WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

15 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

My mother in law's bil got a 94 525i for free from the original owner out of Chicago.  Apparently he's known their family for some time and she called him because the car has been over heating and she doesn't want to fix it so she gave it to him. It is absolutely mint!  No rust, interior smells like new, the leather feels great and it has original wheels along with an aftermarket set.  It's an auto with 91k.  I'll be helping him do the water pump then he plans on taking it back to Texas where it'll serve as a weekend cruiser.

IMG_20191222_165803.jpgIMG_20191222_165817.jpg

I want. Thats awesome.

32 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I support this draining of the bank account.  Find a 951 with a blown engine (won't be hard) and do something cool.

I'm trying to tell myself that I would get lucky and not purchase an absolute money pit, I have enough expensive hobbies as it is lol

The other one I keep thinking about is a supercharged Mini Cooper S. Ex had one and I thought it was a blast to drive

2 hours ago, Ryan... said:

I'm trying to tell myself that I would get lucky and not purchase an absolute money pit, I have enough expensive hobbies as it is lol

The other one I keep thinking about is a supercharged Mini Cooper S. Ex had one and I thought it was a blast to drive

Do yourself a favor and buy an r56 with the turbo. Still cheap and more fun with the ability to make cheap power in a hilarious package.

6 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Do yourself a favor and buy an r56 with the turbo. Still cheap and more fun with the ability to make cheap power in a hilarious package.

I've got a couple of those saved on the ol bookface as well. So many cool options out there to play with.

I want to test drive a turbo option, I absolutely loved the supercharger whine on the one I used to drive frequently. A smaller pulley, intake, exhaust, removal of excess weight...om nom nom :D

3 hours ago, Ryan... said:

I've got a couple of those saved on the ol bookface as well. So many cool options out there to play with.

I want to test drive a turbo option, I absolutely loved the supercharger whine on the one I used to drive frequently. A smaller pulley, intake, exhaust, removal of excess weight...om nom nom :D

I can provide you with a test drive of a fbo r56 just lemme know when you're in the Waukesha area.

25 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I can provide you with a test drive of a fbo r56 just lemme know when you're in the Waukesha area.

FBO?  I'm guessing that's the turbo designation?

I found an 03 Cooper S with 73k, for $3400 OBO.   Has a rebuilt title from an accident in 05 when it had 15k miles on it. Apparently front bumper and hood were replaced, so I'd have to really look it over and make sure it's driving w/o issues, same owner since they bought it after the repairs.

2 minutes ago, Ryan... said:

FBO?  I'm guessing that's the turbo designation?

I found an 03 Cooper S with 73k, for $3400 OBO.   Has a rebuilt title from an accident in 05 when it had 15k miles on it. Apparently front bumper and hood were replaced, so I'd have to really look it over and make sure it's driving w/o issues, same owner since they bought it after the repairs.

FBO = full bolt on.  Down pipe, tune, exhaust, intake, etc.  It's every power adder you can bolt on other than a new turbo.  It's also on bc coilovers and a stage 3 clutch.  It's pretty quick, makes good noise and a blast to toss.

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

FBO = full bolt on.  Down pipe, tune, exhaust, intake, etc.  It's every power adder you can bolt on other than a new turbo.  It's also on bc coilovers and a stage 3 clutch.  It's pretty quick, makes good noise and a blast to toss.

Ah, makes sense! Is that your DD? I'd definitely be interested in trying it out, I remember even the stock supercharged version being an absolute blast to drive.

8 hours ago, Ryan... said:

Ah, makes sense! Is that your DD? I'd definitely be interested in trying it out, I remember even the stock supercharged version being an absolute blast to drive.

My twin brother had one. They are cool but unfortunately FWD. His had a pulley reduction and a few other go fast bits too. Just dont forget. If it had a an accident in 2005 when it was 2 years old the accident was bad. Unlike if it was totaled a few months ago. Old cars get totaled out for nothing. New ones its usually a bigger hit. 

1 minute ago, Rekpoint said:

My twin brother had one. They are cool but unfortunately FWD. His had a pulley reduction and a few other go fast bits too. Just dont forget. If it had a an accident in 2005 when it was 2 years old the accident was bad. Unlike if it was totaled a few months ago. Old cars get totaled out for nothing. New ones its usually a bigger hit. 

I was thinking more along the lines of, it's been driven/owned by the same people for nearly 60k miles since the crash, it there were crash related issues they'd likely have dumped it much sooner. But, who knows without an inspection?

1 minute ago, Ryan... said:

I was thinking more along the lines of, it's been driven/owned by the same people for nearly 60k miles since the crash, it there were crash related issues they'd likely have dumped it much sooner. But, who knows without an inspection?

Thats a good possibility too. If it makes you feel any better in Wisconsin to get issued a rebuilt title you need to go through an inspection. 

Just now, Rekpoint said:

Thats a good possibility too. If it makes you feel any better in Wisconsin to get issued a rebuilt title you need to go through an inspection. 

This one is located in Illinois, so I don't know exactly how that works here.

The more I think about it. He seems very open to offers as it's been listed for a while, but it looks clean for the age as most seem to have rusty hatches at this point in their lives.

1 minute ago, Ryan... said:

This one is located in Illinois, so I don't know exactly how that works here.

The more I think about it. He seems very open to offers as it's been listed for a while, but it looks clean for the age as most seem to have rusty hatches at this point in their lives.

That is true. My twins had rust bubbles on the hatch.

• 2 weeks later...