WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Louder horn recommendations

m42b32

Question

So this morning while driving my e30 to work I had an encounter with an idiot in an Altima who decided it was a good idea to not look or signal at all, swing aggressively across 3 lanes, attempt to occupy the same spot that I was currently occupying, and run me completely onto the median. Luckily for me, there was no curb or obstacles in the median and I was able to straddle a monster pot hole instead of running into it. The idiot behind the wheel clearly did not hear my stock horn as he came flying into into my lane, so I am now adding "loudest horn I can find" to my project list this winter....

I don't want the complication of an air/train horn, so I was looking at the Hella sharptones or something along those lines. I was under the impression that these aren't as high pitched as the supertones but aren't far off as far as sound levels. Anyone have any experience with these or have any recommendations/other options? Are these options actually any louder than the OEM horns?

Hella catalog for reference: http://www.hella.com/hella-sg/assets/media/Hella_Horns_Brochure_LoRes.pdf

Supertones: 118dB

Sharptones: 115dB

4 answers to this question

18 hours ago, Boris3 said:

I had a pair of FIAMM freeway blasters (130db each, one low note, one high) on the Miata, and it turns out the PO put the same in the 318is. They've come in handy more than a few times when SUV drivers decided to try merging into the space I was occupying.

Hadn't heard of these before, sounds like a good option. 130dB would definitely fit what I'm looking for, I'll have to see if I can find out how that compares to the Hella horns since they don't list how far away the measurements were taken.