WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Are you keeping your BMW "forever"?

B C

• 5 years later...
On 12/12/2012 at 7:52 PM, snap said:

What is the fate of your car(s). Are you keeping it forever, planning on selling it for a car you want more? Hate BMWs and cant wait to get into a new Chevrolet Malibu with OnStar?

I have had my car for over 3 years now and never plan to ever sell it. It isnt my primary mode of transport so that shouldnt be too difficult. My goal is to keep making it lighter without making it obnoxious to drive on the street, enter it into more track events, and to spend more time enjoying it than working on it.

On 12/12/2012 at 8:32 PM, YoungCR said:

I plan on keeping my E28 forever. I'm sentimentally attached to it since its the car I learned to drive stick on and the car that made me fall in love with all things BMW. I know its gonna cost me but at least I'll be happy ;) Now that it isn't my primary driver I'll be putting in all the long overdue work that it deserves, probably won't be finished anytime soon either.

On 12/13/2012 at 9:28 AM, wasnt m3 said:

I plan on keeping my e36. I'd never be able to replace it if I wanted to and I spent a lot of time trying to find the right one.

My e46 touring is gonna be driven into the ground simply because I have so little money in it. I just plan on adding to my collection in the future:)

On 12/13/2012 at 10:54 PM, straight6pwr said:

first e30- knew i would get rid of it because late models are so much sexier

second e30 - would have kept it forever, but a wreck claimed it

current e34 - would love to keep forever, eventually as a winter beater, but i'm not that attached to it as compared to e30s.

Stumbled on this while searching for something completely unrelated.

I started the e21 when I was already "old" and knew exactly what I wanted. My plan for the car hasn't really changed since I started it, so in theory when it's finished it should be my ideal car. On the other hand, life is a journey, and not a destination, so once it's done and I've "arrived" it's not hard to imagine getting bored and wanting to to start another journey. On the third hand, I've gone through a lot with this particular hunk of metal, and having made it my own, it's hard to imagine anyone would be willing to offer me enough for it that I'd actually want to part with it...

Time will tell...

21 hours ago, Earl said:

I have a car that would make zero sense selling so I'll have it unless it has a building fall on it or it's in a fire. 

Im looking for matches right now, give me a minute...............................................................................................

With that I plan on keeping my E30 forever. Unless someone shows up with $40k or something stupid for it. I get really attached and its hard to let go. This is the exact reason I have a 30 year old civic shell in my parents garage. :shifty:

Seeing as this is WiBimmers, home of the infinite project and largest gathering of like minded procrastinators, maybe there should be a stipulation in this conversation that states you plan on keeping your BMW forever because it's running and you like driving it and not because you just haven't finished the "project".  Keeping an unfinished project for a decade or so is akin to buying a Lego set, starting it and then putting it in your closet to finish it later.  That is now your forever Lego set.

Normally I would say no, I'm not keeping my current BMWs forever. 

In real terms, though, we are at a point in history now where if you want a really good driving experience with some purity, you have no choice but to keep the "older" bmws. I look around today and ask "what can tick the boxes of high revving V8, manual, RWD, nice interior, good looking, and has great road feel?" There is nothing. The closest thing is a GT350 mustang but that fails on interior quality, and I've parked my E92 next to one before and side by side, the GT350 looks like a crackerjack box toy. Just cheap plastic and shit. It looks like a gimmick at that angle. 

I just don't know what there is to move on to. I think at this point I would be just acquiring more old cars as opposed to replacing my BMWs. 

On 11/20/2018 at 1:44 PM, i_love_cars said:

Normally I would say no, I'm not keeping my current BMWs forever. 

In real terms, though, we are at a point in history now where if you want a really good driving experience with some purity, you have no choice but to keep the "older" bmws. I look around today and ask "what can tick the boxes of high revving V8, manual, RWD, nice interior, good looking, and has great road feel?" There is nothing. The closest thing is a GT350 mustang but that fails on interior quality, and I've parked my E92 next to one before and side by side, the GT350 looks like a crackerjack box toy. Just cheap plastic and shit. It looks like a gimmick at that angle. 

I just don't know what there is to move on to. I think at this point I would be just acquiring more old cars as opposed to replacing my BMWs. 

*cough*porsche GT car*cough*

35 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

Right but like i said, i'd have to acquire - not sell, and by the time I can justify 150k on a car, they'll be old and have to be because 6MT won't be a thing anymore lol

Meh, whatever.  Its only the cost of some peoples homes.  Quit being a peasant.  It's all in the name of the ultimate driving experience!  That's priceless-ish!