WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Yell (scold) if you must, but I bought another car and its not a BMW.

I use to have an IS300 with air ride prior to my E30. When I sold that, I kept the air ride and always said I would buy another later on down the road. Well.. I happened across an is250 sport last week that was dirty everywhere, including a vomit filled back seat from the demon crotch droplets this lady called children. It also needed some small items (Brakes & TPMS), but had low milles and a low price. I don't plan on keeping this one, but I might relive my past by installing wheels and air ride. 🙃

After its first wash in years;

IMG_1625.JPG

My old IS300 (circa 2010)

IMG_1788.JPG

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I bet they would really love the 22" Asanti wheels then lol.

Generally, yes, that would go into the 'hated mod' category too.  I however give a bit more leniency to wheel size though.  On my Gen 1 I went with 18" (up from stock 17") with the stock size 35" tire and really liked the look.  Other Raptor owners hated it and said I defiled the truck.  My Gen 2 I have 20" wheel with 37" tires, again, I really like the look and feel the tire to wheel ratio still works.  22" is a bit big for me especially if he's still on 35's, but to each his own.  Most Raptors never leave the pavement.

The reason we all get so excited about the lift mods, is that all the suspension is set up ready to be lifted without the stupid spacers.  Putting spacers in means the owner (or installer) knows nothing about the Raptor.

38 minutes ago, REKIII said:

Generally, yes, that would go into the 'hated mod' category too.  I however give a bit more leniency to wheel size though.  On my Gen 1 I went with 18" (up from stock 17") with the stock size 35" tire and really liked the look.  Other Raptor owners hated it and said I defiled the truck.  My Gen 2 I have 20" wheel with 37" tires, again, I really like the look and feel the tire to wheel ratio still works.  22" is a bit big for me especially if he's still on 35's, but to each his own.  Most Raptors never leave the pavement.

The reason we all get so excited about the lift mods, is that all the suspension is set up ready to be lifted without the stupid spacers.  Putting spacers in means the owner (or installer) knows nothing about the Raptor.

That makes sense regarding the suspension.  So this is the actual truck.  The tires a really nice but I think the wheels and wheel lights fall into the "Concrete Cowboy" or "Mall Crawler" category.  To each their own, he's driving a brand new raptor with $6k in wheels and tires and i'm driving around in a used F150 and an 8 year old BMW.

69905435_2479034178809698_4785639684338352128_o (2).jpg

4 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

The tires a really nice but I think the wheels and wheel lights fall into the "Concrete Cowboy" or "Mall Crawler" category.  To each their own, he's driving a brand new raptor with $6k in wheels and tires and i'm driving around in a used F150 and an 8 year old BMW.

True, and I agree. Its a really good example of money can't buy taste. Taste is more of a development with exposed time and knowledge to a subject. Everything has its place, whether its liked or not by the masses. 

29 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

That makes sense regarding the suspension.  So this is the actual truck.  The tires a really nice but I think the wheels and wheel lights fall into the "Concrete Cowboy" or "Mall Crawler" category.  To each their own, he's driving a brand new raptor with $6k in wheels and tires and i'm driving around in a used F150 and an 8 year old BMW.

Agreed.  Bit overdone in my opinion, but that's all it is, an opinion.  If he likes it, more power to him!

I've been having some good times with my new house.  So it is a modular (not manufactured /mobile) home that was built in 2013.  So a regular house that is set in pieces and fastened together, this one is 3 long pieces and then the roof installed after because it is tall, 9 foot ceilings, and a 6/12 pitch roof.  Well I started poking around a little by the windows and noticed some mold under the window trim when I pulled a couple pieces off to inspect further.  Well one thing led to another and now I have all of the siding off of one end of the house.  repaired water damage around all of the windows due to terrible installation of the house wrap and nonexistent flashing around the windows.  Good thing we caught it now or it would have been much worse.

Pretty disappointing to find on an almost brand new house.  Of course the place that built it is out of business since then... I wonder why.  Otherwise it is a well built sturdy house.

So before winter I am trying to remove the vinyl siding, remove the windows, which is easy because they are vinyl with integrated J channel, repair any damage.  Install new house wrap and reinstall the windows properly.  Then reinstall the siding.

Watch out for modular builds from Liberty Homes, the factory is in Dorchester WI headquarters was Goshen Indiana.  I think the time it was built must have been about the end so maybe earlier ones were fine?

I will have to post some pics, everything about the weatherproofing is a comedy of errors.

Windows are the worst.  There is no 'Cheap' way to do them.  Economy home builders think that they can just slap vinyl windows in and they are good.  It's nearly impossible to tell when the house is first done too, you basically have to see them do it, or wait and hope.

Good luck getting it all rectified.

23 minutes ago, REKIII said:

Windows are the worst.  There is no 'Cheap' way to do them.  Economy home builders think that they can just slap vinyl windows in and they are good.  It's nearly impossible to tell when the house is first done too, you basically have to see them do it, or wait and hope.

Good luck getting it all rectified.

Yea, it was a combination of damaged house wrap, like holes all over, improper lapping.  Then the windows were just caulked on all 4 sides into the opening and no Butyl flashing tape applied anywhere.  If my wife wasn't so sensitive to mold smell we probably wouldn't have noticed until the damage was much worse.  It really isn't that bad but she thinks we just need to sell it as a distressed property for cheap and run away.  I'll chalk that up to being 6 months pregnant crazy hormones...

22 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i don't think i'd buy a house built after 1980. less and less pride in workmanship over the years combined with homeowners wanting a million square feet at the cost of using low quality materials and construction.  bad recipe!

Having owned a house built pre-1890 and now being in a house built in 1988 I can say that I much prefer my current home but there's something to be said about a house that's over 100 years old and for it's age our last home was in great condition but I had my fair share of 130 year old home issues and they were not cheap because the homes are so "unique" at that age.  Outside of a custom home my skepticism line is pretty firmly placed in the late 90's early 2000's and newer for build quality.  I've seen too many "new" homes that were absolute trash or had friends replacing roofs, window's and frames, etc. in houses less than 20 years old.