Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snap

Favor: M20 Engine Measurement Needed

Question

I need the distance from the transmission mating face (back of the engine block) to the flywheel mounting face on the crankshaft from an M20. I want to verify that this distance is the same on the M20 and the 24V so that I don't run into any clutch engagement/disengagement issues. I have read some bullcrap (most things on the internet) and at least for an M20 clutch on an M42 you need a spacer, or a different throwout bearing or something.

I'm just looking for some peace of mind here.  

Capture.JPG

5 answers to this question

I think I might be missing what you are actually doing / asking besides the actual measurements(which I do not know) . Are you running a Getrag 240 or 260 with your M50 swap?

E30 G260.

Just verifying that the flywheel sits in exactly the same location as it does on the M20 so I don't end up with any clutch engagement/disengagement issues.

I don't trust the loads of 24v swap info that resides online.

information spans from " you don't need to do anything to do a 24v swap, just set the engine on top of the car and start driving" to  "your 24v wont run right unless you have corresponding OBD1 roundels from an E36"

Jdesign likes this

My own g260 based swap and a few others I have done never had any tom foolery done with distances or spacers or things and I never noticed anything going on with the clutch. 
Stop worrying so much about things (except for reverse thread bolts) and get this thing in your car! 

Snap likes this