WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My slow e30 project.

Ryan...

Don't think I've actually posted this here yet..

Last year I bought me a 1989 e30 325i, 5 speed, in need of some work. The car has an odd rust hole in the door, but the frame rails and floors look fantastic! Zender front bumper that I intend on pulling off and selling, and some awesome tan comfort seats.

Here it is on the way home:

37358134234_0708717b61_c.jpg

38067963111_6446cb87c3_c.jpg

Monster truck status:

26291469709_8b1b683d41_c.jpg

Sweet ebay shift knob and Mtech boot:

38067955061_da7eaf1127_c.jpg

First thing I did was install some cheap KYB GR2 struts, Vogtland springs, and e90 drop hats up front. Then, because I'm cool like this, I spray painted the bottle caps, bought the cheapest set of 195/60/14 tires I could find on ebay, and threw on some sweet 20mm spacers. This is basically how it looks right now:

38067938891_7fa22192ab_b.jpg

Next up I have a rust free door to install, get the cluster rebuilt with new SI batteries/odo gears, and probably a sweet yellow tach. Just installed new control arms and bushings, and ordered the following goodies for it:

1. Garagistic Strut bar

2. Supersprint knockoff catback

3. FCP tune up kit with gaskets

4. All new silicone vacuum lines

5. New roundels

Those things will be going on this week.

After that I'm going to start sanding it and prepping it for paint. Also likely going to try my hand at dying the carpet black because the tan stuff is icky AF.

4 hours ago, Nick_08 said:

Nice to see you back in the e30 scene. Looks like a clean car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man! It's pretty clean, definitely in need of paint and some other cosmetic things, but overall a very good base to start with :)

4 hours ago, snap said:

Nice to see a fresh e30 build instead of the usual gay m52 swaps people r doin.

Didnt your last one end up on its roof?

#M20forLife

You mean this one...

41126818951_4fa0784c21_b.jpg

4 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Another m20!

The M20 ain't goin nowhere!

2 hours ago, Earl said:

Yay=)

Oh E-Monster, how I've missed thee <3

1 hour ago, KaiserRolls said:

Good post OP

Glad to see you back around here

Thanks man, I'm glad to be back!

Some things that have changed since I was last active: 

1. My 16 year old nephew bought his first car, a 1995 318is 5 speed, needs some work though..

2. My youngest brother bought his first BMW, a 2000 323i, auto due to the fact he's constantly stuck in traffic.

3. Girlfriend accepted a job at UW Hospital here in Madison and has decided she's buying herself an M2 :)

4. I got sent back to night shift at the PD, and my new 2018 goal is to get Alex back into a BMW and back in here.

47 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Good for her!  Good thing there is adequate public transportation in Madison to accommodate her M2 ownership.

I'm very excited for her! It's been a long journey, she's worked harder than anyone I've ever met to get where she is, and she was the first person in her class to get a job offer, and at her 1st choice as well. Once she's out of school I don't know what we'll do, she's been a student our entire relationship lol

We had a lot of fun looking at cars, haven't test driven anything yet, but it came down to a Jaguar F Type (400 series), Porsche Cayman, and the M2. From the looks of it the Jag was going to be too long and she doesn't need that much power (even though I believe it's the slowest of the 3), she really only likes Porsche because I picked her up in the 911 on our first date, but the M2 kind of hits everything she liked (helps that she knows I like BMWs, so she's started to appreciate them as well).

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I'm glad to see you piloting another E30! 
If you ever need a competent shop in Appleton let me know, I know this super legit crew that runs on taco bell and detached oil drain lines! 

God.... I should have driven up for this project.... Replaced the plugs and valve cover gasket, as well as the little rubber plugs on the front and back (no idea what they're called). Upon initial start up it ran a little rough, took it for a spin and it still seems to be idling oddly, nothing leaking from what I can see. 

26341143707_558c2ce8a0_c.jpg

Had some high temp paint left over so I did the intake manifold and valve cover.

40499943464_cc933bee92_c.jpg 

Also found some VHT red translucent paint from a long forgotten project, and decided to do my tails.

40499958984_9c41034c24_c.jpg

27339994068_eab55b4a70_c.jpg

27339996898_3d067e44fd_c.jpg

40317491265_8560acf33e_c.jpg

While I'm in here, anyone know exactly how to remove this Zender front valence?

I can see where it's screwed to the original Valance, but there's no way to get a socket or an open-end wrench up there to loosen them. I also can't figure out how to get the original plastic bumper off, I believe I have to remove those two long bolts, which are blocked by the Zender Valance....adf01fb0d7a1abaaeb6354dee45fdb27.jpgf485a3ff9e363cd500da2ad5c25260ac.jpg1e3b4c11df0ff38149d8a1e724c972c5.jpgef1a6f4353bf9a9f4d4cb9dbad903ced.jpgd7b35f7a3126dbfb109d94e649796f39.jpg7608005a82a2cfa8abcaca87b578a60a.jpg

Bumper is removed by removing the two large torx bolts on the bottom of the bumper, then by unclipping the side marker and turn signal wiring connectors.

The valence is attached to:
-the fender, just behind the side markers
-the fender, at the bottom left and bottom right corners of the grille
-2 screws above the bumper supports
-2 screws behind the fog lights

2 hours ago, snap said:

Bumper is removed by removing the two large torx bolts on the bottom of the bumper, then by unclipping the side marker and turn signal wiring connectors.

The valence is attached to:
-the fender, just behind the side markers
-the fender, at the bottom left and bottom right corners of the grille
-2 screws above the bumper supports
-2 screws behind the fog lights

So those two gigantic bolts in the 3rd/4th pics are the torx bits you speak of? I'm not sure how the heck I'm gonna get them out with the Zender in the way. I'll probably have to try to remove them with a pliers, I can push the valance back a little bit, but not enough to get get a torx bit in there to loosen them.

*** Got it off, bumper will be listed for sale as soon as I figure out what the heck to ask for it.  #TakingOffers

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, snap said:

Motivation

11 hours ago, snap said:

Motivation

I started putting together a list, with costs, of stuff I want to do to this car. Needless to say I shouldn't have done that in front of the girlfriend because now she thinks I'm insane..