WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Steelblue E36 Build Thread

Rekpoint

6 minutes ago, Rekpoint said:

Haven't decided one yet. I was told by a buddy to primer it up myself so they won't charge me for prep. That's what I am doing tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd pick a shop and check to see if that actually saves you money.  Some shops don't care that you prepped it and will want to do it themselves to guarantee it's done right.  I'd hate to see a lazy guy exert energy he didn't need to.

31 minutes ago, Rekpoint said:

Haven't decided one yet. I was told by a buddy to primer it up myself so they won't charge me for prep. That's what I am doing tomorrow.

Parts store rattle can primer is not what you want to be prepping something with unless you plan on using a rattle can to spray the bumper itself. 

You can still use a rattle can (not optimal), but you need to get a two part epoxy primer ($20 for single use can, available at most paint shops) if you want to have any chance of them not priming it again, the prep work is what makes the paint job so don't be afraid to pay someone else for their knowledge and experience. 

See below for my qualifications
I learned a lot, and it was a ton of prep work.

Ben's E30 Paint

Okay maybe I miss the car a bit guys...

I'd pick a shop and check to see if that actually saves you money.  Some shops don't care that you prepped it and will want to do it themselves to guarantee it's done right.  I'd hate to see a lazy guy exert energy he didn't need to.
Ok I'm going to run and do that now

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Went in to get a quote. The quote guy was not there for the second time. They took pictures and they are going to call me back.

I may go to go to macco on friday if my fog deletes come intime.

9 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

Going to macco tomorrow for a paint quote, lets see what they quote for there nicest paint job. 

I also picked up the cheapest sand blaster from harbor freight (The one Spence used for his walnut blasting) Lets see how well this thing will sand blast the paint of my new style 32s.

Nice, I'm not sure how it would work for that type of stuff. I've only used it for walnut blasting valves. Let me know how it goes!

They work well with the right media. Over time the sand will degrade the tip and it will need to be replaced. I have the same one at my work and I use it quite often.  
Yeah I had a bag of play sand outside from a project a few years ago. I grabbed it dumped it into a bin to dry. Hopefully it'll work good. I'll find out Saturday.

7 minutes ago, Rekpoint said:

Yeah I had a bag of play sand outside from a project a few years ago. I grabbed it dumped it into a bin to dry. Hopefully it'll work good. I'll find out Saturday.

NO!

I dont care if you have a respirator, playground sand is straight up silica. Once its pulverized from blasting, it will buttf*** your lungs so hard. 

Not even once, please dont. Even legitimate blast media is something to be very careful about. 

NO!
I dont care if you have a respirator, playground sand is straight up silica. Once its pulverized from blasting, it will buttf*** your lungs so hard. 
Not even once, please dont. Even legitimate blast media is something to be very careful about. 
Good call. I looked up the brand orginally on Google it said it was silica free. Looked on the spec sheet. Definitely has silica. I owe you my lungs. Hell. Take one.

2 hours ago, Earl said:

All fog deletes, ebay and oem, fit very tight and you need to put then in a certain way to not break the clips. I've owned three sets and they're all the same.

Well if that is the case I wont even bother buying a new set. When they get painted along with the bumper Ill try to install them and not break any more clips!

If the one that has the broken clip wiggles Ill drill a hole in the side and ziptie it LOL. 

2 hours ago, Earl said:

You can also use silicone to hold it in. I used Gorilla silicone in a pinch once as one of mine took off like a rocket when I was street sharking and my lip flexed my bumper. I'm going to sit and wait for Jason to chime in and say that silicone isn't to be used as a means of fastening something lol

For the m3 grill I am going to use the correct fasteners and some silicone for added measure.

Silicone is NOT NOT NOT a glue, its a sealant. Meant for SEALING things. Like a gap. It has adhesive properties but its not meant to glue things.

Do you use a spoon to cut your waffles in the morning?

Do you brush your teeth with soap?

Do you wear women's underwear?

All of the above exaptations are possible, but its doesn't mean they are right. If you disagree, just continue doing what you have been and I will just look the other way. <_<