WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Floor jack recomendations?

HipMF

Question

I have a good size, steel harbor freight floor jack. It works, but isn't low car friendly, and even more annoyingly, the difference between a stationary load and a load accelerating downward at 9.8 m/s² is about 1 or 2 sticky degrees of handle rotation. I was at Sears today picking up some replacement sockets for ones that I've broken, modified or lost. Saw they have a 2½ ton low-profile model on sale for a pretty modest price. Before I pulled the trigger, I decided I'd check and see if anyone had any recommendations, positive or negative experiences with particular brands or models.

Despite being exceptionally mediocre in the performance category, my current floor jack been dead reliable. Hence, I've felt that I'm stuck with it. It's hard to justify replacing something that "works just fine". Looking for something that hits both those targets so that I don't spend another 15 years feeling like I'm stuck with a jack that doesn't work well or fit my needs.

15 answers to this question

I have a low profile 4 Ton jack from tractor supply it was great until the swivel joint to raid and lower broke. I did however weld a craftsman swivel socket in to replace that part and works great again.

I have a craftsman jack that is about 35 years old and still going,I keep it around just in case I need it. Not sure how the quality of craftsman is any more seeing as every time I use there tool one of them breaks.

The Napa auto parts by me has some really nice jacks also. If I ever have an issue with mine again I will be getting one from there. The quality seems great compared to everything else.

I've got the 3 ton steel low profile steel jack from HF and it has worked really well for me for about 5 years but it can't slide it under the front of my without pulling up on a 2x4.  I can fit it under the jack pads under the sills and under the pumpkin on the rear but not under the lift point under the front of my car.  I also couldn't fit it under the front of a stock Cooper S but works fine under the jack pads on the side.  I have used the aluminum race jack and those do work really well and are low car friendly like others have said.

Looks like HF is the way to go.

I wonder if the long-reach model would be worth a try... Loos like it's bigger and heavier, but also should reach farther under a low car and also goes about 4" higher than the regular low profile jack.

https://m.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profilelong-reach-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60678.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot provided

9 hours ago, HipMF said:

I wonder if the long-reach model would be worth a try... Loos like it's bigger and heavier, but also should reach farther under a low car and also goes about 4" higher than the regular low profile jack.

https://m.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profilelong-reach-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60678.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot provided

I know a few people that have these, and the foot lever is pretty neat for lifting, but the biggest downfall is that the release is a fairly small diameter knob at the end of the T handle, and it apparently can be a bit tricky to control (aka dropping really fast to start).
That may not be true of all of them, but just a heads up.

I know a few people that have these, and the foot lever is pretty neat for lifting, but the biggest downfall is that the release is a fairly small diameter knob at the end of the T handle, and it apparently can be a bit tricky to control (aka dropping really fast to start).

That may not be true of all of them, but just a heads up.

That’s the one I have

The foot pump is only useful to quickly get the jack to the lifting point on the car, which is ironic because usually we use these on lowered cars, soooo.

It’s useless for actually lifting any weight (I don’t think anyone was under the assumption you could lift your car via the foot portion anyhow)

The knob at the top can be a real SOB if you hulk mode tighten it. I’ve found that just barely snugging it works well & doesn’t act like a 40year old jar of pickles when you go to loosen it

I have (2) two HF jacks that are steel and (1) one that is aluminum.

Steel Jack A- older HF model from circa 2009ish. Work well but had to replace the fluid about a year ago as it was starting to get really sticky. Cleaned it up and serviced the whole thing at that time but now its starting to loosing lifting power. one full push gives you about 3" vs. the 6" it use to. 

Steel Jack B- newer HF model. Circa 2015ish? Works fine with no issues. Now has two handle pistion lifts vs. one like the old model. no issues yet.

Aluminum HF jack- newer HF model as well, about 2014ish? Works fine but is super creaky without lubing it often. Rolling it on cement sucks. 

I will NEVER buy another Horror Freight jack EVER again. I jacked up the passenger front corner, had the jack stand at the ready to place under seam and was momentarily distracted by a wild phone call (probably some hot tail at the time) when I hung up and went to finish putting the stand in the proper place the BRAND NEW jack had drifted down under the weight of my 5'er and put a very LARGE crunch into the lower door sill :( into my pristine rust free California fresh door sill!

I pitched that jack, bought an AC hydraulics jack, made in the Netherlands!, and never looked back. It was expensive, actually very expensive, BUT three lessons learned that day; never trust a big butt and a smile, always have your mind and eyes on your work AT ALL TIMES and invest in quality tools (unless in a pinch, then the left handed cable stretcher will do)