WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Any of you cool cats or kittens ever played around with Federal tires?

Looking at the Federal Evo ST-1, can get 4 of em in my oddball desired size of 235/40/19 for under $400 shipped. I'm assuming they're not fantastic, super sticky, long living tires. But, they might be a good stop gap for me to see if I want to go up to that size from my 225s.

https://simpletire.com/federal-evoluzion-st-1-tires

1 hour ago, Ryan... said:

Looking at the Federal Evo ST-1, can get 4 of em in my oddball desired size of 235/40/19 for under $400 shipped. I'm assuming they're not fantastic, super sticky, long living tires. But, they might be a good stop gap for me to see if I want to go up to that size from my 225s.

I’m sure they’ll be fine 

2 hours ago, Ryan... said:

You're getting black and round.  Federal isn't the worst out there by any means but it's not what I'd buy unless I planned on burning them off.  There's actually a ton of options in that size due to the popularity of big skinny rims nowadays so if it's a choice driven by a lack of options I'd encourage you to look further.  If it's price motivated then these will scratch that itch.

5 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

I’m sure they’ll be fine 

4 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

You're getting black and round.  Federal isn't the worst out there by any means but it's not what I'd buy unless I planned on burning them off.  There's actually a ton of options in that size due to the popularity of big skinny rims nowadays so if it's a choice driven by a lack of options I'd encourage you to look further.  If it's price motivated then these will scratch that itch.

Thought process is that my current tires are nearing the end of their lives, I want to do a track day at Blackhawk in a couple months and will want newer tires for that, and I want to try a larger size on my already low-ish car without committing long term. I think I'll do it, #THANKS

8 hours ago, Ryan... said:

Thought process is that my current tires are nearing the end of their lives, I want to do a track day at Blackhawk in a couple months and will want newer tires for that, and I want to try a larger size on my already low-ish car without committing long term. I think I'll do it, #THANKS

I'm running a set of those exact tires on my 128, it's my daily so it doesn't get the crap pounded out of it, but when I do lean into the corners hard I've been pleased. 
They have quite a bit of grip, have good feel / breakaway characteristic, and seem to be doing okay on tread wear (though a bit early to tell).
For the price I figured it was worth a shot. 

19 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I'm running a set of those exact tires on my 128, it's my daily so it doesn't get the crap pounded out of it, but when I do lean into the corners hard I've been pleased. 
They have quite a bit of grip, have good feel / breakaway characteristic, and seem to be doing okay on tread wear (though a bit early to tell).
For the price I figured it was worth a shot. 

Heck yes, I'll give these a try then.

Procured a POS people-mover:

ElF87vY.jpg

Couldn't decide what to do with the compact or what to replace it with, so I decided to buy another car to "fill the gap" between it and my next car so I don't have to drive the e21 everywhere... I can totally see myself dailying this POS for a couple years because I love it. I had a ton of anxiety about buying it because I was worried about all of the things that could go wrong, but as soon as i drove it, it made me laugh and it puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. I had forgotten how good it feels to drive one of these cars.

It's rusty, has a bad exhaust leak, the shifter has 3-4 inches of slop, drivers-side rear wheel bearing is bad, clutch engagement is weird (master cylinder?), brakes have some feels (not the good kind), along with innumerable cosmetic issues, but there's something about a dilapidated old e34 that just puts me in a good mood. Maybe it's nostalgia, but it's also impressive how something that's so old an improperly maintained can still run and drive as amazingly as an old e34. Maybe one of the last truly over-engineered BMWs?

19 hours ago, HipMF said:

maybe its nostalgia, but it's also impressive how something that's so old an improperly maintained can still run and drive as amazingly as an old e34. Maybe one of the last truly over-engineered BMWs?

yeah, definitely only nostalgia. 🤣

i'll give it "run amazingly", though. 

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

yeah, definitely only nostalgia. 🤣

i'll give it "run amazingly", though. 

Maybe nostalgia isn't the best word. There's an irony of driving a car that was once desirable and prestigious, but now is one of the cheapest and least desirable BMWs available. The fact that this particular example is a bit rough around the edges just makes it better for me. I enjoy being the last owner of a car because it means I can do whatever I want to it with gleeful disregard for resale value. I've always driven POS cars and don't feel comfortable driving something that is too new or too nice. For me the worry about wear and damage stresses me out more than any benefit I get from having a "nice" car. This car is rusty enough that I wouldn't feel right about selling it as-is let alone in the condition that it's likely to be in by the time I get rid of it. The engine is quiet and running flawlessly and the trans seems solid, so I'm sure those parts will find a new life somewhere once I'm done with them.