for my needs.

3 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

My understanding is it’s essentially the Baja craze of cars, just with bikes. Turn road cars into off-road cars. I just want to change the bars and pedals into something more “mountain bike” like and then do as wide and tall of a tire with a more knobby tread pattern.

I could probably convert to discs, but I don’t think I will need them for my application. And yes, you can change the gear sets for these, but the Shimano 105 should be good enough for my needs.

I've got a buddy with some very expensive gravel bikes that he raves about but when I've done rides on actual grave I just don't understand the allure.  They're fucking stiff as hell with drop handlebars and it makes the whole experience really miserable.  But the 1x gearsets he's got are wonderful.  And they look cool so there's that lol.

17 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I've got a buddy with some very expensive gravel bikes that he raves about but when I've done rides on actual grave I just don't understand the allure.  They're fucking stiff as hell with drop handlebars and it makes the whole experience really miserable.  But the 1x gearsets he's got are wonderful.  And they look cool so there's that lol.

The look is a big thing lol I’m definitely going to be changing to a standard handle bar as the drops will be difficult when just getting around the track. As well as the shifter/brake position. Tube shifter will be tough around RA.

lookup cyclocross bikes. they are basically what you'll be building. its a sport invented for the road race guys to have something to do in the 'off season' in parts of the world that have winter. i turned an 80s hybird into a cyclocross bike for my commuting for a while. its really the best 'all-rounder' if you ask me. light enough and low rolling resistance with small tires that you dont feel like the bike is slowing you down, but capable enough to do just about any dirt trail that doesnt have jumps and logs and stuff. 

those calipers are awfully tight on the rims, be careful with knobby tire sizes, there isnt much room there. if the bike has 700c wheels, you could downsize to 650c and add long reach calipers, but that might be more effort/$$ than youre looking to put forth

and you cant put disc brakes on any bike to fix tire clearance, either. its frame dependent. you could change the front forks to add discs, but for the back you're stuck. 

drop bars are actually quite comfortable if you get them in the right spot. you could get a new, longer stem, or one that has a 45deg rise to get the bars up in the air more. 

i'd recommend converting to STI shifters (the kind that are integrated into the brake levers) and keeping your bars. the geometry of straight bars on a road bike can be awkward. for a cheaper fix, I used thumb shifters. also, depending on what bars you use, you can run into issues with brake levers. putting mountain bike style brake levers on a road bike doesnt work that well, and visa-versa. they pull different amounts of cable.