WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Car parts for Christmas

B C

A family member or significant other asks you what you want for Christmas. What you REALLY want is car parts but you are hesitant or reluctant to say so. 

When I was 16, I asked for car parts for Christmas and my mom said she would never buy any car-related gifts for anyone because anytime she did they either sold the car or crashed it.

I dont ask my wife for car parts because A: I dont want her to realize how much some car parts cost.  B: The less it appears I have a car obsession, the better things are.

There is another problem with asking for car parts for Christmas: The giver doesn't have a clue what they are buying for you or why it makes you happy. 

Example:

Someone that doesn't hate you or feels an obligation to give you a gift: "What would you like for Christmas?"

You: "I want an intake for my BMW!!!"  

Someone that doesn't hate you or feels an obligation to give you a gift: (why does this plastic tube thing cost $250)

Do you ask for car parts? 
Do you feel a little weird asking for car parts?

brb , going to try and think of some gift ideas that aren't car related. 

Image result for car parts christmas

I've given up.  I tell my wife that I want an ECS gift card so I can buy parts myself.  It's to the point where a few of our family members are frustrated every year because what I want is "boring".  I continue to tell my wife that if she doesn't want to give me what I want then stop asking and get me whatever she wants or tell people to get me whatever they feel like.  My whole Christmas list (yes I still make a list, not by choice) consists of ECS gift card, Blackhawk Farms Raceway gift card and various tools or car related clothes.  I liken it to any other hobby.  You might not "get it" but if someone wants another My Little Pony for their collection then damn it, you buy that grown man the My Little Pony they want!

I will say, my dad is not really a "car guy".  He's owned F150's my whole life because it was practical for him and his work.  He likes cars but never had the means to afford a fun car.  A few years back he had a 2006 F150 XLT with the 5.4l that he had purchased new.  It was the nicest truck he had ever owned!  Anyways, it was Christmas time maybe 2009ish.  He was still trying to get his painting business off the ground, my parents had been divorced for a couple years but they just sold the house, him and I were living in a tiny, run down house and we were both broke.  He was kinda down and kept telling me he didn't need anything for Christmas.  When Christmas came he gave me a PS3 with a $100 Best Buy gift card that came with it.  I was thrilled!  He used some of his share of the house sale to buy it for me!  When I handed him a card he was appreciative of the thought then he opened it... a piece of paper fell out... he unfolded it and it was a picture of a K&N CAI.  He looked confused and looked up at me and that's when I told him that I had ordered the intake for him and I'd install it but it was on back order at the moment so I didn't have it to wrap for him.  His eyes lit up like I hadn't seen in a long time and he gave me a big hug!  I installed it when it came and he was like a little kid!  He told all of his friends about the CAI and how it really brought that engine to life and the noises it made.  To this day he still tells people about that.  Easily the best Christmas gift he's ever received.

Touching story @patsbimmer1  I enjoyed it.

I have personally resulted into just asking for gift cards. I have tried to get car parts and tools, even supplying links to purchase my requests, but somehow I always end up with something I didn't asked for. No, a 3/8ths ratchet is not the same as a 3/8ths wrench.

This is why our secret santa rules, it may seem like a small gift, but we all understand what if feels like to get something related to our hobby..    

10 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Touching story @patsbimmer1  I enjoyed it.

I have personally resulted into just asking for gift cards. I have tried to get car parts and tools, even supplying links to purchase my requests, but somehow I always end up with something I didn't asked for. No, a 3/8ths ratchet is not the same as a 3/8ths wrench.

This is why our secret santa rules, it may seem like a small gift, but we all understand what if feels like to get something related to our hobby..    

I feel ya!  Same thing has happened to me and you try and act gracious then you never use whatever you were given.  I've sent links to people and i've either been told they don't want to get it for me because now i'll KNOW what i'm getting or they're still confused.  I've gone as far as sending the phone number of a company to someone with a name of a representative to talk to who KNOWS what they're talking about.  Nope, too much work.

I don't mind sending links, but it does take the fun out of getting (and giving) gifts. Sending links is pretty much the same as a gift card or getting money, its not as exciting/thoughtful but you do get exactly what you want in the end. 

I don't really ask for car parts since it can be a minefield. That, and people who aren't into cars don't want to get someone things like motor mounts or a wheel bearing for Christmas. I stick with tools/etc