WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M52

B C

I spent all my cam install time today scrubbing my garage floor with some concrete cleaner. Lets just say yesterday I earned an Oil-Dri sponsorship for my accurate scale depiction of the BP Gulf oil spill.

I also discovered the E36 oil pan on this engine (which i'm not using) is cracked so that saves me from having to try selling it.

My vamos rebuild starts with a gross negligence towards following instructions and a blatant disregard for left handed threads so I snapped the torx screw inside the deep bore of the helical gear. Unrepairable.

1339cf11b995b51736c2a96eb6fcb235.jpg

This is the helical gear

7c5d7192c7251362d2833435a8a61170.jpg

I didnt want to curse my vamos by getting my Dora gloves all dirty but unfortunately oil on precision machined aluminum is very slippery and the vamos piston got away from me.

ebf66e0542967928910e72ebded40ed5.png

7cca1ba7fbad0d42823706271b2970f8.jpg

I couldnt quite get a good grip so I used some vise-grips, but the handles were oily so I dropped it again.

8de47e81d8d418b317a345f5b6bb947e.jpg

So the broken screw really happened but luckily i had a spare vamos assembly to pick parts from so no usable vamos parts were harmed in this rebuild.

I installed the Beisan. Its spelled Beisan, not BeSian, Beisan, like Nissan. Just like how its a Giubo and not a Guibo, and a vamos instead of a vanos, wait, dammit!

The Beisan anti rattle ring was installed and the piston seals were replaced. Its nice and tight now. Just hope it all works.

99e2aeeb34ef111073b23af41102af50.jpg

6a18a8ca39b28ef382bbf3c13077c475.jpg

69ff4e6fd78e3ae5f4b723922fb85635.jpg

Primary cam sprockets have been removed. Chain tensioner guides are groovy and will be replaced. Lower chain guides are broken/ disintegrating and will be replaced.

Someone has been in here before and had the sprockets off. The vanos seals were brittle so it wasnt for a vanos rebuild, the guides are plenty worn so it wasnt for that. So I would assume the head gasket has been replaced or something.

I could be sitting on a fresh BMW head gasket.

or

the engine could have overheated, they slapped on a 284k mile head with a Fail-Pro gasket and reused the head bolts.

who really knows.

I need to get my oil pan and baffle dropped off for welding so it is ready to go on in the near future.

Ball

Sacks

Intake cam is in but while torquing the bearing caps to 15 Nm two of the studs pulled out

I can only imagine the horror people feel as they torque head bolts into an aluminum block and feel it give way.

4c65d9027a118f3e0d77f7f57ccb2ae5.jpg

Not the end of the world at all but I will have to remove the cam and trays/lifters to helicoil them.

Minor annoyance. Not the progress I was hoping for today though