m42b32

Garage cleanout/1991 318i parts car

26 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I am moving to a slightly smaller garage and will need to get rid some extra parts I will likely not need as well as my parts car (1991 318i) because I will no longer have a place to put it at the end of september. I will be removing as much as I can before then and will likely be scrapping the shell unless someone wants it. The car is a 5-speed, has 400k on it, but has been maintained (mechanically) very thoroughly for its entire life. Engine runs great despite the mileage and trans shifts well. It is very rusty as it has been used as a winter beater since 1999. 

Pics:

33444453324_59a867a244_b.jpg

33444439164_4c5da18e90_b.jpg

33444445564_44a4f3d5d9_b.jpg

33444461174_ea5b856d85_b.jpg

Things I know I will be keeping/using so far:

- Much of the interior (door panels, front/rear seats, consoles, possibly the carpet, etc)

- Differential

- Headlights

- Cluster

- Bumpers (At least the front, may be willing to sell the rear)

- Radiator

- I lip and valence trim (possibly valence if it's savable, though I doubt it)

I will post things for sale/free as I take them off the car and determine that I wont need them, or PM me if you are looking for something in particular. I have fairly limited time so if you want/need something that is time consuming or difficult to remove, I'll make it extra cheap if you help pull it (Engine/trans for example). 

I'd like to keep it as a roller for as long as possible. 

Car is located in wauwatosa. 

42 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

WELL. Fugg.

What about all the ebrake stuff Jose?

And the center console dealio next to it?

Ebrake mechanism inside the car is all good, the stuff under the car (like the springs holding the pads) are probably junk as the ebrake doesn't work and is pretty crunchy when you pull the handle. Cables might be ok but I'll have to check. If they're junk, I do have an extra set of used cables that one of the liners pulled out a bit but could probably be fixed. 

I'm going to keep shifter and ebrake consoles for now as I think those are missing from my white sedan's interior. 

37 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

Since you're keeping the interior I'd imagine you wouldn't want to part with the rear ashtray if you have it?

I am going to keep the ash trays as they are missing from my sedan. I do have one that has a corner cracked off the frame from my coupe if you are completely missing one and want to fill the spot, works perfectly otherwise. 

14 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Also is the windshield fckd

Only issue I know if is I think there might be a chip in on the drivers side. Its dirty so I haven't gotten a good idea as to how much pitting there is, I can get a better look in a day or two. 

1 hour ago, m42b32 said:

I am going to keep the ash trays as they are missing from my sedan. I do have one that has a corner cracked off the frame from my coupe if you are completely missing one and want to fill the spot, works perfectly otherwise.  

I'll take it, mine is gone completely. 

3 hours ago, Boris3 said:

Running/driving at 400k?? Impressed!!

Yeah!! It honestly drives really well and I feel bad parting it out, but the rust is really killing it, the chassis is basically coming apart at the seams and the jacking points are really crunchy. The guy I bought it from replaced all the brake lines and stuff, but it still needs fuel lines, maybe a fuel tank (its on it's second but its really crusty), and a lot of other stuff as its pretty much falling apart because of the rust. 

You should keep the cluster as garage wall art. My daily must be pushing the high 200s but I can't get the new odo gears to work-- been stuck at 234567 (yeah I know, figure that one out) since I bought it.

If folks are looking for filler pieces and not resto-pretty I think I still have the ash trays front/rear and the e-brake console piece left over from the race car build. Rear ash tray has the slightly cracked lid but works, and the ebrake console has a few surface bubbles.  

KaiserRolls and m42b32 like this

7 hours ago, Earl said:

Are those brake lines saveable?

I haven't really poked around the underside of car too much yet, I will check and let you know!

@P_Roloff, you could maybe use the lid from mine and the base from Boris3's to make one good rear ash tray. 

Interesting. If you two are in the same area so that I wouldn't have to make two separate trips from Madison I think I'd do it. Otherwise it's not a huge deal, I'm not all that concerned with having a perfect one. 

Pretty close to each other (I'm in New Berlin and he's in Wauwatosa), though I wont be around much this weekend. PM me with contact info and I can send some pics.

You should arrange to buy much more from m42b32 since a Madison run for just an e30 ash tray isn't really worth it. If it is worth it congrats you've got it bad...and welcome to the addiction.

Snap, m42b32 and P_Roloff like this

I was planning on grabbing some other stuff as well, and it's a good excuse to hit some good driving roads over in the kettle moraine area that I otherwise don't get to drive as often as I'd like. 

@KaiserRolls I took a look at the windshield and it is actually not bad, fairly clear. It does have a small rock chip/crack (about the size of a dime) right in front of the driver but that looks to be it.

@Earl The brake lines look fine, a little surface rust on the fittings and stuff but all solid. They look like they were made up of generic line from the auto parts store 

Earl likes this

Beats having to bend them all myself lol. Do the rear ones all look like they can be pulled without mangling them too much?

Thats definitely true. I think its doable, they went in maybe a year or two ago so they'll probably come out a lot easier than the stuff that has never been removed. 

If the bottle caps/tires are to be sold when you finally get rid of the shell let me know. I may need a setup to store the racecar on come winter.

16 hours ago, Boris3 said:

If the bottle caps/tires are to be sold when you finally get rid of the shell let me know. I may need a setup to store the racecar on come winter.

Yes I'd be willing to sell them. Just sold a set of steelies with old tires to P_Roloff for the same purpose haha. The bottle caps have a usable set of snow tires on them if you're interested in that. I'll shoot you a PM in a few weeks when I have the car more torn down and don't need it rolling anymore. 

Sounds good. I've got a set of mounted snows for the daily and was thinking of just storing the race car on the daily's all seasons when when I switch over. But always exploring alternatives.

m42b32 likes this

19 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

How much for the front valance brake ducts?

The car only came with one so I'm going to use it to complete the set for the other sedan, sorry! I do have a drivers side duct but its got a crack on the front, you can have it for free if you want it. 

Just now, Earl said:

Also, manual or electric sunroof and does the drivers rear window work? 

Manual sunroof. The sunroof panel itself is rusty but the mechanism seems to work fine. The handle is in perfect condition and the header panel is really nice, very minimal separating of the vinyl. 

I'm not sure if the window works, I think it did but could be wrong. I wont be at my shop again till next week but next time I am I could charge up the battery and see if it works. 

Earl likes this