WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Steelblue E36 Build Thread

Rekpoint

On 4/20/2018 at 9:08 PM, Rekpoint said:

Slight update. Bumper is at my buddy shop for paint. Wheels are getting Re-Powdercoated Kingsport Grey. Also by the end of next weekend Ill have a 95 m3 parts car for some goodies unless he flakes on me stuff will be forsale.

If you are buying that avus blue one in Minneapolis I'm interested in the aftermarket exhaust

Got my last package of Glass European headlights today! I ordered 2 sets. and A ZKW pair came and a Bosch set came. I decided to run the ZKWs because they will be better for HIDs and I gave my dad the Boschs for his 318ti.

Anyone have any recommendations for hid kits? 

20180501_173656.jpg

20180430_173515.jpg

I always used VVME.com and bought multiple sets to have as spares. I got 4 years out of the first set before they started going bad. There are probably some better sources. DDM Tuning seems to be popular but not necessarily because they are good/the best deal

This might be a dumb question but are the bulb sockets all the same on the glass lights?  I have Depo ones that came on my car, they have HIDs but can I just get a halogen bulb?  I think they are maybe an H1?  I'm clueless when it comes to lighting options.

Just now, jc43089 said:

This might be a dumb question but are the bulb sockets all the same on the glass lights?  I have Depo ones that came on my car, they have HIDs but can I just get a halogen bulb?  I think they are maybe an H1?  I'm clueless when it comes to lighting options.

Yeah you should just be able to pull the hids out and put halogen bulbs in. Unless the PO did something janky.

1 minute ago, Rekpoint said:

Yeah you should just be able to pull the hids out and put halogen bulbs in. Unless the PO did something janky.

Good to know, is H1 the right kind of bulb?  It looks like its a bundle of plugs, it doesn't look like wiring is cut, looks like adapters that came with the HID kit or something.

42 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Don't cut anything.  It's not that hard to get open.  Are both latches stuck, cable broke?  I have gotten e36 hoods open by pulling out a kidney grill and working on the latches through the hole.

Sadly I have done that. I have the kidney out bumper off hole cut in shroud. I have jiggled, pulled  & WD40d almost everything. I even tried to unscrew the latch from the underside. Note it's only the passenger side that's stuck and It releases alittle but but not all the way.

If it is just the right side latch that is stuck, you can just grab the cable that is between the latches through the kidney holes and pull it forward.  Possibly pushing down on the hood above the latch to help it release if the tension is high.  My cable is broken inside the car and that is how I get my hood open, janky I know but I have a ratchet strap as backup.  It's super classy.