WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Tuning m52 turbo advice

AsparagusMike

So later this week I'm gonna help a buddy out on looking at a car that he is interested in possibly buying. The car is a 2000 bmw 328i with a turbo setup. The motor has been swapped out, due to it being blown, for a m52tub28. He's also converted the entire motor over to obd1 including the ecu (413 dme) which has a ostrich 2.0 emulator plugged into it. So far all he has the car tuned for is e85, other than that it has not really been messed with (the guy has no experience with tuning). I have no idea why he is selling it other than he owns a hot rod shop and just doesn't have the time. He said that the car runs strong up tell about 3500 rpm and then starts cutting out like its losing fuel. My buddy has been wanting a project car like this for some time now and thought this would be a fun one but has no experience with the tuning part of it and neither do I, besides plugging a chip into a ecu...if that counts. I'm really just looking for a few pointers on how I could help him if he does end up buying it. I have always been decent at the wrenching side of things but when it came to the programing and tuning, not so much. So far I have been told that the ostrich emulator has kind of limited capabilities and is really weird plugged into a 413. I'm also slightly familiar with what TunerproRT is and understand that if I were to start from scratch I would need to find a xdf file to build off of. I read about the miller w.a.r chip and mega squirt being good alternative options as well for turbo m52's but curious how that will get along with the dual vanos.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thx!

https://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-bmw-328i-turbo/6435139190.html

I was told this used to be Andy Hundley's car I guess who is also a WI bimmer member if I'm not mistaken.

An M52TU on obd1 sounds stupid from the get-go since once the Double VANOS is disabled (OBD1 doesnt play those games) the tune is already compromised and there is no live tuning with a 413 dme. If I were to look at it I would do so with a compression tester and an intention to run it on megasquirt 3.

I sold the car to my neighbor over a year ago. In his possession, the radiator popped and he drove it with the temp gauge pegged in the red until it shut off. I got the car back and sold it for parts to some guy from the Fon du lac Area? I heard he swapped the motor and turbo'd it (Rowley might have done it?) but dont have any info on that part. Car drove nice when i had it pre motor meltdown. I added a Turner Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement kit that isnt listed in the ad. Sorry i cant be more help.