WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Suspenceful's New Daily Driver - Build Thread!?

suspenceful

UPDATE: I sold this car shortly after buying it and replaced it with a different 335i.

I'll continue to update this thread with my new car, which starts this post from October 9:
http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index.php?/topic/5020-suspencefuls-new-daily-driver-build-thread/#comment-84115

B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)

--------------------------------

Well, I finally struck gold. After driving a combined 15 hours looking at 4 different cars, I found one right across town.

I knew I was being picky with my budget and required options, but I'm glad I held out. As funny as it is, this might be the nicest car I've ever owned.

Meet my new 2007 335i. I bought it from the original owner. No accidents, came with both keys and all maintenance records since new. It's never seen winter, so it's 100% rust free. Only has 83k miles and has just about every option you could get for the year. Not only that, but I think I got an absolute steal on it!

• Sport Package
    • Bolstered sport seats
    • 18" sport wheels
    • Higher speed limiter
  • Cold Weather Package
    • Heated seats
    • Heated mirrors and keylocks
    • Headlight washers
    • Folding rear seats
  • Premium Package
    • Universal garage-door opener
    • Auto-dimming exterior mirrors
    • Auto-dimming rearview mirror
    • Lumbar seat support
    • Digital compass on rearviewmirror
    • BMW Assist voice command
    • Bluetooth
  • Lighting Package
  • Comfort Access keyless entry and start
  • iDrive with Navigation
  • Satellite radio
  • Logic7 sound system
  • Sunroof

It's also the first automatic BMW I've had out of the 8 I've owned. Feels good to be back behind the wheel of something boosted again. I'm so at home with these N54s, it's gonna be hard not to tune it. I'll probably do the typical tint, drop, wheels... but we'll see. I couldn't help but share, stay tuned!

37069803462_b94748ca34_c.jpg

37051510376_59553d7c1e_c.jpg

On 9/15/2017 at 6:56 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

Get the trans flash asap!  It's night and day between the two!

Is this something you can help me with? The auto life is new to me, and I'm only familiar with tuning via JB4/MHD or coding via Carly app.

On 9/15/2017 at 8:35 PM, Snap said:

Trans flash is a must, congrats on a great score! Plus, in a pinch you have a parts car for your daily or a parts car for your 135 depending on how you look at it

Exactly! This was part of the reason I didn't mind purchasing another N54 car. The 135i is holed up in the garage for a while, I could definitely steal some parts from it right now...

On 9/16/2017 at 9:22 AM, YoungCR said:

congrats! Car looks like new. The keyless entry and start is the best option imo, never liked clicking in those keys haha.

Thanks! I also love comfort access. During my search I found that not many E9X cars have this option. After getting used to it on my 135i, I really wanted my daily to have it as well.

8 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

Is this something you can help me with? The auto life is new to me, and I'm only familiar with tuning via JB4/MHD or coding via Carly app.

All it is is a flash similar to the TCU.  I don't have the alpina tune to flash nor do I have the ability to flash through Winkpf BUT I know that Bob was doing this flash if you can get a hold of him or there are plenty of guys that offer remote coding that could do it for you.  E90post and n54tech have tons of people offering to flash it remotely.  I've driven auto's with and without it and it's night and day.  You won't want to go back!

8 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

All it is is a flash similar to the TCU.  I don't have the alpina tune to flash nor do I have the ability to flash through Winkpf BUT I know that Bob was doing this flash if you can get a hold of him or there are plenty of guys that offer remote coding that could do it for you.  E90post and n54tech have tons of people offering to flash it remotely.  I've driven auto's with and without it and it's night and day.  You won't want to go back!

Good to know, I'll post a thread on those forums and reach out to Bob. I've also read that it's an amazing difference.

great choice! where do you get your LEDs from? I have used SuperBrightLEDs.com in the past. I'm guessing the heat sinks are for the fogs. I installed some without heat sinks and they are about as bright as the crappy stock halogens but the light is scattered all over the place. I see the tops of the trees in my neighborhood get darker when I turn my fogs off.

I guess the trees are foggy.

30 minutes ago, Snap said:

great choice! where do you get your LEDs from? I have used SuperBrightLEDs.com in the past. I'm guessing the heat sinks are for the fogs. I installed some without heat sinks and they are about as bright as the crappy stock halogens but the light is scattered all over the place. I see the tops of the trees in my neighborhood get darker when I turn my fogs off.

I guess the trees are foggy.

Lol! I got everything from eBay, total cost was about $85 and half of that was for the angel eyes. The heat sink LEDs in the box are the angel eyes, fogs are on the left. I didn't even install the resistor boxes because they get really hot. They're supposed to eliminate the LED bulb error, but I just coded it out myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I suck and ended up selling this for $4k more than I paid.

Afterwards, I went down to Chicago and picked up this 335i with 130k miles. It has cold weather package, premium package and lighting package, along with a better color combo in my opinion. A few nice options like Logic7/HiFi, electric memory lumbar seats, sunroof, sport steering wheel and suspension, etc. The exterior is in mint condition, minus the passenger-side headlight that needs some attention. It's honestly in excellent condition for a 2007 vehicle.

37596647711_061873d628_c.jpg

37547620696_58980f7f0a_c.jpg

37547621576_e5d80def5b_c.jpg

3 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I wouldn't call a 4k profit sucking haha. New new car looks great!

True, but I had no intentions of selling it. Was super clean, low mileage and fully loaded. Oh well!

2 hours ago, Earl said:

I'm assuming you did it to free up some cash? 

Something like that. I can put the difference towards a new motor for my 135i :)

1 hour ago, Snap said:

Next time get a 335i

Funny thing is, I probably will.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to keep updating this thread... with my new car (and whatever revolving dailies I continue to buy).

So far I've done quite a few things to this thing actually.

• New (used) passenger headlight because the old one was fogged up on the inside and the adaptive function wouldn't work, throwing an error code.
  • New serpentine belt, tensioner, and power steering pulley. Luckily, I was able to steal parts from my 135i and the used motor I recently bought. These early model E9X cars had issues with the power steering pulley smacking the subframe, obviously breaking the plastic pulley and chewing up the belt. This happened to me. The proper fix is to get new motor mounts and a revised subframe, but I'm not biting that bullet yet. So far, so good... knock on wood.
  • Gave it a proper oil change and found a BMW oil filter in there... so that's good news. A lot of people start to get cheap with these cars and they don't like FRAM filters.
  • Installed LED lights inside and out... angel eyes, fog lights and rear license plate lights included.
  • Removed the nasty sticker on the trunk.
  • Ordered and installed Solowerks coilovers. Upon removal of my OEM 130k suspension, it was noticeably all blown and leaking. Glad I swapped this stuff in, it seems of great quality. It's not stainless, but I coated the threads with some anti-corrosive stuff.
  • Ordered some Alzor wheels from ECSTuning for a ridiculously low price. The stock wheels being in horrible shape was a good enough excuse for me. I bought some Nangkang tires for them after having a good experience with them on my previous E90.

Before dropping it:

37162013083_9734a77f51_c.jpg

After dropping it:

37161273893_6774390cf3_c.jpg

37171350504_957f5b2814_c.jpg

37881469411_248733a788_c.jpg

Stay tuned for pictures after I get the Alzor wheels mounted. Probably gonna drop the front another 3/4" as well.

26 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

This I like. Did you and @GunMetalGrey do a group buy and get the same wheels and suspension? 

Lol, he tipped me off to them. The Alzors were too cheap to pass up. I had planned on lowering this car because it needed suspension, but these Solowerks were also fairly priced for the good reviews. I was going to go with some FKs or STs, but wanted to give these a shot at $575 shipped.

37172364654_2fc7fdaab2_c.jpg

8 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

Lol, he tipped me off them both. The Alzors were too cheap to pass up. I had planned on lowering this car because it needed suspension, but these Solowerks were also fairly priced for the good reviews. I was going to go with some FKs or STs, but wanted to give these a shot at $575 shipped.

37172364654_2fc7fdaab2_c.jpg

Thats a great price! I see what you mean.