WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I have the Beauty, so here's the Beast

Earl

1996 Base Model 318ti

Not quite sure on the mileage as the cluster reads 147k but the last oil change was done at Kummrow at 151k...lul

Gutting the car of parts anyone else can use that wont keep it from running and driving. I'll hold onto the chassis until my nice compact is done and then this thing will be getting a hydro, nice coilovers, and angle mods. It'll probably get a hideous livery, random canards, and stupid strobing lights too. Onto the pictures 

20171020_143430_zpsksecq1um.jpg

20171020_143438_zpspgonbtaq.jpg

20171020_143421_zpsn3oxxlge.jpg

The real ugly lol

20171020_143455_zpsvsxnzmzd.jpg

And some clear MHW's because I have them lol

20171020_144610_zpsqp56y5n4.jpg

Not too bad at all especially for the price. Was the 1996 as the last year for the M42 in the ti (?), if so an approx 150k m42. Timing chain work unlikely but that would be a nice plus if it was done. Floor board is nasty but isn't totally rusted through since no grass or concrete visible, and the rear quarter rot looks normal/minimal. Slicktop (?) so less weight for track toy.  Nice pickup!

It's an m44. I don't think the e36 variant of the m42 or the m44 need chains done because I've never seen anyone do it. The engine will stay until I blow it up. An m52 will go in after. The gas pedal is rusted off of the floor and where the pan meets the side, it has a hole. It is unfortunately a sunroof car but that is coming out as soon as I make a delete panel (probably wont be for a while).

Timing chains themselves aren't a problem, but the guides definitely get worn down pretty badly with high miles/poor maintenance. I know they revised the timing case for the M44, but I think it was likely for NVH reasons more than anything else.

Regardless, nice buy. Those tails look weird, but they should fit the car well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So this needs a hair of updating. 

Just recently I purchased a set of BC's through Pat. I also purchased a full set of Condor bushings, Garagistic clutch and brake pedal bushings, modded knuckles, Rennstall Type 1 shift knob, Chasebays Handbrake, and SRS Concepts dual caliper brackets a while back with the insurance money from the Del Sol. 

Since the Beauty needs to go back to paint after I finally finish the undercoat, I definitely won't have it ready for Euro District. The plan is to now work on this during the week over the next 60 days so that it can potentially be ready to make the trip. Other than patching the floors it should be a pretty quick process.