WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M52

B C

Headers sandblasted

ed5253edb42f598977ba51a95a1a7702.jpg

I am trying out the Eastwood Internal exhaust coating because the ceramic coating I used to use is priced like liquid gold I no longer have any spray guns or a compressor, and I like to experiment.

dfd81da1b56453ce4503e7e934eb39ee.jpg

A new E30 gauge temp sensor arrived. The E30 sensor is M14x1.5 and the 24V head is M12x1.5

So I chucked it up in my cordless lathe and turned it down, then rethreaded it. Works like a charm!

2a94c165c028d6d9d5dc52b9083196c4.jpg

7055fe5a0141a78b4170de971d17c4e0.jpg

An aluminum water pump pulley and power steering pulley arrived (replaces the stock plastic garbage) the water pump pulley is a smaller diameter and runs the water pump an extra 8% faster. 8% doesnt sound like much but whatever, I bought the pulley because I needed an aluminum one and I mention the 8% overdrive in case any 24v folks are desperate for every last cooling upgrade they can get.

3b5c3bdb505f6cd46f830c43c4820fd4.jpg

I wish they sold the Sachs spline lube individual packets that come with OE clutch kits. I could only find a tube of it. That means I can install the trans onto the engine tomorrow! If anyone needs some spline grease I have plenty to spare.

Since the X52 head has only 1 coolant sensor provision, I removed the throttle body coolant nipple from the head and installed the sensor there. The blue coolant sensor location could very well be an M14 thread like the stock E30 brown sensor, I never checked, but the coolant nipple location is M12x1.5

There comes a time in every man’s build when he has to break out the zip ties.....

Kaiser and JC have been very helpful in sending pictures and info about wiring harness routing. There is at least one bracket im missing that helps with retaining the clump of wires and I cannot find it on RealOEM. Thats okay. Its not the end of the world. The wiring covers I installed jumbled up the natural lay of the wires so it isnt how it would have come from the factory but I feel I have routed wires as safely as possible to minimize rubbing, pinching, or possible electrical interference on the shielded wires.

Enter: zipties

For comparison purposes I am posting the mess under the manifold before and after. Im not really trying to show it off but i cant see both images side by side on my phone so here they are for comparison.

So here it is

OBD2

f55b4f04d1737de72e29e664dfe79f9b.jpg

OBD1

2b297bcda0a9c7243b844deb6b94fa32.jpg

feba98bb80f180da89260d16b1e61873.jpg

Engine is installed.

I still have a long way to go before it gets fired up or drives but I have freed up the other side of the garage so the family truckster can park inside and avoid the snow.

The feeling of accomplishment from hitting this milestone will give me some fresh motivation to take care of the numerous smaller tasks remaining

Dave, you are the man! Thanks for your help yet again.

So don't get your hopes up for any rage drift footage anytime soon. Based on my to-do list I should be able to fire the car up around thanksgiving and maybe drive it in January.

I am replacing the control arms, master cylinder, and hopefully the brake calipers, pads and rotors "while I'm in there" (these ones have about 20,000 hard miles) BUT my female counterpart is watching purchases like a hawk so I really need to liquidate some of my remaining parts stash items to justify buying some last odds and ends.

wish me luck n stuff..

this also assumes that my mechanical work, wiring, or vanos/timing aren't dickered so having a massive backfire through the intake, blowing a hole through the precious plastic m50 manifold is still a possibility when I finally get around to running it.

1 hour ago, Snap said:

this also assumes that my mechanical work, wiring, or vanos/timing aren't dickered so having a massive backfire through the intake, blowing a hole through the precious plastic m50 manifold is still a possibility when I finally get around to running it.

I assume you turned the motor over a few times on the stand to ensure that timing stayed in place, if so your timing work is on point!
I have yet to see anything go through one of the manifolds, but it would be kind of cool if you did?

Keep on truckin'!

I turned the motor over 1/4 turn and it was jammed, heard a metallic thunk, so i turned it back to tdc and used a mini-sledge to get the cam thinger back on. It kinda rounded the corners on the cam blocks but the vanos will makeup for it lololol

Jk if its somehow not perfectly timed then i quit engines

14 hours ago, Snap said:

I turned the motor over 1/4 turn and it was jammed, heard a metallic thunk, so i turned it back to tdc and used a mini-sledge to get the cam thinger back on. It kinda rounded the corners on the cam blocks but the vanos will makeup for it lololol

Jk if its somehow not perfectly timed then i quit engines

Electric motors are the future!