Jump to content
WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community
vbhargava

E30 ECU - 0 261 200 173

Recommended Posts

Looking to replace my ECU to add stomp test functionality. 
1988 E30 325i Convertible.



Direct answer:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Used-BMW-E30-E34-M20B25-ECU-DME-MOTRONIC-0-261-200-173/202277688053?epid=606183114&hash=item2f18b092f5:g:9kgAAOSwvktai5x5


Trying to be helpful answer:

Being an 87 vert it should already have Motronic 1.3 and stomp test functionality.

What are the last 3 digits of the ECU in the car now? There are some different revisions of the 173 ECU that are all interchangeable such as a 380, 524 or 525 ECU

If it has anything other than a 153 ECU and you cant get the stomp test to work then most likely the TPS is at fault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate the advice and direction.

I currently have a 153 ECU. I'm pretty new to the E30 world, but from my understanding, the 173 should be interchangeable and still allows me to easily chip (Turner or Dinan) the ECU for an extra 15hp. Thoughts? 

 

7 hours ago, snap said:

 


Direct answer:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Used-BMW-E30-E34-M20B25-ECU-DME-MOTRONIC-0-261-200-173/202277688053?epid=606183114&hash=item2f18b092f5:g:9kgAAOSwvktai5x5


Trying to be helpful answer:

Being an 87 vert it should already have Motronic 1.3 and stomp test functionality.

What are the last 3 digits of the ECU in the car now? There are some different revisions of the 173 ECU that are all interchangeable such as a 380, 524 or 525 ECU

If it has anything other than a 153 ECU and you cant get the stomp test to work then most likely the TPS is at fault
 

 

 

1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the 173 will work and will get you stomp test, but you can also just get a Peake or other code reader which would be cheaper if you have the connector under the hood and you're just looking for diagnostics and resetting your oil service lights.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-peake-research-parts/fcx-3-service-scan-reset-tool/r5-slash-fcx3/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-6bWBRBiEiwA_K1ZDcN5atlGcdV0vYhOrV0yqwds4R_zcBGGGqFjSim9Rhe7QIwBEu8v0xoCsDUQAvD_BwE

As for chips, Turner is seen by some as slightly better than the Dinan in an e30. With the +15hp I found more that it gives you a bit more midrange grunt and bumps up the redline. I would notice it especially at corner exit on track more than anywhere else. Mark D chips (D'Silva, EAT chips) tend to give more of a HP/TQ bump all along the power band and thus are seen as a better choice. http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/

There are other chip options that have been more popular with the R3V folks of late such as SSSquid. https://www.sssquid.com/v3/

Still, if you want power you have the wrong car unless you turbo the m20 (@Snap will tell you stories), or engine swap it where plenty of folks here will help you with info spend your $$$.

Depending what you've already done to the car a better first step than a chip is to improve the suspension.

Anyway, hope the weather improves so you can drop the top and have fun!     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mark D’Sylva 93 octane with newer plastic bodied injectors is a very good upgrade for throttle response and some power. Obviously theres not a ton to be extracted from bolt-ons but its worth the money to me if you dont have any intentions for boost or engine swaps.

 

Upgraded injectors (requires corresponding tune)

 

http://maksinjection.com/?product=bosch-0280-155-746-19-injectors-set-of-6

 

Alternatively M50 injectors are also an upgrade (better atomization) and do not require a tune

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@snap @Boris3

This is great advice. 

The E30 is meant to be my chill car so I'm only planning minor upgrades. Mark D'Sylva's Chip looks like a great option, especially with upgraded injectors. Any idea what 19 injectors + Marl's chip should do in terms of power increase?

 

This probably isnt the place to ask but since I have your ear. My E30 is smelling of gas near the rear passenger wheel. The fuel pump and lines around it look good except the one in the top right corner. Havnt yet figure out what it is but it looks like crap. My plan is to remove the rear wheel and liner and start looking for leaks. Have to wait a couple of weeks before I have a chance to dig into it. Any ideas or places I should look for common failures? Thanks!

IMAG0701.jpg

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your gas tank probably has a rust hole that finally went through. It's a very very common issue. I am willing to bet at least 80% of the members of this forum with e30's, that have original tanks, have a leak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Earl said:

Your gas tank probably has a rust hole that finally went through. It's a very very common issue. I am willing to bet at least 80% of the members of this forum with e30's, that have original tanks, have a leak. 

Crossing my fingers its not a rust hole but will do a full inspection. The car is being delivered from California later this week so hasn't seen the usual WI salt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This. You can try checking the hoses and clamps but typically it's a rust issue. A common problem is that water collects on the top of the tank and rusts through either the hard feed line or hard return line that both run along the top of the tank.

Not sure off the top of my head about the hp bump for Mark D but its higher than Turner/Dinan. More importantly the bump is along the entire hp/tq curve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Earl said:

Your gas tank probably has a rust hole that finally went through. It's a very very common issue. I am willing to bet at least 80% of the members of this forum with e30's, that have original tanks, have a leak. 

Yeah, I've got the same issue in the same spot. Mine leaks a little(only a few drops) whenever I fill it over a half tank, it's coming from right around the filler inlet to the tank. I'm going to check the hose to make sure it's okay, but I'm expecting it to be rust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

Yeah, I've got the same issue in the same spot. Mine leaks a little(only a few drops) whenever I fill it over a half tank, it's coming from right around the filler inlet to the tank. I'm going to check the hose to make sure it's okay, but I'm expecting it to be rust. 

You will find rust 
I have had many e30's with the filler neck metal rusted right off the tank. 
Made for a real mess one day....

Luckily new tanks (non OE) aren't too expensive and it's not a horrible swap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

You will find rust 
I have had many e30's with the filler neck metal rusted right off the tank. 
Made for a real mess one day....

Luckily new tanks (non OE) aren't too expensive and it's not a horrible swap. 

Shit. It figures that I had the driveshaft and exhaust off last winter and the leak cropped up after I put it back together. I might try jb weld or some kind of a metal putty first, I guess I’ll see how bad it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×