WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Lake Express Ferry with low-ish car?

josepilove

I am thinking about taking the ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon this weekend in my e28. The last time I took a vehicle on the ferry it was a suburban, so I wasn't concerned with low-car obstacles. 

Has anyone brought their lowered car across? I'm not dumped, but probably only have about 4" of clearance. 

Any insights are much appreciated. 

• 1 month later...

I can tell you I took the Merimac ferry with my civic once. I got out and watched the ferry as it pulled in and watched other cars load up and everything looked fine. So I pulled into line to wait my turn. I got on the ferry just fine with very little maneuvering, life was great. Little did I know that it was the other side that was the issue. A 8" dip that most normal cars were scraping their bumpers was the obstacle. I folded my bumper in half deciding the only way to make it was "hitting it with speed" although it sounds worse than it was, I made it out alive and the bumper was undamaged. I will certainly think twice about doing that again. 

My civic and its ride height at the time for reference.

instgram.JPG

I took the Lake Express from Milwaukee to Muskegon about a month ago in my stock 2006 330i sport with a full trunk of luggage.

I had a light high-center scrape underneath the car while getting off and on again in Muskegon. I pulled straight on--with a stock ride height car I assumed there wouldn't be a need for stancelyfe maneuvers.