WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Let's see where the magic happens *garage photos*

Jdesign

2 hours ago, stealthbimmer said:

Do you have plans for that shelving/bench. Or could you snap some more pics of how its built.

I want to build something like that along my back wall.

Definitely! It was in the house when I moved in.

I do have some advice... don't use nails to build it.  The previous owner used nails on it and with some weight on the other side it collapsed.  I got it all put back together using screws and it's solid now.  

Definitely! It was in the house when I moved in.
I do have some advice... don't use nails to build it.  The previous owner used nails on it and with some weight on the other side it collapsed.  I got it all put back together using screws and it's solid now.  
I can't remember the last time I used nails for anything. I have to redo my deck this year because whoever built it was a dumbass and used nails.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, stealthbimmer said:

I can't remember the last time I used nails for anything. I have to redo my deck this year because whoever built it was a dumbass and used nails.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Yes. There was definitely a profanity laced tirade against the previous homeowner and his total ineptitude. 

Anyways, here are some pics.  I haven't reinforced this side yet, so excuse the nails. Hahaha 

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

On 3/2/2018 at 7:10 PM, snap said:

I dont understand the slicktop circlejerk unless you are a behemoth like myself and need the headroom

Conversely, I don't understand the sunroof circlejerk. I've had cars with them, but don't find them useful or desirable. Why would I want the extra weight, complexity and leak potential if I could be perfectly happy without it?

Being forced to have things I don't want in a car (size, weight, gadgets) is a bigger problem for me than not having things that I do want. This makes a slicktop a glimmer of hope and sanity in a world that is both hopeless and insane. Please don't take that from me...

Conversely, I don't understand the sunroof circlejerk. I've had cars with them, but don't find them useful or desirable. Why would I want the extra weight, complexity and leak potential if I could be perfectly happy without it?
Being forced to have things I don't want in a car (size, weight, gadgets) is a bigger problem for me than not having things that I do want. This makes a slicktop a glimmer of hope and sanity in a world that is both hopeless and insane. Please don't take that from me...
Pay 300-700$ for something you will never use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, HipMF said:

This, I never open sunroofs on any car.  I just don't like the sun shining on my head.  And weight, especially up high, is never good.  i've taken an e36 sunroof assembly out and it isn't light nor easy.

32 minutes ago, HipMF said:

A slicktop S52 swapped E30 with an Mtech steering wheel would probably fetch $70k on BaT all day. 

Its nice to have options, but the community seems to be trying to market the slicktop cars as something that should be paid extra for. I guess if that is meaningful to you then its worth paying extra for but im getting a bit crusty at how insane the stance tax is getting on E30 stuff and all I can do about it is not buy it and complain about it on here. im crying as im typing this because I just saw an Mtech steering wheel for sale for $799 not including shipping. 

The prices of rarer things, and even some not so rare things, are getting insane. I wonder if people are actually paying these crazy amounts for things like startecs and anything with the word mtech associated with it.

Both of my E30's are slicktops, but the only value I could see it adding would be for a tall person wanting to wear a helmet and still have a headliner (aka me, but I didn't seek them out, it just ended up that way). Beyond that, if you're building a track car and want to save weight just take it out. Personally, I really like having a sunroof and use the one in the E36 almost as much as I use the doors (with the tilt function at least). 

I love sunroofs in nice weather!  Now, as far as the weight savings... the difference in weight on the e92 m3 carbon fiber roof vs. sunroof is 45lbs.  45lbs isn't light but it's certainly not enough that anyone will notice a difference in handling.  That's only one example but it's similar across the board.  The ONLY benefit that I can see for a non sunroof car is more room for my fat head with a helmet.