WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

What is going on here?

B C

Question

fb9be3e5efdca2988adbc1ca4dfa2787.jpg

Turbo is on the drivers side.

First thought was maybe it was RHD and they did something drastic with the exhaust for the sake of steering rack clearance. But then noticed the brake booster is on the left side so its LHD.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?

16 answers to this question

Via Super Street BRUH:

"SFR's Tim Richards and Jon Cutico were in charge of the work. We decided on a top-mount system, but there were issues. Since the motor is tilted towards the exhaust side, it leaves little room to route headers upwards without hacking into the passenger-side strut tower. So we took the idea from our very own Project 951 and decided to mount the turbo on the intake side instead, something that even today-well over a year after completion-is seen on probably less than a dozen E36 M3s throughout the world.

There are disadvantages to doing this, however. Firstly, there's much more piping going from the header to the turbo than on a more conventional turbo kit with a log manifold. Second, because any decent sized turbo will not fit between the driver side strut tower and the stock M3 intake manifold, a new manifold must be fabricated. Third, the relocated downpipe cannot be greater than three inches in diameter in order to clear the steering rod and transmission housing (but three inches will suffice for up to 600 wheel-hp and you could also step up to 3.5 inches after the transmission). Fourth, the power steering reservoir needs to be relocated. Fifth, the stock radiator hose will not fit because of the intake pipe. Lastly, a very hot turbo sits inches from intake manifold."

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/project-car/0612-bmw-m3-turbo-project/

2 hours ago, Earl said:

All of our inline BMW engines are tilted from the factory...

earl, come on now.

it says the motor is tilted, i assumed in some degree more than how it comes from the factory, or why would they bother mentioning it?  i guess i should make my assumption based on them being idiots. so, no, their engine is installed exactly level as designed and the thought of a creatively designed exhaust manifold was too much for their brains to comprehend.

First pic looks more like audi 5 cylinder. Volvo 5 cyliders have two cam gears up front.

I thought about swapping volvo 4 cylinder red block with 16 valve head into my e21. Its a nice motor. It has timing belt, no leaky timing covers to worry about, 16 valves and 2.3 liter with possibility to stroke it to 2.5 with a crank from the boat( volvo penta) motor. And all this with quarter of the money you would spend on 2.5 liter 16 valve bmw setup (read s14).

7 hours ago, retoropak said:

I thought about swapping volvo 4 cylinder red block with 16 valve head into my e21.

Interesting. For some reason a redblock swap never crossed my mind... makes sense though. Keeps it somewhat "period correct" if that's a thing. Not quite as much of a bastardization as putting a japanese engine from the early 2000s.

Not gonna happen, but it's interesting.