WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Steelblue E36 Build Thread

Rekpoint

First local Cars & Coffee is April 14th. That means I need to bust ass to do a bunch of things. Spring break starts week after next so nothing will be happening then. Going to be ordering a BUNCH of parts later today.

To do list.
Get midpipe
Get m3-fogdeletes painted
Sandblast/refinish/get tires mounted on style 32s
Do shifter bushings
Mount dinan exhaust + midpipe
Mishimoto rad + expansion tank
Mount m3 bumper on car
+Minor things like polish out my corner tails and sides. Mount new clips on m3 bumper.

All going to be done within 4 weeks hopefully. Sadly the dinan exhaust will be on the bottom of the list due to me doing it with the shifter bushings. Bahhhhhhhhhh

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hahahaha. Big coolant puddle under my car.... Cant get the expansion tank open for the life of me. Im lucky I didn't overheat today because my radiator is officially FUCKED. Good thing I am leaving EARLY on Saturday for spring break. I have a rad on order so ill have a bunch of parts when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Coolant level sensor seems to be melted. Bought a new one. My rad looks fucked tho. Surprised I never overheated. Going to be buying a new guibo to install while I put on my exhaust/shifter bushings. Should I go OEM or get an upgraded one? I want to auto-X this summer if that makes a difference.700863082a8028a5ec56b3ebfbf96473.jpg867e8792ba63861358f2982c6729a626.jpgf64280d5d229470dd0383c9eccdf2ede.jpg557ef80b651d33d2687ad381e31b75db.jpg

No, dont get an upgraded gIUbo (named for its creator Giunti Boschi, not gUibo like guidos).

The engine produces power in pulses. The giubo is one of the components that helps smooth these pulses out. The urethane/solid alum. giubos seem like a good idea only for drift/drag where you are kicking the clutch and have other driveline upgrades. Get a stock rubber one. Genuine BMW isnt even a requirement IMO. Im not sure what brand I bought 6 years ago but it has held up fine to some launches and hard driving at ~double the stock power.
I had a chance to replace it yet again during my engine swap but it still looked new so in it went.

7 minutes ago, snap said:

No, dont get an upgraded gIUbo (named for its creator Giunti Boschi, not gUibo like guidos).

The engine produces power in pulses. The giubo is one of the components that helps smooth these pulses out. The urethane/solid alum. giubos seem like a good idea only for drift/drag where you are kicking the clutch and have other driveline upgrades. Get a stock rubber one. Genuine BMW isnt even a requirement IMO. Im not sure what brand I bought 6 years ago but it has held up fine to some launches and hard driving at ~double the stock power.
I had a chance to replace it yet again during my engine swap but it still looked new so in it went.

Good deal! Ill be ordering a URO guibo! 

Starting to think about what color I am going to be painting/powder coating my style 32s.

Right now this is what I am thinking

White

Bronze

Silver

Gold

Black

Here is a pic of a steelblue E36 with white wheels. I'd like everyone's opinion.

In addition I plan on installing lowering springs this summer.eeb8541a27bcddbcfb95525fac719264.jpgacf3d13a95776e1b575b4b8c035cf444.jpg

I personally am not a fan of the white wheels but you would probably want to replace all your brake pads with a compound that doesn't dust severely

I'd be very interested to see how a darker metallic blue would look for the wheels, giving the car a two-tone color scheme.

perhaps a color like this

4-9-720x359.jpg

17 hours ago, snap said:

Gumbo

As for wheel color, If it were my car I would do an oem style silver. Partly because I'm boring, but also because its a great/clean look when paired with a reasonable ride height and some meaty tires:

ZWU0NGFlNWNmNmRiNjM0Njc4MjE2NTBhNjRmMWUx

A really metallic graphite color could look pretty good too, for a more aggressive style than plain silver

Gumbo

As for wheel color, If it were my car I would do an oem style silver. Partly because I'm boring, but also because its a great/clean look when paired with a reasonable ride height and some meaty tires:
ZWU0NGFlNWNmNmRiNjM0Njc4MjE2NTBhNjRmMWUxYzHs446LawDhl6D-IoWzx3QzaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZTIyYTRhYjZlMmQ1MmNmZjBmNTBiNDQ3MWQ5ZDBiNjAwYzgzMDAzNzQ5MDk0MWNkY2Q2NWJlMDY3MzAzMGNkYy5qcGd8fHx8fHw2NDB4NDI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

A really metallic graphite color could look pretty good too, for a more aggressive style than plain silver

So like a gunmetal grey? I like that.