WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BMW re-taking worlds longest drift record

m42b32

It's kind of a silly record but this is pretty cool! BMW set the record for the worlds longest drift a few years ago in an M5, but then Toyota beat it twice. Looks like BMW is planning to take it back

The actual record video isn't out yet but should be soon. Apparently they spent 8 hours doing it, so it'll be interesting to see just how far they went!

15 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

///arketing*

What I don't get about this record, is why spend all that time making an apparatus to refuel instead of just making a bigger tank and a more efficient vehicle?

I think tandem-drift-refueling probably multiplies the interest/internet buzz on the video way beyond just sliding around on a skid pad for 8 hours. I'd say it's a pretty smart marketing move. Apparently Toyota just fitted a bigger tank when they did their most recent record and I hadn't even heard of them doing it. 

51 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

Awesome.

Maybe this was to deter any skepticism about the new M5 being AWD.

Skepticism about it actually being AWD, or skepticism about how well the "M sport, RWD only" mode works?  I thought it was a for sure thing   AWD and automatic only, but with a RWD setting like the Focus RS "drift mode"

That makes sense.

It is bullheaded to expect an E-segment car built in 2018 to be any bit of a pure driving machine. The GT-R doesn't pretend to be, and it isnt, but the AWD/Auto (dual clutch) combo are pretty unbeatable for the face smashing acceleration. 

But this doesnt mean we still cant mourn the death of the "mechanical" M5

Fascinating, and the refueling was pretty cool.

A more basic question: mileage and drifting aside is there another Guinness record for a single driver continuously going around in a circle for eight hours? I'm assuming that since there was no driver change, it was long time to be in a car without a truckers friend /Stadium Pal / backseat full of assorted trucker bombs.