WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Bent e30 rear trailing arm pics/insight

Boris3

Question

Strange request but does anyone have a picture of a bent e30 rear trailing arm? Need some insight into where they commonly bend. Mine seem fine by sight and feel but I'm trying to pin down what might be causing a rear toe out problem with my car and conventional wisdom says bent trailing arms are a common source. Bushings, both trailing arm (rubber) and subframe (AKG poly), are only a few years old. Tabs on the rear subframe are also good.     

4 answers to this question

In alignment. This is what I've got now.

Front L/R

Camber: -2.9 / -3.0 degrees

Toe -0.01inch / 0.01inch

Rear: L/R

Camber: -2.5 / -2.8

Toe: -0.26in / -0.31in

I've gotten used to the car quirks. It can be twitchy on corner exit esp in the rain. With the repairs and all the parts replaced after the wall hit in 2014, and with no rear adjusters the rear toe was -0.09 left and -0.27 right. As you can see with the recent numbers the toe out has gotten worse. Frame shop says frame is straight but I wonder.

ive heard of the trailing arms bending at the 'knuckle' or bending so that the two 'arms' come out of alignment with each other (twisting)

i suppose the tabs on the subframe where the trailing arms bolt on could also be bending.

if you look at the locations where people reinforce the trailing arms, it gives you a good idea of the problem areas.

e30%20trailing%20arm%20reinforcement%20(

081305-005.jpg

hard to say if that small amount of misalignment is going to be perceptible by eye, with everything attached to the car, though. 

Thanks. Good point on not being able to tell what might be tweaked with everything still attached.

I rechecked my records and we went with rubber eccentric TABs in the rebuild as the quickest way to get me back on track. Turns out that these are notorious though for being hard to get alignment correct on install which could explain the passenger side numbers, and especially for going out of adjustment which could explain the change in the driver's side. 

It also looks like the trailing arms were not replaced after the wreck. Probably one or both tweaked given the hit. 

Anyway looks like rear end suspension drop/rebuild as project for the off season.