WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Window Tint

Rekpoint

Curious who is running window tint and what % you are running. 

Wisconsins Tint Law :

Windshield – Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer’s AS-1 line.

Front Side Windows – Must allow more than 50% of light in.

Back Side Windows – Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Rear Window – Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Has anyone tried to get a doctors exemption saying you have "Bad Eyes" so you can get a darker tint?

Going to be getting tint for my E36 this winter so any advice will help.

All my previous cars had 20% all around. Never had a problem (Ive been pulled over many times in my younger days). My current truck has 35% all around (factory in rear, fronts aftermarket). I just got pulled over last week, didnt say a word. If you ever drive your car at night, dont go with 20%...its a pain trying to see out when backing up. With my truck, while it is still more difficult than clear windows, it is much easier than with my previous cars. 

^ This.  An older guy at work has an otherwise stock G8 and got nailed almost immediately for tint, the car came from Florida so it was dark.  He is around 60 years old and I thought he would have no trouble because he isn't out fooling around.  Nope, state trooper got him in the first week, pulled him over JUST for the tint.  But in my other e36 I drove for 50k miles in Wisconsin with no front plate and never got pulled over once.

^ This.  An older guy at work has an otherwise stock G8 and got nailed almost immediately for tint, the car came from Florida so it was dark.  He is around 60 years old and I thought he would have no trouble because he isn't out fooling around.  Nope, state trooper got him in the first week, pulled him over JUST for the tint.  But in my other e36 I drove for 50k miles in Wisconsin with no front plate and never got pulled over once.

In Wisconsin you can get out of a no front plate ticket, if you can prove that the car came factory without plate mounting holes. So on an E36 m3 bumper it's the BMW trim.

But I plan on just going 35% all around and not risk it. I'd would be another thing if I had a black car, I'd go darker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just now, Rekpoint said:

In Wisconsin you can get out of a no front plate ticket, if you can prove that the car came factory without plate mounting holes. So on an E36 m3 bumper it's the BMW trim.

This is wrong. Unless it's a collector or hobbyist vehicle.

I've been pulled over twice and ticketed for my tint. Not sure the percentage, but I haven't removed it. Just paid the tickets and moved on.

32372760741_a04169535d_c.jpg

Is there an advantage to tint beyond the looks? I bought my e36 and it had fairly dark tint on all the windows and a strip along the top of the windshield. It felt like I was in a cave and I couldn't see anything at night. It took an entire day with a fabric steamer and ammonia to remove it all but it was worth it.

As far as tint legality, I was with a friend in downtown Milwaukee and he got pulled over at night on water street for solely his tint (20% all around, strip at the top of the windshield). He only got a warning, but it was a bit ridiculous. 

30 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Is there an advantage to tint beyond the looks?

Most people do it for looks over anything else. There are other advantages. 

Keeps interior cooler to some extent

Makes it harder for people to see whats inside.

Obviously, makes it darker inside....which is nice for during the day, obviously a bit of a nuisance at night. I like being able to drive without my sunglasses on and not be blinded when the sun is to the side of the vehicle. I wear glasses, and have yet to find a decent, reasonably priced, pair of prescription sunglasses that fit my huge head. So, the tint helps. 

Just my .02, your mileage may vary. I do think really dark tint is stupid, and just asking for trouble. 

I think your location has a lot to do with the amount of hassle you will get. 

Even if the vehicle came from a state without front plates, there is always hardware available from the manufacturer to install one so good luck getting away with that.  For some cars it is pretty cheesy though, like my Volvo it is simply a metal bracket screwed through the plastic bumper with self tapping style screws.

However it is less visually noticeable if you have the "no front plate" trim on the front.  I had that on my other e36.  My current one looks like a crap so I screwed the plate right to the bumper with white gutter screws.

I don't know what my windows tint % is, I would guess 35-50% and it really keeps the car cooler on a sunny day.  Helpful with no A/C.

9 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

This is very wrong.

7 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Is there an advantage to tint beyond the looks?

I find it to be a lot more comfortable to have tint.  I liken it to driving with sunglasses and without.  I notice a big difference between driving my personal car with tint and my company car without tint

12 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

I guess I am wrong about the mounting holes. But I will also say that I got my info from a State Trooper. Good to know they know the laws I guess...

The State Trooper did not know the law which doesn't surprise me.  Not that that's a knock on officers but they're job doesn't necessarily dictate that they need to know each and every law but they have an understanding of right/wrong and illegal/legal.  They make the judgement call on the street then the lawyers and judges battle it out to determine law.

License plate.JPG

• 1 month later...

I have about 10% in my civic and I haven't got pulled over for it yet. I always assume that's what they are pulling me over for but its usually something else. They have brought it to my attention but never cited me. I ALWAYS (even if its freezing outside) roll all of my windows down, turn on my dome light, and have my ID ready with both of my hands on the wheel when I get pulled over. If you make the officer comfortable and the situation obvious that your not smuggling elves or large bags of flour, the better off you are and the less chance of them ticketing you. I have been pulled over wayyy to many times and almost always just get a warning. 

10% - too much and you cant see out of your side mirrors at night

20%- better but still really dark

35%-50% This is what I would go with if I was going to tint a car. I had a lexus with 35% and loved it. wasnt too dark, wasnt too light. 

^ good idea dropping all the windows.

I think the main issue with transporting large bags of flour is the gluten intolerance that is popping up all over these days. They have to keep a tight lid on all wheat products

If the cops ever give you grief for the windows being "too dark" pull the race card and always have Jackie Chiles on speed dial to represent you in a court of law

jackie-chiles-lawyer.jpg