WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New build! E90 M3

patsbimmer1

25 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Ohhh man. I want one so bad. They are really common all over Colorado. I never see them, but when I was there I saw one almost every 20mins. Its was epic!

Goodluck on your Flight. Cant see what you bring home!

Less road salt in CO helps.  They dissolve quickly.  I've had this one for 8 years, and put around 20k miles on it.  It's just over 200k.

It must be good if flying to bring something home.  I imagine focusing at work is tough today...

5 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Less road salt in CO helps.  They dissolve quickly.  I've had this one for 8 years, and put around 20k miles on it.  It's just over 200k.

It must be good if flying to bring something home.  I imagine focusing at work is tough today...

Focusing all week has been difficult!  It's been a roller coaster ride for sure!

5 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Ohhh man. I want one so bad. They are really common all over Colorado. I never see them, but when I was there I saw one almost every 20mins. Its was epic!

Goodluck on your Flight. Cant see what you bring home!

I can't wait to share this with everyone!

It's real!  It's a long story with a lot of ups and downs that i'll post later but it's real! Quick rundown

2011 e90 M3 dct Silverstone ii 64xxx miles

Only mod on it is a Borla exhaust.  I was able to acquire the maintenance history and it had been at the dealer as recently as 57k!  It was a really well maintained car and it shows!

I only have a couple cosmetic mods and the gts dct flash planned right away since it already has an exhaust.  This thing is a blast and unlike any car i've owned!  I've gotten a bit of attention driving it home already from people and I love it!

This week has been crazy for me at work and I haven't had a chance to update everyone on the full story of this car.  It's been a roller coaster but everything turned out alright in the end!

I've been looking for an M3 for a while and a few of you know that I've been obsessing about an M3 for roughly 6 - 9 months.  I have been telling myself that for my 30th birthday I wanted a real sports car.  I tossed around a 996 briefly but it just wasn't practical for me.  I've always loved Skylines and an r32 crossed my mind but again, not very practical.  I have loved the e90 chassis.  It's the perfect size for me, the perfect amount of tech and comfort and I love the looks.  I loved my 335i but I just wanted something different from a car.  I've always compromised on my vehicles because I have always needed a dual use vehicle due to whatever circumstance I was in.  I still need to make some compromise due to my current situation (toddler) but being able to share this car with him is more enjoyable than having no compromises. 

The ups and downs start with me deciding to start the search and then finding out my wife has MS.  We went through the diagnosis process for a few months and after a lot of waiting and a 2nd opinion it was confirmed that she has MS.  During this time there is no way I could continue to search for a car.  Once the diagnosis set in and "normalized" then I started searching again.  And then my basement walls started leaking... I feared the worst and brought in multiple people for estimates.  Once again as a responsible adult I can't justify an M3 when i'm fearing a $20k home repair.  After getting a few estimates the consensus was to add some drainage outside of the wall once the ground thaws.  Woohoo!  Disaster avoided!  So I started searching again.

I test drove a few cars and came up with what I wanted and didn't want in the car. The toughest part for me was deciding on the DCT.  I have owned a MT vehicle since I was 18 and thought I wanted a 6spd M3... until I drove the DCT.  Oh my god is it good!  The shifts are so fast, the rev matched downshifts put a smile on my face every time AND my wife would be able to drive it.  With that and a few other specific search parameters in place I started searching!  The car I ended up buying happened to be one of the first cars I inquired about.  After a week of discussion with the dealer and negotiation we couldn't come to an agreement on the price.  I walked away from the deal.  That was a Friday.  I found an Alpine White 2010 in Fond Du Lac, met Ben to show him my car at the dealer adn we took the M3 for a drive.  It was a mess to the say the least.  A mouse got into it and chewed up connectors, wires and a seat belt.  It had a shitty wrap on the dash trim and many other red flags.  I walked away from that car very discouraged and kept searching.  I was ready to expand my parameters because I was getting impatient.  Jordan helped keep me centered on the search and kept reminding me what I didn't want and why some cars were a bad idea.  It's probably thanks to him that I'm not driving a 150k mile jet black 08.

That Monday I got an email from the dealer in Atlanta asking if I was still in the market.  I said yes but only if they could meet me at my price.  I got an email back telling me the deal was on!  I was pumped!  I booked a flight, rearranged Easter plans and arranged a ride to O'hare.  I had to travel to Rice Lake and Chippewa Falls the next couple days after that.  That Wednesday I was leaving Rice Lake and got an email from the dealer apologizing to me.  A mistake had been made and the price went up $1000.  I was furious to say the least.  I sent a very strongly worded email to the sales guy and basically said they will meet me at my price or refund me my flight.  I wasn't expecting much but had already planned on calling the Dealer Principle if I didn't get the answer I wanted.  Again, I wasn't expecting much from this plan but one way or another I was going to be doing a lot of yelling at someone or multiple people.  The worst part is I had a 4 hour drive home to think about this.  Well about 2 1/2 hours after I go the original email I received an email from the Sales Manager apologizing for the situation and letting me know that they would keep their word!

The deal was on!  I didn't sleep for the rest of the week!  I went to my brother in laws house on Friday night, left at 5am Saturday morning, go to O'hare, had a Redbull confiscated and waited to board my flight.  Once boarded my flight was delayed... all of a sudden there were 2 cops and an undercover on the flight taking a guy off in handcuffs.  That was unsettling to say the least but there was some peace of mind knowing he was taken off the flight.  A quick 2 hour flight to Atlanta and I was that much closer!  The sales guy was supposed to pick me up at the airport.  Well... there are two airports in Atlanta.  This guy went to the wrong airport and couldn't figure out how to get to me even after I shared my location on google maps.  I ended up hopping on a shuttle to get to him.  That killed an hour of unscheduled time.  After a 20 minute drive we were at the dealer.  I looked over the car and it was exactly what I had expected except for a few rock chips in the hood but nothing major.  The dealer had no idea what kind of exhaust it had and I was very happily surprised to find a Borla exhaust.  I test drove it, came back and said I wanted it.  Well this happened to be a very busy day at the dealer so I ended up waiting an hour and a half for finance so I could finish up.  I had taken care of all of my finances prior to showing up so once I got in the office it was a matter of signing some paperwork and about 5 minutes later I was done.  I hopped in the car and started heading north at about 2:30 pm.

Traffic was shit in Georgia.  Traffic was shit in Tennessee.  Traffic was OK in Kentucky but it was raining.  I did stop in Nashville for some hot chicken at a place called Helen's but the chicken was going to take too long so I got catfish.  It was the best catfish I have ever had! I got to Illinois at 9:30pm and I had never been so happy to be in Illinois.  I told myself that Bloomington would be my check in point since I was familiar with it and I would only be about 2.5 hours away from home if I needed to sleep.  I hit Bloomington around 2:30am and I felt fine so I powered through!  Driving through Illinois I did find that the exhaust has a slight drone at 78 mph BUT at 76 mph it's fine.  Anyways, I kept driving and consuming Redbull and water.  I stopped every hour or so to get out and move around to keep myself awake.  At 5am on Sunday I pulled into my driveway.  I slept for 4 1/2 hours and woke up for my son's first Easter egg  hunt!

Since i've doomed Wisconsin to an eternal winter I've only had a couple chances to drive the car but I love it!  My son's first response was "dada, this is FANCY!  I like it!"  shortly followed by "Can we drive crazy?".  My wife's first response was "It's loud."  We took it to Easter and I let her drive it for a bit.  She had the chance to pass her mom's husband on the highway and with my prodding she put her foot down.  What proceeded was some giggling and a big smile!  She then said "It's loud!" but with much more enthusiasm this time.  I love the DCT but I love even more that my wife will drive the car!  Despite her propensity to buy boring cars she likes fast cars and to share this with her is great!  My son also told me today when I picked him up from daycare "dada, I like your M free!" so that's a win.

This won't be much of a build thread and more of a "look at the silly cosmetic things I bought" and "here are pictures of me driving my car" thread.  Just like the last car she will see track time thanks to a birthday present from my wife!