WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Need HELP No crank, no start with e36

Guest eurrofreak

Question

Guest eurrofreak

My car seems to have a common issue but I'm still not sure what to do first. It's a late build '95 318i, so probably ewsII, haven't checked yet. The tumbler was doing the common spinning every once in a while, but no other problems, caught ususally after spinning a few times.

In the last month it did this to me twice where the key would turn into the start position, everything lights up like it should, but no crank or any noise at all. After a few minutes it started normal like nothing happened. It did this last night too after I got out of work, seems to happen when the car is cold too.

Another possibly related thing is the last couple of days it has been around 20's finally and the car wouldn't start right away, I would have to hold the key in the start a few seconds before the starter cranks. So probably part of the same issue.

The question I have is this possibly the EWS problem or the tumbler problem, or I might have both maybe?

18 answers to this question

Guest eurrofreak

There isn't even the fuel pump kicking in, its definitely a problem where the immobilizer is acting up, but I just don't know If I should start with the module or the tumble. I'm leaning toward the the EWS now after reading more about these problems, it just sucks that the car is stuck downtown.

Guest eurrofreak

Ignition switch is a possibility I suppose but it doesn't seem to be a common problem for these cars judging from what I have found. I do have the spinning tumbler problem that is very common for e36, but as I have found out should not hamper starting yet. And like I said there is no crank, so no fuel problems.

You can try jump starting it. Off the ignition switch.it more of sounds to be the ignition switch problem if ews2 acts out it says screw you and won't crank over. Ews failure you won't have fuel ignition or cranking at all

If you think ews is the problem I can tell you how

To delete it

Edited by Dr.frankinstein

Guest eurrofreak

New development, looks to be the starter. Decided to take it out of the equation just to be safe before deleting the ews, and it wound up having power to the S terminal when attempting to start. I don't think this is good news though, just cause its a pickle to replace apparently.

Guest eurrofreak

Thats what I'm in the process of doing. Gotta love old, brittle hoses on a 17 year old car with 220k. This is turning out to be the hardest starter change I have ever done.

Guest eurrofreak

Not really, the dumb power block or whatever its called that's in the lower part and has a bunch of hoses and plugs going into it is pissing me off. Mainly time constraint though, but I should be able to tackle it tomorrow.

Guest eurrofreak

Forgot to update, but its finished. It was a real pain especially with the wiring but marking the pigtails helped a lot. Once the manifold was out of the way, getting the starter out was simple. I bench tested it and it tested ok but drew less amps than expected and sounded weak. I'm assuming moving the thing around shook it off the bad spot or something. The new started fixed the problem though so I'm not worried about it. After putting the manifold back on and together the engine did take forever to catch for some reason. I understand the fuel pressure takes time to build up, but I have never had to try so long and so many times. I was worried that I might have not connected some sensor, but after some starting fluid, it barely coughed to life, and eventually ran fine. It does have a check engine light on now, so something did not go back together correctly, but that's for another day since the car does run great.

On 12/26/2012 at 6:35 PM, Jeff said:

You can try jump starting it. Off the ignition switch.it more of sounds to be the ignition switch problem if ews2 acts out it says screw you and won't crank over. Ews failure you won't have fuel ignition or cranking at all

If you think ews is the problem I can tell you how

To delete it

How do i delete the ews? I have a 97 318is, lost the original key with the remote. Starts occasionally with the spare key however yesterday it locked by itself and doesn't wana unlock and its not starting (cluster lights comes on but no crank). 

On 3/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, Ras said:

How do i delete the ews? I have a 97 318is, lost the original key with the remote. Starts occasionally with the spare key however yesterday it locked by itself and doesn't wana unlock and its not starting (cluster lights comes on but no crank). 

I texted Jeff to let him know, he's not on here much anymore. The OP was dealing with a OBDI car with EWS, it's simpler as you can just swap out the ecu/dme for a earlier version. I'm not sure how the delete works on OBDII cars.