WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Newish M2 to MKE

mke_m2

Hey Guys/Gals,

My journey to ownership of a M2 was a long one.  I started my BMW journey in college with a 2010 135i m-sport (see attached photo).  I quickly fell in love.  However, shortly after graduation I sold it to buy the wife an engagement ring (priorities right?).  After 1.5 years without a car, i told the wife-to-be that as a wedding gift to myself I was going to get the M2.  I jumped on a waiting list at BMW Milwaukee North in February of 2016.  Fast forward 19 months and my 2018 M2 LCI had finally arrived two weeks after my return from my honeymoon in mid-September 2017.  

I drove the car through November, racking up only enough miles to meet the required break-in period, and into storage she went.  I have again been without a car for the last 4 month and irking to get back in the driver's seat.  Who else is looking forward to spring?!

Cheers!

Rob

f87-m2-lci_36972782920_o.jpg

f87-m2-lci_37227963101_o.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

12 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Wow! not one, but 2 M2's under your belt. How was the wait list experience? What suspension set ups have you been running? Looks lower than stock, correct me if I'm wrong.

The waitlist period was dreadful. Haha. Took so long but any earlier wouldn’t have worked for me either because of my wedding and honeymoon, so it worked out very well in the end. 

On my 135i i was running KW V3s. The m2 has KW HAS kit with 10mm macht schnell spacers all around. I’m raising the front slightly though because the shitty roads in MKE are not conducive to such a low car with a front lip. 

1 hour ago, mke_m2 said:

The waitlist period was dreadful. Haha. Took so long but any earlier wouldn’t have worked for me either because of my wedding and honeymoon, so it worked out very well in the end. 

On my 135i i was running KW V3s. The m2 has KW HAS kit with 10mm macht schnell spacers all around. I’m raising the front slightly though because the shitty roads in MKE are not conducive to such a low car with a front lip. 

That’s the reason I don’t mess with the ride height. 

The car looks good, welcome. 

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

*begin sage advise*

drive your car

what the f* is the point of having it if its in a garage all the time.

if you say resale value i'll punch you.

*end sage advise*

yes, sages punch people sometimes. its often the wisest thing to do.

Has nothing to do with any of that. Didn’t have the disposable income to buy a set of winter wheels and tires following my wedding, honeymoon, purchase of the car, and the aftermarket parts I installed upon delivery.  And at ~$3,000-$4,000 for wheels and winter tires, I may just buy a designated winter car.  

I drove my 135i in the winter and my 2008 mustang gt during high school during the winter with winter setup and no issues. I  just don’t know which route I plan on going.  And I don’t plan on selling the m2 for many years, if at all. 

@straight6pwr I agree with it being pointless to "preserve" a mass-production late model car from the elements - I would argue though that for most of us, we care a lot about these cars, and quite honestly in winter the odds just go up immensely in terms of being hit by other people on the road. I think it's needless risk to drive my M3 in winter, not to mention salted roads in the cold provide 0 grip for fun spirited driving anyway, and so you're basically just meandering around in your toy car burning mileage for no fun driving experience, and at risk from other people. I've been rear ended at a stop in rush hour on I-94 before in winter from people not paying attention and it being too slippery to stop in time, and I was really thankful that I was driving a beat out piece of shit Corolla and not my BMW. 

as for OP - no offense but it sounds like you want to be broke if you say you are short on money and you think you need 3-4k for a winter tire/wheel setup. You don't need to spend that much.

1 hour ago, i_love_cars said:

@straight6pwr I agree with it being pointless to "preserve" a mass-production late model car from the elements - I would argue though that for most of us, we care a lot about these cars, and quite honestly in winter the odds just go up immensely in terms of being hit by other people on the road. I think it's needless risk to drive my M3 in winter, not to mention salted roads in the cold provide 0 grip for fun spirited driving anyway, and so you're basically just meandering around in your toy car burning mileage for no fun driving experience, and at risk from other people. I've been rear ended at a stop in rush hour on I-94 before in winter from people not paying attention and it being too slippery to stop in time, and I was really thankful that I was driving a beat out piece of shit Corolla and not my BMW. 

as for OP - no offense but it sounds like you want to be broke if you say you are short on money and you think you need 3-4k for a winter tire/wheel setup. You don't need to spend that much.

I would likely get a set of apex ec-7 wheels, 18” which are about $1,500 then a set of blizzaks are about $1,200ish. So $2,700 without mounting approximately. Sorry for my over estimate. 

But then again, I may just get a second car for the winter. Haven’t decided yet. 

Nevertheless, I don’t have to worry about that for some time and can enjoy the upcoming nice months.

Does anyone know about upcoming meets in Milwaukee or Chicago? 

I would likely get a set of apex ec-7 wheels, 18” which are about $1,500 then a set of blizzaks are about $1,200ish. So $2,700 without mounting approximately. Sorry for my over estimate. 
But then again, I may just get a second car for the winter. Haven’t decided yet. 
Nevertheless, I don’t have to worry about that for some time and can enjoy the upcoming nice months.
Does anyone know about upcoming meets in Milwaukee or Chicago? 

c3ad68b8655e7c525f5266f650d60855.jpg

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/wto/d/winter-wheel-and-tire-set-up/6523263236.html