WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

DD2017.PNG

Route Map UPDATED 9/18https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XBTOxpyQTSmbNJXXzGgGAtbm0p0&usp=sharing

UPDATE 9/18:  I expect that Devil's Head Resort should be a safe bet as a final congregating point that wont be a nuisance to anyone (remember the Holy Hill parking lot 2 years ago during Saturday Mass?!?). We will stop at the resort for a photo so someone with a >2.4 megapixel camera can get a few shots of the group. If this ending point somehow isn't workable, the contingency plan is to stop at the truck stop gas station/hotels by the I-90 onramp. Unless you live in Baraboo I would imagine everyone will be hopping on I-90 to get home so this should be a good place to stop and fuel up and chat for a bit before heading home. See the little red star on the map by I-90.

Anyways, it wasn't my intention to type this much red text and also not my intention to over-plan/over-manage the drive but hopefully the additional forethought will help ensure its a safe and enjoyable event.  -Snapple

Capture.JPG

NOTE: The maps/routes you see in the examples below are not correct. Please see the link for the current route map^^

Download the Google Maps app and you can send the route to your phone for turn-by-turn navigation and never get lost!

1) Click the link (you will need to open it in safari/chrome or your normal web browser, NOT Tapatalk).

2) Sign in to your Google account

95baaeaaa07c60ef067f8cea45400cca.jpg

3) Use the map like you would a normal navigational route. You can set your destination from your home to "START" to get to the meeting point at Jason's shop in Cottage Grove.

b153945c601314e2f3593d604981f0a5.jpg

I know a Madison-based drive is farther away for some of you, including the usual Milwaukee-based members, and the time may not be appealing. It will be good to give some of the Madison-based members/lurkers a chance to enjoy a meet since it will be a little more conveniently located for them, and also give the Milwaukee-based members a taste of some different roads than usual.

Its something different.  Its worth a shot. Hopefully more than 2 people show up  B)

Interesting. I really like this idea! Count me in, my morning is completely open on the 19th. If anyone wants to stop at my shop prior to the event so your not sitting in a Texas Roadhouse parking lot, you are more than welcome to come by. Unless@Snap has a reason for using that location my shop is along the route from Milwaukee and only 2 minutes directly off of the interstate.

Capture.JPG

Thoughts?  

1 hour ago, Snap said:

I'm up for that! As we get closer to October hopefully we can get a solid count of who is committed.

We also need a photographer. Who has a DSLR and more talent than the average Craigslist poster?

i will do photos at the stops. i have more talent than the average CL poster, I surmise.

wish I could do cool photos during the drive, but, its hard to power slide and hold a camera at the same time. 

in for MKE breakfast club.

Interesting. I really like this idea! Count me in, my morning is completely open on the 19th. If anyone wants to stop at my shop prior to the event so your not sitting in a Texas Roadhouse parking lot, you are more than welcome to come by. Unless@Snap has a reason for using that location my shop is along the route from Milwaukee and only 2 minutes directly off of the interstate.

Capture.JPG

Thoughts?  

I did not know this!

I chose a start point that is at the buttcrack of the major freeways, easily identifiable, but not a large parking lot such as a mall where people can get lost, and not in use during the hours we will be there (see how much thought I put into this? Sheesh!)

Let me look into it, i'd love to have a peek at the shop space and cars anyhow if you will be joining

16 hours ago, Snap said:

I chose a start point that is at the buttcrack of the major freeways, easily identifiable, but not a large parking lot such as a mall where people can get lost, and not in use during the hours we will be there (see how much thought I put into this? Sheesh!)

Let me look into it, i'd love to have a peek at the shop space and cars anyhow if you will be joining

There is a park and ride right off of the exit by my shop as well, and it will be much less hectic than easttowne mall area. On the other hand, I have room for about 40-50 cars in my parking lot (just confirmed with google satellite maps) so there's that too. 

ROUTE UPDATED, check the link in the original post. No longer passing through Waunakee. These are good changes! I noted that one of the original roads was gravel/washboard. I will be driving the whole route via google streetview to make sure there arent any other unpaved roads

After scoping out the route on Street View, I found few more improvements to the route and made yet another revision. Reasons for changes: less prone to getting split up or lost, better continuity, removed a boring section, some roads were just too narrow and underdeveloped, and a decreased overall travel time by staying on the freeway just a tad longer.  This should be the last one unless I find out there is some road construction or something else going on. Check it out in the first post!

I'll be going to preview it one of these days. My only experience with roads anywhere near Madison are out in Mt. Horeb which is utterly amazing from a smoothness and great twisties standpoint, but horrible from a vista/view standpoint. I would like to explore some new areas so I will probably run your route and scope out some other roads near there. 

42 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

I was considering the same thing. I always thought it would be cool to run a cruise along the Mississippi river. I have heard many amazing things about "The Great River Road" Hwy 35 in Wisconsin and have never been on it. 

I'm in La Crosse on Hwy 35, its a beautiful road and somewhat twisty but essentially just a highway. We wouldn't be able to have much twisty or fast fun, but it would be a great casual cruise.

IMG_20170722_163042.jpg