WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Differential rebuilding service

I've been thinking I could rebuild differentials, maybe help out some Wibimmer people. I've only done med case differentials but I'm sure I could figure out small and large cases also.

Pricing only for medium case 188 differentials. If you have a VLSD from an ix I can also rebuild the viscous coupling.

Standard, $300: new bearings, shaft seals, o-rings, speed sensor, crush bushing, cover gasket, verify and set gear lash and contact pattern, and a new paint job (black two part epoxy, unless you want something else). With this one I'm not going to open the pumpkin and inspect the clutch packs. 

Standard plus, $450: this is everything from above plus all new dust covers, brackets, securing plate, drain plugs, speed sensor hardware, it'll look brand spanking new. Including the stupid expensive securing plate for the speed sensor 62161365817 the thing is like $80 :0

Option 1, $25+cost: Clean and inspect internals, replace clutch packs and dog ears. The clutch disks and dog ears are about $100+shipping from thayermotorsports.com (bimmerdiffs) but if you want me to use something else just let me know or order them yourself and send them to me. There are several options for the number of clutch packs, stock is two packs but you can get three in there without modification. I can also machine the housing for a fourth clutch pack +$50. I can machine custom ramp angles, just let me know what angles you want +$TBD.

Option 2, $100: Change gear ratios, you provide the desired new ring and pinion. This is a little tedious because I will likely have to make a new pinion and carrier shims. The bolts are torque to yield, they will be replaced with new.

Option 3, $20+cost: press in a new differential bushing into the cover, you provide bushing or tell me which one to order.

This is all assuming your diff is in decent shape to start with and hasn't been run dry of oil or sat at the bottom of a lake for 10 years. If I find damage I'll send you pictures and we can work out how you would like to proceed. If the diff is beyond repair and you don't want me to proceed I'll keep $40 for my time and oil disposal and refund you the rest. We should be fine as long as there isn't any crazy gear wear.

Thanks,

Ray

Edited by TehRaydarlover

I would be very interested! I have a medium case 3.15 LSD that got damaged in shipping (dropped on the pinion I think, tons of pinion play) that needs to be rebuilt. I was thinking pretty much the 'standard' option you listed, new bearings/seals and a coat of paint.

I was planning to teach myself to rebuild diffs as I would really like to learn and I need this diff fixed to finish my swap, but I would feel a lot better about having it rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing. 

6 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

I think that pricing looks great, I'd be interested in a medium case 'standard' rebuild in the next month or two. 

Out of curiosity, on the standard rebuild, would you check the pinion and carrier bearing preload? 

Sounds good, let me know when you're ready. Absolutely, I set the rolling torque for the pinion and the carrier bearings.

• 2 weeks later...