WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

M3 owner/broken BMW fixer

MPW3RLee

Well, stumbled across this page thanks to [mention=3693]SteelBlue[/mention] and [mention=2832]suspenceful[/mention], and quite honestly don’t know how I haven’t found it sooner! Currently have a 2009 M3 family hauler/grocery getter/autoX machine and 2017 i3 with range extender (weird car, right?) Been wrenching on BMW’s for 9 years now in a couple different dealerships between AL and WI. Grew up here in the 920 and hope to stick around for a while! A couple people on here may know me if I’ve worked on your cars, and if I haven’t then maybe some day! Hope to see some of you fellow BMW drivers on the road!

Here’s a couple pics of some of my current and previous BMWs

5b09e794761fd4c3aed007c1cab25029.jpg3dd40f6eabe558bc44bbfeae70a1307c.jpgd21a9335669bcca96456e48fa2a55789.jpgd28bc0eee21cc8ea43a3a3de5778c817.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'd love an i3!
Do you know of any reliability issues or think it would be a terrible idea to buy one used with some miles on it?

We haven’t seen too many issues with these yet, but I’m not sure I’d like to own one out of warranty. Any of the parts related to the high voltage system or batteries are ridiculously expensive. I’m only doing a 2 year lease on mine but for $160 a month it’s probably the cheapest payment I’ll ever have for a car [emoji23]

welcome! more info on your past e30?

It was an 87 325is primarily used for autoX and HPDE

Unfortunately I sold it a few years ago, but it was built to spec e30 as far as engine, suspension, brakes, sway bars, etc. Only thing I didn’t have was the cage. I would’ve kept it but I sold it due to lack of room in the garage and it contributed to a down payment on a house.....adulting sucks sometimes lol

What's up Lee! 
I couldn't tell if it was you following me towards the mall the other day in an i3 from the house, but it just may have been! Glad to see you ended up getting one. 

Welcome to here (obligatory statement for all welcome posts)

It was probably my wife, I would’ve done something obnoxious like try to race if I had seen you [emoji23]

name 3 BMWs you would never own due to their lack of reliability/cost to repair/general PITA nature

Anything with a twin turbo V8 N63 and over 50k miles, E65/66 745’s and also M57 diesels (unless you remove all the emissions junk) All expensive to repair and generally have multiple issues

Dude, I don't know about this one. BMW diesel life has been great for me so far. I would go as far as saying it has been the pinnacle of reliability and the easiest motor to find parts for.

But the diesels you have don’t have nearly as much emissions stuff! I agree the engines themselves aren’t the issue, the core of those engines are actually great. But when EGR cooler springs break, NOx sensors fail, temp sensors fail, SCR cats fail, SCR tanks fail, and glow plug modules fail, they’re not cheap. But get rid of all that stuff and then they’re great.

5 hours ago, MPW3RLee said:

But the diesels you have don’t have nearly as much emissions stuff! I agree the engines themselves aren’t the issue, the core of those engines are actually great. But when EGR cooler springs break, NOx sensors fail, temp sensors fail, SCR cats fail, SCR tanks fail, and glow plug modules fail, they’re not cheap. But get rid of all that stuff and then they’re great.

Ben is messing with you. His diesel swap has been a can of worms to say the least.

Either way, glad to see you on here! Don't flake away like 90% of the newcomers. There are a variety of builds going on here, at completely different ends of the spectrum.

Ben is messing with you. His diesel swap has been a can of worms to say the least.
Either way, glad to see you on here! Don't flake away like 90% of the newcomers. There are a variety of builds going on here, at completely different ends of the spectrum.

Hah I suppose I don’t know enough about Bens car but since I’ve never seen it on the road, I should’ve been able to put that together 🤦‍♂️[emoji23]