WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Steelblue E36 Build Thread

Rekpoint

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heat wave today. Decided to start working on my m3 front bumper!

Before and after of the warp I worked out. I ended up heating the whole bumper with a heater then focused the heat gun on the warped area. I used a thing of wood and clamped it down till it cooled. Now it needs to be filled.

I am going to start working on the cracks tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestion beside JBweld plastic bonder to adhere the crack together? + fill some dents?

(I know to Dremel the back of them out first and use renforcement mesh.)

cd6afe0bb375c13db26f48c339bfbd86.jpg35df30e0df43693a6cbcbd73da860d69.jpg2062f4bf89793f1d6a83b002a44b47bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Depends on the location and rigidity. In the past I have used 3M products and always have great results.  They have a few types depending on the material you are working with and a Mesh that helps a lot for larger repairs. 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/applications/bumper-and-plastic-repair/

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Automotive/Automotive-Products/Plastic-Composite-Fiberglass-Repair/Plastic-Repair/?N=5002385+8709313+8710869+8711017+8711413+8716717+8743653+3294857497&rt=r3

I have used filler products and bonding products depending on what I have on hand or the job im trying to complete. Panel Bond is insanely strong but might not be the best for the job, so be sure you know what you are using/working with first or you will be doing it again. Flexibility helps a lot vs. something strong and rigid. I repair my civic lip about 5-10 times a summer and replace it every year. There isn't a lip available for the bumper on my car, so right away the new one has to be sectioned and filled and I can tell you that with the wrong materials, it wont last longer than a few miles. 

IMG_5704.JPG

Since I was impatient I bought 2 syringes of JBweld Plastic Bond. A set of Bondo spreaders and a can of overlypriced adhesion promotor.

No place in town had mesh for the backside of the platic bond so I bought the adhesion promotor instead.

I think it turned out pretty good. I taped the cracks together, Dremeled out the cracks, ruffed it up more with sand paper, wiped everything down with acetone sprayed the adhesion promotor and went to town.

Please don't hate of my mini popsicle stick application.... [emoji14]

Second pic is what the cracks look like now with the plastic bond on the backside.

Tomorrow hopefully I'll start sanding down some of the ruff edges.

Then it will hopefully be ready for a coat of the plastic bond on the outside to smooth it out even more.d8f33e80e3b5ac7814c15f814af59360.jpg9ba6654d643c5b43a3688ce7ca1bcf99.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

While doing my daily research turns out to really do any catback exhaust additions to the 323is, I need to get a 328 or m3 midsection. The 323is came with a modified 4 banger exhaust.

The more I know I guess. 

Hopefully my go to e36 still has the midpipe on it at the scrapyard.

Picture is not mine. Top is the 323is midsection, bottom is 328/m3.

JEF_0414-L.jpg