WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

12 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

how bad of a beating does an auto-x put on winter tires? I assume it will be pretty rough on them. 

I did it on all seasons but was the only person of 45 without snow tires. The track was snow and ice covered so I cant imagine it being too harsh on them. The next one I go to will be with snow tires and I shouldve known better but you live and you learn 

• 2 weeks later...

The Chinese are fully in the HiFi realm(not that they already weren't). Good audio is getting cheap and cheap audio is getting good.

If you're interested in improving your listening experience but aren't looking to drop hundreds of dollars, there are a lot of good options out there.

These are amazing for the price($20), KZ ZST. And if you are looking for a better version of the previous, KZ ZS10 Pro ($50).

Bought both of them, both of them sound great. Going to return the ZST as the build quality and sound of the ZS10 is better. Not an "audiophile", just like to listen to music/media as best as possible(while not going broke).

13 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

The Chinese are fully in the HiFi realm(not that they already weren't). Good audio is getting cheap and cheap audio is getting good.

If you're interested in improving your listening experience but aren't looking to drop hundreds of dollars, there are a lot of good options out there.

These are amazing for the price($20), KZ ZST. And if you are looking for a better version of the previous, KZ ZS10 Pro ($50).

Bought both of them, both of them sound great. Going to return the ZST as the build quality and sound of the ZS10 is better. Not an "audiophile", just like to listen to music/media as best as possible(while not going broke).

I was really hoping this was an option to a cheap OEM looking Blaupunkt radio. Le sigh.  

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Valentines day! (whatever that actually means).
Browsing Blipshift last night for the first time in a while and I felt proud to be part of a subset of people known as car enthusiasts. I scrolled through some clever and stunning shirt designs with witty captions and inside jokes and thought about what the average person would think if I wore the shirt and if it might strike up a conversation requiring me to try to explain something that ends up being a massive waste of both of our time. Things that only another car enthusiast would appreciate. The hobby itself is like a diamond, multi-faceted, complex, and intricate, but all joining into a single cusp, which is our passion for the machine, that unites us despite our different preferences.

I just think its kind of cool.

/not on MDMA

1 hour ago, B C said:

Happy Valentines day! (whatever that actually means).

st. valentines was commonly associated with courtly love. (read: not Courtney Love). Courtly love was the deeds and chivalry by a knight to a lovely married women and the knight was actually not attacking the pink fortress.  not too different from the relationships car enthusiasts have with each other.

1 hour ago, B C said:

that unites us despite our different preferences.

i do still like you, despite your choice of e46 over e30. happy valentines day.

I need some type of ear protection that has music. I have ear muffs, but I need sound. 3M makes Bluetooth ear muffs but the sound is apparently subpar. So maybe a set of over the ear headphones would work okay but they’re not designed for sound reduction. I have read that noise canceling headphones aren’t really designed to cancel everyday sounds but more if a constant low frequency like you would find on a plane. 

Any suggestions? With what would be better? Right now I’m leaning towards a pair of over the heat headphones from Amazon. 

9 hours ago, gilber33 said:

I need some type of ear protection that has music. I have ear muffs, but I need sound. 3M makes Bluetooth ear muffs but the sound is apparently subpar. So maybe a set of over the ear headphones would work okay but they’re not designed for sound reduction. I have read that noise canceling headphones aren’t really designed to cancel everyday sounds but more if a constant low frequency like you would find on a plane. 

Any suggestions? With what would be better? Right now I’m leaning towards a pair of over the heat headphones from Amazon. 

A friend of mine runs larger machinery and Mills would wear muffs with airpods inside of them. 

image.jpegImage result for air pods

11 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

A friend of mine runs larger machinery and Mills would wear muffs with airpods inside of them. 

This is what I was trying last night - ear muffs with earbuds in. But when I put on the ear muffs, they "distorted" my ears and then the earbuds didn't sit in my ears flush and the sound was pretty awful. They were the larger earbuds with the the padding on them, so maybe a slimmer design would work better. 3M makes an earmuff with bluetooth connection. I wonder what would provide a better sound protection - earmuffs with bluetooth and not as great speakers or an over-the-ear headphones with better speakers. 

19 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

This is what I was trying last night - ear muffs with earbuds in. But when I put on the ear muffs, they "distorted" my ears and then the earbuds didn't sit in my ears flush and the sound was pretty awful. They were the larger earbuds with the the padding on them, so maybe a slimmer design would work better. 3M makes an earmuff with bluetooth connection. I wonder what would provide a better sound protection - earmuffs with bluetooth and not as great speakers or an over-the-ear headphones with better speakers. 

I would assume that actual air pods or similar quality pods would be better than muffs with built in speakers. Maybe try larger muffs that don't distort your ears? You always have the option to Van Gogh yourself too..