WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Recommend me some good HIDs

B C

Question

I used to run VVME HID kits, they were cheap and seemed to be better than the DDM Tuning stuff from the grief I read about online. It is about 6 years later and there is probably something even better out there for a decent price.  One of my ballasts went dead and I pawned off my spares for some swap parts last year.

I was looking at the Morimoto HID kits for $180, but i'd like to keep it under $100.  Primarily looking for a reliable 35W 5000K 9006 low beam only setup.

Any recommendations, sites to check, or experiences?

Image result for 15000K HID

9 answers to this question

i've had morimoto ballasts die,  I've had ddm tuning ballasts die, and I've had ebay ballasts die. considering in all cases only one part of the system died in 5+ years, i'd consider every option 'reliable.' YMMV. 

i don't know if you want the peanut gallery to speak about bulb color, but anything above 4500k is pointless.  4300k/4500k are brightest, and yellower light is easier for your eyes to see at night - thats the point, right?

I had run 55w DDM stuff in my e30's for awhile and they were okay, less the occasional failures.
I bought a set of TRS (the retrofit source) HID kits for my E46 when the stock ballast died, and holy crap is their stuff light years better than the DDM kits. The 35w TRS kit seemed to be far brighter than the 55w DDM kits, and the warranty that backs up the TRS stuff is good. I don't think I would go back to a cheap setup again.