WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Finally got a lens on the new camera. It's not bad. Pictures are definitely sharper than my old Nikon. The Nikon was never very impressive in that regard. I'm interested to see how it does in low light once I get a faster lens on it.

Coke for scale.

8o6sIRz.jpg

Best shot from my government allotted 20 minutes of outdoor exerciser.

zqC0uwI.jpg

The pancake lens seems pretty good so far, but it makes some really wonky bokeh balls. Guess you can't have it all. Probably not an issue since it's not fast enough to create a shallow depth of field anyway.

u48LtYK.jpg

I got to buy another camera, but for work this time. We're not allowed to have cell phones in the production area, so we needed a cheap camera that could do decent macro photos. Settled on a Ricoh WG-50. Image quality overall is nothing to get excited about, but the macro mode delivers the goods. Focuses down to 1cm and has little lights around the lens to keep your subject lit when the camera is basically covering it.

HZVYAwa.jpg

that OMD is a nice little package. i try not to be concerned with bokeh quality. i leave that for the pixel peepers (far too concerned with the pixel level quality of an image to see the overall quality of an image) and professionals (need to print HUGE images). Shallow DOF, on the other hand, is worth sacrificing a little money and/or size to have as a tool in your bag.  

Anyone have personal experience with Four Seasons products? My Bosch AC compressor is on the list of non-compatible compressors and my thought before was fuck it and just use it, but now I'm having second thoughts. Four seasons seems to be the main re-manufacturer of compressors. My other option is a used Seiko compressor off eBay. 

Our Road America group seemed to enjoy this, figured I'd post it here.

Grandfather completed the Skip Barber school in 91. As a huge racing fan and a high level craftsman, this is the result:

95734365_10223489191521253_3948775657583935488_o.jpg

96260415_10223489201321498_4466402148275453952_o.jpg

I'll post the other cars later. This was one of the first ones, the later ones were a significant improvement over these ones(I think he would agree). You can actually see parts of one of the others in the corner of these pictures. Free internet points if you can tell me which one it is based off.

35 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

Anyone have personal experience with Four Seasons products? My Bosch AC compressor is on the list of non-compatible compressors and my thought before was fuck it and just use it, but now I'm having second thoughts. Four seasons seems to be the main re-manufacturer of compressors. My other option is a used Seiko compressor off eBay. 

Called Polar Bear Inc., specializes in rebuilding compressors, and while they could have it rebuilt and shipped back out in 48 hours, they want $389 to do it (plus shipping a heavy item there and back). That's about the same price as a brand new one. 

Finally got the Konica to Micro 4/3 adapter and did some shooting with the Sigma today. It's a joy to use and I love the way it looks on the camera.

sQAUViB.jpg

The camera has a lot of great features that make it easy to shoot with a manual lens (focus peaking, magnification in the viewfinder, highlights under/overexposed areas). I don't think I had any shots that were out of focus. The images are sharp when stopped down, but definitely have some "character" when shooting at larger apertures. Contrast and colors also get washed out pretty frequently depending on where the light is coming from. It's not a lens I would recommend to anyone, but I enjoy it.

XNpSlxr.jpg

88fyhdj.jpg

7 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

The classic "this is what lights at night look without my glasses" shot. Always found it amusing showing these to people and explaining that.

Hopefully it doesn't look like that picture specifically, because that's gross. The 35mm on the Nikon does a lot better job, but has some chromatic aberrations on the edges. The Sigma is even better, despite not being that great of a lens overall.

D42b7Um.jpg

Now that I've verified that I can shoot decently with a manual lens, I've gone ahead and bought a proper vintage lens, a Konica 57mm f1.4, for the princely sum of $69 shipped, with a camera attached. Oh, and also a 2nd Minolta camera with a 50mm f2 lens as part of a package deal. It's quiet a long lens for a micro 4/3 camera; I've never actually shot with that long of a lens before. However, being able to try out such high-quality optics at something like 1/4 to 1/10th the cost of comparable new lenses makes it a no-brainer IMO. Plus, if you don't like it you sell it for the same price you bought it for and the cost of shipping becomes your rental fee. Not a bad deal. A great way to experiment with different gear without going broke.