WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New ride

Iceddragon

17 hours ago, Iceddragon said:

Experienced a couple of firsts in the car this weekend. 

Heard my first wastegate rattle while leaving the hotel, which I'm assuming stemmed from not letting things cool off properly after beating on it a little. It never came back the rest of the weekend but at least I know what it sounds like now.

I also did my first race. A friend of mine owns an 07 300 SRT8 and we've been talking about running it against whatever I buy for a while now, so that finally happened. I should have beat him in a 20 roll but I hesitated going into third, just inexperience on my part. We both agree that I should have won with a better driver, but I'm extremely impressed that it performed that well. I'm still completely stock so he has at least 100 hp on me...

Wastegate rattle won't have anything to do with you not letting things cool off. However, wastegate rattle is most prominent on cold starts.

Get JB4 or MHD, you'll thank me later.

47 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

2nd that. It is a cold start issue but not necesaarily heat dependant.  Get MHD.  The car is going to break eventually so you might as well have fun before hand.

Stop telling me its going to break, that ruins it!

MHD is coming first, is that compatible with a water/meth kit though? I thought JB4 and cobb specifically have maps for running those but I don't know if MHD does as well.

11 minutes ago, Iceddragon said:

Stop telling me its going to break, that ruins it!

MHD is coming first, is that compatible with a water/meth kit though? I thought JB4 and cobb specifically have maps for running those but I don't know if MHD does as well.

To my knowledge, JB4 is the only one that can trigger water/meth. I love my JB4 and would highly recommend it to anyone, even if you don't want more power. It allows you to monitor tons of variables, scan for codes, delete codes, and comes with some cool features (gauge hijacking, sweeping, wastegate control, 2-step, etc.)

Whoa now!  Put the brakes on the water/meth!  You don't even have a tune yet and you're worried about meth?  Go fbo and worry about meth later.  MHD does literally just about everything that jb4 does except 2-step which you don't need unless you're drag racing, gauge hijacking/sweeping which loses it's cool factor quickly and meth control which you don't need until you max out your injectors and you're far from that.  You could even get an external meth controller if you really wanted.

Flash the car, add some parts, do another flash.  Jb4+MHD is great for maxing out the car but you're not even close to being there yet.  Enjoy the power gains incrementally while you learn how to drive it.

I'm not that interested in the huge power gains from it, its more something I was looking into for the cooling. There isn't any real downside to it after the install so I figure why not, it sets the car up nicely for later. I started looking into E85 a little but that sounds like a bigger pain. 

I could be barking up the wrong tree here, but heat kills everything so it sounds like a relatively good way to keep things a lot cooler. I just wasn't sure how the tunes play with it.I really want to invest in parts in an order that will keep things from blowing up on me. 

16 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Whoa now!  Put the brakes on the water/meth!  You don't even have a tune yet and you're worried about meth?  Go fbo and worry about meth later.  MHD does literally just about everything that jb4 does except 2-step which you don't need unless you're drag racing, gauge hijacking/sweeping which loses it's cool factor quickly and meth control which you don't need until you max out your injectors and you're far from that.  You could even get an external meth controller if you really wanted.

Flash the car, add some parts, do another flash.  Jb4+MHD is great for maxing out the car but you're not even close to being there yet.  Enjoy the power gains incrementally while you learn how to drive it.

Those were three of the differentiators I pointed out :lol:

As you can tell, Pat seems to be an MHD guy and I'm a JB4 guy. I run both and the car always ran PERFECT on stock turbos. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but JB4 has more benefits in my mind. If you want meth at some point, get JB4. It even integrates with port injection so you don't have to run a secondary controller.

PS: Your injectors won't max out. It's the HPFP and LPFP that can't keep up. These direct injectors can supply fuel for days.

15 hours ago, Iceddragon said:

I'm not that interested in the huge power gains from it, its more something I was looking into for the cooling. There isn't any real downside to it after the install so I figure why not, it sets the car up nicely for later. I started looking into E85 a little but that sounds like a bigger pain. 

I could be barking up the wrong tree here, but heat kills everything so it sounds like a relatively good way to keep things a lot cooler. I just wasn't sure how the tunes play with it.I really want to invest in parts in an order that will keep things from blowing up on me. 

I agree with Pat that meth wouldn't be my first mod, but it definitely benefits to cool things down. I'm thinking about adding it now with my current build, but need a new motor first. It never hurts to keep things cooler, but I'd get bolt ons and a tune first. If you have E85 in your area, it's worth mixing. JB4 even has an auto-tuning map that will give you the best performance for your current fuel and temperature conditions ;)

There is nothing wrong with meth injection on a stock car. You can just use water injection at first for cooling. If you run out of injector, meth would be a risky solution if you are running an off the shelf kit. The shurflo pumps don't last very long, and if you run out and do a hard pull things can happen. Meth injection is going to give you the benefit of running high octane fuel with out the 7 dollar a gallon price.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like PO already did the PE mod. And I'll take your word on the mufflers and leave them alone lol, I have lots to learn about modding this thing and advice is one of the reasons I come here.

Case and point, your first suggestion just arrived today. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow to try it out since my car cover disappeared somehow anyway, I'll need a new one to keep birds away...

IMG_20170926_213515.jpg

IMG_20170926_213541.jpg

13 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

@jc43089 the n55 sounds a lot nicer than the n54 and you can correct me if you know otherwise but I believe the f32 doesn't have resonator's where the f30 does.  It's the same in the e90/e92.  Sedans have resonators.

Hmm, that is quite possible, now that you mention it I don't think there was any resonator.