WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Are you keeping your BMW "forever"?

B C

What is the fate of your car(s). Are you keeping it forever, planning on selling it for a car you want more? Hate BMWs and cant wait to get into a new Chevrolet Malibu with OnStar?

I have had my car for over 3 years now and never plan to ever sell it. It isnt my primary mode of transport so that shouldnt be too difficult. My goal is to keep making it lighter without making it obnoxious to drive on the street, enter it into more track events, and to spend more time enjoying it than working on it.

I had always planned on keeping my 318is "forever" until my brother rolled it during a joy ride.

The other one I wanted to keep forever was the M5, but I got greedy with plans of supercharging the 540i, which never happened. Now I wish I'd have kept it rather than taking the small loss on it like I did :(

I plan on keeping my E28 forever. I'm sentimentally attached to it since its the car I learned to drive stick on and the car that made me fall in love with all things BMW. I know its gonna cost me but at least I'll be happy ;) Now that it isn't my primary driver I'll be putting in all the long overdue work that it deserves, probably won't be finished anytime soon either.

I'm sentimentally attached to it since its the car I learned to drive stick on and the car that made me fall in love with all things BMW.

Your not the only one who fell in love with that car! She took my stick driving virginity too.

I'm fixing up the 318is to have it worthy to be sold at a decent price. Great little car but isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I would like to find my perfect one, making it my own and then I would plan to keep it forever.

I don't plan to ever sell my e39. It's been touted as the best BMW ever made by new and old BMW aficionados. If something beyond my control happens and I have to sell it, or it gets wrecked, I'll probably be devastated, lol.

I already told the wife that in a few years (cough...too many....cough) it will be sitting in the garage next to a gallardo.

I already told the wife that in a few years (cough...too many....cough) it will be sitting in the garage next to a gallardo.

If you go on the forum 6speedonline, its cool to see how cheap you can actually own a Gallardo! A lot of those guys are getting over or close to 50k per clutch, they change their own oil, etc.. I've seen a couple guys on there say that they spend on average between $800-1200 a year on their car. That's not a lot considering the car, and they seem to be as reliable as many other performance cars (M5, M6, DB9, etc..)

Personally, I'll wait for the F430 to drop into the 65-80k range and then do whatever it costs to pick one up. Black, with the F1 gearbox. They no longer used belts in the F430, and the motor doesn't need to be dropped for basic maintenance like the 360, 355, etc..

If you go on the forum 6speedonline, its cool to see how cheap you can actually own a Gallardo! A lot of those guys are getting over or close to 50k per clutch, they change their own oil, etc.. I've seen a couple guys on there say that they spend on average between $800-1200 a year on their car. That's not a lot considering the car, and they seem to be as reliable as many other performance cars (M5, M6, DB9, etc..)

Personally, I'll wait for the F430 to drop into the 65-80k range and then do whatever it costs to pick one up. Black, with the F1 gearbox. They no longer used belts in the F430, and the motor doesn't need to be dropped for basic maintenance like the 360, 355, etc..

I will have to check that out. Definitely have to wait until I upgrade to a location that has garage space. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing, that that sort of upgrade will cost more.....a lot mor aparrently, than the gallardo.

I had always planned on keeping my 318is "forever" until my brother rolled it during a joy ride.

The other one I wanted to keep forever was the M5, but I got greedy with plans of supercharging the 540i, which never happened. Now I wish I'd have kept it rather than taking the small loss on it like I did :(

Don't worry.... The 318s soul live on with in my car... I should take care it. :).

I still owe you a few bucks I think too.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Simon S

After working on the car on/off for over seven years,

the game is on for how well-maintained and how long I can keep it and enjoy it.. and I do enjoy it immensely.

In other words - I want to keep it until I'm too old to shift gears.

After working on the car on/off for over seven years,

the game is on for how well-maintained and how long I can keep it and enjoy it.. and I do enjoy it immensely.

In other words - I want to keep it until I'm too old to shift gears.

I found a solution for being to old to switch gears. PADDLE SHIFTERS!!!!