WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

21 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Cool, I had a Bayliner with a Volvo 4cyl, it had coolant in the engine and a second water pump that cycled lake water through a heat exchanger so winterizing was easy.  I think a 2 stage cooling system like that is uncommon though for freshwater boats.

Yeah, that sounds like something intended more for a saltwater environment. Pretty neat though, and a lot less risky if you don't winterize properly. I certainly would prefer it!

10 minutes ago, YoungCR said:

Didn't know you were a water skier. I've never done it but we would go watch the Mad-City ski team shows next to the Monona Terrace when I was little. 

Yeah, I've been skiing since I was pretty little just with family and friends and joined Mad-City last summer at the urging of a good friend on the team. Had an absolute blast, and hoping we still get to do it this summer, although it isn't looking great.

In 35 years you will tell your grandkids what a torqueless wonder the bellowing bi-turbo V8 was as you rub the final coat of aluminum polish on your classic first gen. Telsa cyber truck and afterwards fall back on telling them for the seventh time about how cheaply you charged your truck for back in 2030 and how you “Shoulda invested in TikTok stock back when it was below $1000/share”

What powertrain setup is in that beast? With those wheel and tires on a stock engine it wouldn't have the power to move.

I had an old 65 Bug many many years ago. Carried an ice scraper in the car for "defrosting" the inside of the windshield.  RWD plus engine over the rear was a blast to drive in the snow. Replaced an engine by putting cinder blocks under the original, unbolting things, and then lifting the car up and over the engine. Install was the reverse. Fun times.  

Hah! Nadar's rant against Corvair.

The 60s era bugs were "safe" in Europe but not in the US with the behemoths on the road. I remember one night being in the middle lane on the interstate on a sweeping curve and getting passed by a semi on my right and getting blown over one lane into the lane to my left. Just lifted/shifted the car.  Fun times. 

My son and I are starting to make a BMX course in the backyard.  I got my wife's scooter running for the season and decided tossing it around the yard for 30 mins or so was a good way to ensure it runs in tip top shape.  Here's a quick video my son wanted me to make of the down hill section.

I built a screened in porch a couple weekends ago and have slowly put some finishing touches on it.  Next weekend I'm swapping out the motion light for a normal outdoor light fixture with two GFCI outlets so my wife can continue to decorate as she sees fit. The roof was already existing so all I did was frame it, screen it, build the door and added some finishing trim.  This is by far the largest wood project I've done and I'm pretty happy with it.  It's not perfect by any means but it's functional.  Operation fuck off mosquitos.

IMG_20200425_201625.jpgIMG_20200416_192133.jpgIMG_20200416_192101.jpg

1 minute ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I built a screened in porch a couple weekends ago and have slowly put some finishing touches on it.  Next weekend I'm swapping out the motion light for a normal outdoor light fixture with two GFCI outlets so my wife can continue to decorate as she sees fit. The roof was already existing so all I did was frame it, screen it, build the door and added some finishing trim.  This is by far the largest wood project I've done and I'm pretty happy with it.  It's not perfect by any means but it's functional.  Operation fuck off mosquitos.

IMG_20200425_201625.jpgIMG_20200416_192133.jpgIMG_20200416_192101.jpg

Damn Pat, Thats looking great!

7 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Agreed, seemed like an odd space not being screened in from the get go. Grilling out is gonna be even better. 

From the moment we moved in we knew this had to be screened in.  I'm excited for the late night bourbon tasting I can do without bugs now!

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Just needed to adopt the southern attitude and throw some couches under that bad boy. 

Looks good screened in!

Hahaha!  I suggested a couch out there and that was quickly shot down and I was called a redneck.

43 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

nice work, did you make it easy to replace the screens? your kid (or dog?) is gonna break one probably in a week. 

A week lol?  Literally the same day I put the screens up, before I had even finished every section, my dog went through not one, but two screens within an hour!  She's a 60lb pitbull and so stupid but we lover her.  She's now terrified to go near the screens and keeps her zooming to the rest of our yard.  My son has been great about it and hasn't put anything threw a screen yet.  The screens were stapled and done in sections and to replace a screen is as simple as remove the finisher boards held on with finishing nails then spread the screen.  A router would have made the screens easier to install but alas I did not have one.