WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

S52 engine advice

AsparagusMike

So I have a shot at buying a s52 motor from a guy near me. He had plans to swap into a e46 but never got around to doing it. He Said it has around 80,000 miles on it and it was running before it was pulled from the original car. I am very excited to come look at the motor as I have been on the hunt for a 24 valve motor to swap into my e30 for quite soemtime. I have plans to meet with him tomorrow to check it out. Comes with the wiring harness and ecu. Could I possibly get some last minute pointers to watch for when inspecting the motor? Any small things to check for to be positive I am getting something solid to work with? Got a few pics he sent me as well. Thx in advance!c95999b5aaf5b842ff9ccaa77c41a81e.jpg4130902ffd32b9866f92da0bea65f6a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Check the vin on the back of the engine. I bought an S52 advertised as having 130k for $1800. It turned out it had 256k miles. I was refunded on account of Paypal's "item not as advertised" buyer protection.

How much is this engine? I couldnt find anything suitable for under $2400 when I was looking and thats how I ended up with an M52

Welp, ended up picking up the motor! Definitely was happy with the purchase. The guy selling it was really honest and was really cool about the whole deal. Checked the motor out pretty thoroughly and everything seems to pass inspection. Got the vin off the block as well as from the ecu. Looked it up and it said it was from 1997 bmw e36 m3. 8f54cf4caa0dab6f2a7c4996b2535d0a.jpgb90a37485a97e6e161d0a9921db04f8b.jpg78027f1f23f8eebf425b71af5a7517c2.jpg

8 hours ago, AsparagusMike said:

I was convinced when you flew pass me on that frontage road, lol.

Haha! I felt like kind of a knob for doing that, but I figured you would enjoy it! 
If you ever need a hand with 24v stuff, or e30 stuff in general you have my number, don't be afraid to hit me up!

I'm sure you will quite enjoy the s52 :) 
Hoping to have it done over winter?

Id love to have it done over the winter but it really all depends on the $$$, sense school and all. Also whats a good used m20 flywheel worth? The motor didn't come with a flywheel and I'm dying to do a compression test on it (I did get the starter with it though). I know that m50 lightweight flywheels are $$$ and the stock ones are bricks. There's a guy on R3V that wants 150 for one but I can find them on eBay for that price. Is offering him 120 to low?