WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Ecu rebuilding

Daggerty

Question

11 answers to this question

They can be rebuilt.  I'm certainly no techno wiz when it comes to computer boards but I know that boards can have pieces fail and they can be replaced.  Replacing the injector mosfets on n54 PCM's is a fairly common occurence instead of replacing the entire PCM.  I don't have any experience sending one in but I have done it myself with very positive results.

I can burn eproms if you have files. Outside of that all I can do is give it a good visual inspection under a microscope. 

What's the actual problem? If this is the one that had the power hooked up backwards there could be a lot of f'ed up stuff on there...

2 hours ago, HipMF said:

I can burn eproms if you have files. Outside of that all I can do is give it a good visual inspection under a microscope. 

What's the actual problem? If this is the one that had the power hooked up backwards there could be a lot of f'ed up stuff on there...

Can you pull the info off of them?

There is two 8 prong proms that are for the immobilizer. It won't let the throttle body operate.

3 hours ago, Daggerty said:

Can you pull the info off of them?

There is two 8 prong proms that are for the immobilizer. It won't let the throttle body operate.

8-pin would have to be a serial interface. I could do it, but it's harder to do than the old parallel eeproms. I would most likely have to remove the part from the board.

Let me know if you have some links or something describing what you're trying to do. A lot of times security-related stuff like immobilizers is more complicated that just copying eeproms. I've read a little about EWS, and it's a complicated system that's specifically designed to be difficult to circumvent. I doubt the Mercedes system is any easier. In the case of EWS, the solution is essentially a "firmware update" that has the EWS disabled. Basically, if the firmware is a 64k ROM file, it means that someone found the 1 byte out of 65,536 that changed EWS=1 to EWS=0.

The hack for the Merc system could be different, but I'd like to understand what you're trying to accomplish before I put any work into it...

Mercedes is the path less traveled when it comes to stuff like that, or if somebody figured it out they make you pay instead of sharing the information for the greater good. 

I am just going to buy a reman unit. There would be too much RnD.

With the warmer temps I want the car ready sooner than later.